Notices

Valve Clearance for Boost?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Clearance for Boost?

Hey guys just wondering what you run for valve clearance specs for boosted applications. My tuner said to stay on the tighter side of the factory specs. However i have been seeing some people on here say that it's better to run them loose. The head is a stock gsr and it will be running about 14 psi of boost at the most. Right now the intake side is a tight .006 and the exhaust about a .007
Old 04-01-2008, 02:48 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Valve Clearance for Boost? (GSROWNSU)

I'm not sure what boost has to do with valve lash...? Running looser clearances will only serve to decrease your valve lift which can hurt power. Stick with the factory spec.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just figured if you had the valves too tight and with the extra heat and pressure from boost you can burn up your valves easier.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Valve Clearance for Boost? (GSROWNSU)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSROWNSU &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys just wondering what you run for valve clearance specs for boosted applications. My tuner said to stay on the tighter side of the factory specs. However i have been seeing some people on here say that it's better to run them loose. The head is a stock gsr and it will be running about 14 psi of boost at the most. Right now the intake side is a tight .006 and the exhaust about a .007</TD></TR></TABLE>

You should get a new tuner. Go with the factory specs. If the cams are aftermarket, use the specs on the cam card.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol yea your right i should get a new tuner....and go against what King Motorsports says right? I was looking for opinions not smart *** remarks. And i am still in factory specs
Old 04-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GSROWNSU)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSROWNSU &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Lol yea your right i should get a new tuner....and go against what King Motorsports says right? I was looking for opinions not smart *** remarks. And i am still in factory specs
</TD></TR></TABLE>

to answer your question, yes if they told you to run something other than what was recommended by a cam card if it was an aftermarket cam or what Honda suggests if the cams are stock.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Valve Clearance for Boost? (PHDZINE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSROWNSU &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Lol yea your right i should get a new tuner....and go against what King Motorsports says right? I was looking for opinions not smart *** remarks. And i am still in factory specs
</TD></TR></TABLE>

...if you think King Motorsports is all that great...why are you asking Honda-Tech for opinions. You are already going against what they say by asking this question...SMART ***!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 05:56 PM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Valve Clearance for Boost? (PHDZINE)

Stay within stock spec (assuming that your cams call for that). There is no reason to go on the tighter side, so yes you can go against what your tuner said.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Valve Clearance for Boost? (Dunc)

I know more than a few people who've been tuned by & followed the advice of people at King with great results, they don't hire drips.

If this was 'Bear' (Mike) telling you this, I'd feel even better about it. But do take your application goal into consideration, as for them they always try for absolute max power.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea this is Mike telling me this. He was also the one who built my motor and the one i've been dealing with for quite a while now. I trust what he says 100% i was just seeing what other people do. And as far as what you said about King going for absolute max power....Mike and i already had a talk about that lol. Thanks tho and to PHDZINE i was just looking for other opinions i didn't say it was going to sway what i was going to do. Sorry for being an *******.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:20 PM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (GSROWNSU)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSROWNSU &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yea this is Mike telling me this. He was also the one who built my motor and the one i've been dealing with for quite a while now. I trust what he says 100% i was just seeing what other people do. And as far as what you said about King going for absolute max power....Mike and i already had a talk about that lol. Thanks tho and to PHDZINE i was just looking for other opinions i didn't say it was going to sway what i was going to do. Sorry for being an *******. </TD></TR></TABLE>
No worries, we still love you haha. Being an *** is the offically licensed past time here at H-T
Old 04-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Valve Clearance for Boost? (Dunc)

my tuner recommends to run them tighter too