Vanjen clamps for IC piping.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Vanjen clamps for IC piping.

I'll make it short... was told I needed solid mounts to have these at every coupler for the IC piping. Is that true? I'm not beating the **** out of my car more just a "for looks car"... Voltex/spoon that kinda stuff.

yes its turbo'd I didn't just attach fake IC piping.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:58 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Vanjen clamps for IC piping.

Vanjen/Wiggin clamps have basically no flex to them, and the system needs to have "give" somewhere, or you'll just find the weakest point and snap it over time. Even if you aren't beating the **** out of it, you're still having a little fun with it, right? There's gotta be give somewhere. Find one spot that you can hide a standard poly joint, and you should be fine.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:22 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

With solid mounts the clamps won't have enough misalignment to break . Granted the VanJen clamps are nothing like real Wiggins clamps.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Forgot to add 70A hasport mounts would that be "solid" or are we talking 88+?. So the wiggins are the "real deal" ones? I looked at them and it mentions them as "flexible" I like the look of the vanjen alot more.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:23 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For all intents and purposes, they're essentially the same. Wiggins came first, IIRC, but they both use what is essentially a double V band clamp with an inner sleeve. They really aren't made to be flexible. You have a little bit of wiggle room in your pipe alignment, but not very much.

Look at it this way. Your intercooler is hard-mounted onto your bumper support. It has absolutely zero flex. Your engine flexes as it produces torque. Your intercooler piping essentially acts as a connector between the engine and the frame. With normal motor mounts and normal poly connectors, as the engine flexes, the connectors "take up the slack" and allow the intercooler to stay stationary without putting stress anywhere. That's also why exhausts generally have flex fittings in them somewhere - the manifold is mounted directly to the engine, but the rest of the piping is mounted to the frame, so the flex pipe lets things move a little without hurting anything. It's not a perfect analogy, because the exhaust hangars are soft rubber as well, but you can at least kind of get the point. With Vanjen/Wiggins clamps, there is no wiggle to the intercooler piping. When your engine rotates itself from producing torque, that wiggle has to go somewhere. You're putting stress on wherever the weak spot might be, depending on how you have your intercooler mounted, which might be mounting spots for that, or the clamps themselves, or even the intercooler end tanks themselves.

I'm sure there are people out there who are running full Vanjen/Wiggins/V band clamps everywhere, and haven't noticed any problems, but it's just a question of if you really want to put the added stress on things and possibly find out the hard way where your weak spot was. I'd find a good spot to hide a poly joint. There's bound to be a spot on both sides of your intercooler, hidden behind the bumper where you could hide them.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey troll. GTFO you have no idea what you are talking about.

You will be fine using all vangen clamps. They seal with two orings and offer much more play than a silicone coupler.

They also make noise as your motor rocks and the pipes pressurize. Your inter cooler piping should be supported as the fitting will rock in out and side to side and the tubing will slap ****.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

V bands are nothing like a vangen wiggins.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forced-induct...lones-2422072/

Here is a good thread. In all honesty in the aircraft world most all fuel, bleed air, and ecs lines use a "wiggins fitting" it's kind of a loosely used name when there are tons of different brands and styles.

Vanjen is like a knock off hydraflow wiggins fitting.... Even tho hydraflow isn't a wiggins per say its .... Well you get what I mean.

The Pegasus is a better and cheaper choice vs the vibrant IMO.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:46 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

My hydraflow clamps came off of an f22 at Dobbins ARB down the street lol.

The thing is they only allow for a few degrees of movement so if your motor rocks a good bit theywon't really work .
Old 01-01-2015, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I use to work there building them in Marietta! Did you come with ferrules or did you get some made?
Old 01-01-2015, 01:56 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

I need ferrules.

Customer heard me talking about Wiggins clamps one day and was like what size and how many. A fewdays later he showed up with a paper bag with 4 new Wiggins clamps and waslike tell no one lol
Old 01-01-2015, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is mainstream performance still alive in dallas Georgia?
Old 01-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get some machined I suppose. They are welded and swaged on to tubing. Hydraflow accept 3 degrees or so of play but perform extremely well.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:47 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

As far as I know they are still there. Haven't been that way in a while since Charles gave me a pair of fenders
Old 01-01-2015, 02:48 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Afaik standard 2.5" ferrules should fit these.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Contact #tigwerks on ig. He has welded ferrules for sale. Maybe tag him with a photo of your wiggins fitting and make sure he has the right ones. The high pressure grey ones look similar but they are fluid only. The red with the plastic strap are slightly different.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Burns sells them as well. 52 a pop.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have vanjens. I can tell you we broke on from engine movement. Put solid mounts and didn't break them again. Then need to be aligned well and the orings need to stay well lubricated for a positive seal. I removed on and put a coupler when I went to a larger throttlebody and still have the second one on the pipe. I'm not a huge fan of it honestly I'm going back to couplers. They're a pain in the *** and I just don't trust it.

And solid mounts is solid mounts any kind of urethane reguardless of euro meter has movement. We had the red 92a inserts and still had movement
Old 01-01-2015, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Vanjens look sloppy and cheap to me honestly
Old 01-01-2015, 05:48 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

I have the red ones with the locking strap. Iirc they are of an engine bleed air line or something.

Solid mounts means billet mounts. Any type of urethane mount eel have movement no matter what, especially if you're making lots of power. As far as I know avid is the only company with billet sold mounts.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We still have slight movement with billet mounts. I'll be doing a brace at some point if I ever get a dog box.

I actually like the look of the vanjens
Old 01-09-2015, 03:24 PM
Def
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
Afaik standard 2.5" ferrules should fit these.
The red Hydraflows with a plastic safety strap use a different ferrule than the older purple Wiggins clamps (i.e. they are not interchangeable, o-rings will not seal when you use the wrong ferrule for the specific clamp). The ferrule is optimized to weigh a few grams less (that's why they're used on newer fighters like the F-22 and F-35). The "grey" Hydraflows are made out of titanium with a high temperature safety strap, and used on air, fluid and bleed lines around the engine bay where the temp goes over the 350 deg F service rating of the aluminum Hydraflow clamps.

You can order the ferrules for the red Hydraflows, they are readily available, but pricey. I haven't worked with them in a while, otherwise I could provide you the actual MFR part numbers.

I've got quite a few years working around all the various versions of clamps on the F-16, F-22 and F-35, so everything above is 100% accurate.