Notices

Vital readings...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vital readings...?

I was just wondering what kind of gauges everyone has on thier set-up? Right now i have a boost gauge and an a/f...i know the a/f is pretty much inaccurate, but it came with it so i thought i'd install it...everyone says to get an EGT gauge and a wideband, but what exactly does the EGT gauge read out do, other than tell the temp? Like, what does it mean if its too hot/what not? As for the wideband, its an o2 senor correct? So i just buy a "wideband" sensor and connect it with the a/f gauge? Lastly, at idle, my a/f gauge just bounces back and forth from rich to lean...i know its not accurate, but is that normal? TIA

I tried to search, but apparently, the "archived" search function doesn't work..
Old 03-26-2003, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vital readings...? (Infinity_Racer)

-your A/F gauge jumping back and forth, normal, that's why they're not accurate
- EGT measure the temp of the exhaust gas coming out of the head, the higher the number, the leaner you are, the lower the number the richer you are...
anything at or below 800 celcius is normal at WOT, cruising is about 700 deg. 900 celcius is too hot, your valve may be burning too hot now...you're leaning very bad... these temp number depends on where you hook up the EGT probe
the closer you are to the head, the hotter the readings are. Those numbers above is assuming that you have put it at "STANDARD LOCATIONS" which is runner # 3 about 1.5" away from the head.

- Wideband is a 5 wires Oxygen Sensor, it is the MOST accurate reading for fuel mixture out there. You need a 5 wires oxygen sensor, the box that converts the reading into a lambda value ( number in voltage ) and a display. YOU CAN NOT USE YOUR A/F GAUGE to read the wideband, it doesn't work that way. The reading will be in numerical value in Volts as the units. again, 10.5V is too rich, 14ish V is too lean...

stan

Old 03-27-2003, 03:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vital readings...? (Flamenco-T)

OOH...thanks man, that explained a lot...so in a sense, the egt and the wideband do the same thing? is it necessary to have both, or can you just do with one? Where can i get a wideband? People usually sell just the o2, or is there a "kit" that has everything?