Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Forced Induction
Reload this Page >

Using OEM B-Series conrods for a turbocharged application..normal to do?

Using OEM B-Series conrods for a turbocharged application..normal to do?

Old 05-08-2019, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Using OEM B-Series conrods for a turbocharged application..normal to do?

Anyone run ls rods on oem pistons with boost? Can you post up what your setup is? Im looking for ideas
Old 05-08-2019, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Using OEM B-Series conrods for a turbocharged application..normal to do?

Pretty much anyone with a stock bottom end turbo LS or LS/VTEC has...

If you're inquiring about stuffing them in a D series, skip it and put some aftermarket internals in it. D series internals are stupid cheap.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Using OEM B-Series conrods for a turbocharged application..normal to do?

Originally Posted by Aradin View Post
Pretty much anyone with a stock bottom end turbo LS or LS/VTEC has...

If you're inquiring about stuffing them in a D series, skip it and put some aftermarket internals in it. D series internals are stupid cheap.
^^
Plus, won't work in a D without major modifications.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes i should of put ls rods in a d16. I have a set that i got for free thats already machined and bushed for d16. So i was thinking they are good for 300hp, why not shoot for 300. Or atleast 250. But not sure if the oem pistons can handle it.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sdenton8 View Post
Yes i should of put ls rods in a d16. I have a set that i got for free thats already machined and bushed for d16. So i was thinking they are good for 300hp, why not shoot for 300. Or atleast 250. But not sure if the oem pistons can handle it.
If that's the case, your next problem is that OEM pistons are press fit.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ls rods are press fit arent they?
Old 05-08-2019, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sdenton8 View Post
Ls rods are press fit arent they?
But the small end bushings you install to make them work with D16 pistons are for free floating pins.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was unaware of that. I always thought they was setup for oem pistons.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:23 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

You got the LS rods for free...that should tell you about their value today. As stated, a set of forged Eagle rods are cheap enough so that I doubt you'll find many people using modified LS rods in D16 builds any more.

You may be OK @ 250 hp on OEM cast pistons, but I wouldn't recommend it. You'll be itching to turn up the boost in no time, and may push past the limits of what the stock slugs can handle. It also depends on the tune - you're planning to pay a professional to tune it, aren't you? You're looking at about a $500 difference between cast and forged pistons - chump change in the grand scheme of building a turbocharged Honda.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: