Notices

Using exhaust from 2 cylinders to drive a small turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using exhaust from 2 cylinders to drive a small turbo?

I have searched... cant find much of anything on the topic.

Would this be possible? Lets say a t25 from an sr20det on an h22a, obviously the t25 is is too small and would "choke" the engine / blow hot air in higher rpms. What if the turbo was driven only by the #2 and 3 cylinders?? or if the downpipe was split in half, 1 half of which goes to the turbo? Sorry if this sounds retarted
Old 04-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Using exhaust from 2 cylinders to drive a small turbo? (stunn'd)

Yes, it's retarded. You could just, you know, buy a properly sized turbo that doesn't choke the motor!
Old 04-11-2008, 02:18 AM

or you could just run low boost, duh
Old 04-11-2008, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone have any knowledge as to why this would or wouldnt work? Any negative effects?
Old 04-11-2008, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stunn'd)

T25 w/ 1/2 the cylinders = the lag of a propery sized w/ all cylinders. Using only half the cylinders would not spool the turbo fast making the point of using the small turbo point-less.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

But the lag associated with this would be better for top end and and less choking? Thats exactly what im looking for.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You would have un even back pressure on the cylinders that have the turbo connected to it verses the ones that go straight thru your normal exhaust. Souds stupid to me
Old 04-11-2008, 10:02 AM

Default Re: (blwn95civic)

So let me get this straight.....you want to put a t25 on an h22,only 2 cylinders,to make it lag so it wont choke the motor in the upper rpm range?

Just becasue the turbo will lag,doesnt mean its still not going to choke off the motor. Choking the motor is when the motor is requiring more air then the turbo is blowing.....lag isnt going to make the turbo push more cfm of air. You can make the turbo lag all the way to 5k,but when the turbo spools if its not pushing enough air,its not going to produce any better results.

Why dont you just do what everyone is telling you,either buy a properly sized turbo for your h22,or run the t25 on some low boost (even though i personally think that turbo is way to small to be mated on the H) If you use the t25 and run it out of its efficiency range,its going to choke the motor,reguardless if you have it spool at 2500rpm or 5500rpm
Old 04-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stunn’d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But the lag associated with this would be better for top end and and less choking? Thats exactly what im looking for. </TD></TR></TABLE>
I don't want to assume something I shouldn't. . . What are you planning to do with the other two cylinders? Run them into another equivalent turbo for a twin setup, or something else?
Old 04-11-2008, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Using exhaust from 2 cylinders to drive a small turbo? (stunn'd)

There would be absolutely no positives to this setup over a CORRECT turbo build. None whatsoever...not to mention good luck doing the welding to make this work...
Old 04-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blwn95civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blwn95civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You would have un even back pressure on the cylinders that have the turbo connected to it verses the ones that go straight thru your normal exhaust. Souds stupid to me </TD></TR></TABLE>

So then what if the downpipe was split instead of using just 2 cylinders?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by peakaboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So let me get this straight.....you want to put a t25 on an h22,only 2 cylinders,to make it lag so it wont choke the motor in the upper rpm range?

Just becasue the turbo will lag,doesnt mean its still not going to choke off the motor. Choking the motor is when the motor is requiring more air then the turbo is blowing.....lag isnt going to make the turbo push more cfm of air. You can make the turbo lag all the way to 5k,but when the turbo spools if its not pushing enough air,its not going to produce any better results.t

Why dont you just do what everyone is telling you,either buy a properly sized turbo for your h22,or run the t25 on some low boost (even though i personally think that turbo is way to small to be mated on the H) If you use the t25 and run it out of its efficiency range,its going to choke the motor,reguardless if you have it spool at 2500rpm or 5500rpm</TD></TR></TABLE>

So your saying the turbos compressor will start sucking instead of blowing, like negative boost.. even if the turbine side is lagging??? Im sorry, that dont make sense .

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tjabo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I don't want to assume something I shouldn't. . . What are you planning to do with the other two cylinders? Run them into another equivalent turbo for a twin setup, or something else?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No.. im not planning a twin turbo h22a

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by totsie7944 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There would be absolutely no positives to this setup over a CORRECT turbo build. None whatsoever...not to mention good luck doing the welding to make this work...</TD></TR></TABLE>

One positive is the t25 cost me $0.. and welding is not a concern
Old 04-11-2008, 02:39 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So then what if the downpipe was split instead of using just 2 cylinders?</TD></TR></TABLE>

LMAO, this is silly

so now we have a turbo off 2 cyls, then 2 down pipes for that, then the exhaust for the other 2 cyls.

Sounds great hope you have a welder to make all this fancy custom piping

Dude please look up on google how a turbo charger works, because you obiviously have no clue.

If you want to use that turbo then run like 7psi using all 4 cyls

Modified by SpeedEuphoria at 3:45 PM 4/11/2008
Old 04-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rota92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rota92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I get free stuff all the time, it doesnt mean I try to take free bike pedals and bondo them into my dash for bling lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I would say bike pedals bondo'd to your dash is a little extreme. I think a t25 h22 is on the edge of feasible.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpeedEuphoria &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

LMAO, this is silly

so now we have a turbo off 2 cyls, then 2 down pipes for that, then the exhaust for the other 2 cyls.

Sounds great hope you have a welder to make all this fancy custom piping

Dude please look up on google how a turbo charger works, because you obiviously have no clue.

If you want to use that turbo then run like 7psi using all 4 cyls

Modified by SpeedEuphoria at 3:45 PM 4/11/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im not sure what your thinking, but it would not be very complicated..
I have a mig setup, millermatic 90, I can and do use it...

I understand you could be a wealth of knowledge, but im really looking for answers from someone who didnt just make their 4th post.

I dont care if it sounds like a stooopid idea, I just wanna know if it would fu*king work.. a yes or no answer would seriously be appreciated
Old 04-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Would this not be the same or close to experiencing alot of wastegate creep, only.. without the wastegate? Although in this case, the creep would save the turbo from overheating and building up backpressure.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok well I have more than 4 posts and I say it's a waste of time and energy. If you want to turbo, then do it but at least do it with the right tools.

What your suggesting is like using a swiss army knife to split wood with LOL
Old 04-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You know, when you find out how absurd this idea truly is, you will probably be embarassed that you acted like a tool to everyone about it. There's no harm in asking a question, even if it is really kind of a dumb one, but you are really adding insult to the injury you're inflicting on yourself.

So here's the deal, I think I know who SpeedEuphoria is--with his 4 posts on this board--and he has pretty much hand built a ridiculous and unconventional turbo car for himself. He probably knows as much or more than many of the people on here this board, no matter how many posts they've made. You can't judge a person's knowledge by their post count.

Also, I'm not one to call an idea stupid, but if you knew how a turbocharger worked in conjunction with the engine it's on, you'd understand that you really can't be creating a whole bunch of exhaust back pressure in half of the cylinders by running their exhaust through a turbine, while letting the other half of the cylinders have an unobstructed, free-flow exhaust path without asking for your engine to destroy itself. Your combustion events would be seriously out of whack.

So that's why I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you were going to use two of these smallish turbos to create a twin-turbo setup. It might be a bit whacky, but at least it could work. Your idea is ridiculous, and doomed to failure.

Is that plain enough for you, or did you just post on here so you could argue and irritate?
Old 04-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup, I probably will haha.

blwn95civic pointed out if it was connected to just 2 cylinders it would have uneven back pressure, I completely understand that wouldn't work too well... But, if the exhaust went from 4 to 1, then back into 2 would the backpressure still be uneven, perfectly split between all 4cyl, or who the hell knows?
Old 04-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, that would even things out, but it would be a totally different concept from the one in your first post, and would essentially be the worlds most open wastegate. You'd have to create enough back pressure in the half of the exhaust that didn't go to the turbo to force some of it through the turbine, or the turbo would not spool. What I just described is a more difficult and less precise way to create the same effect as a wastegate. . .

The more I think about it, the more sense a twin-turbo using these turbos is making.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tjabo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tjabo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, that would even things out, but it would be a totally different concept from the one in your first post, and would essentially be the worlds most open wastegate. You'd have to create enough back pressure in the half of the exhaust that didn't go to the turbo to force some of it through the turbine, or the turbo would not spool. What I just described is a more difficult and less precise way to create the same effect as a wastegate. . .

The more I think about it, the more sense a twin-turbo using these turbos is making.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, this concept is the one Ive been relating to in all of my posts except the first one. Sorry for the confusion. So my previous post of this being like an open wastegate would be correct?

"You'd have to create enough back pressure in the half of the exhaust that didn't go to the turbo to force some of it through the turbine, or the turbo would not spool."

Exactly, so if I just put a Y pipe after my 4-1, the turbo might be realllllly laggy, how could I build a bit more back pressure? I guess I would have to experiment? Ive got nothing but time

Old 04-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, HT i just want to applaud all the people who have been patient and explained and tried to help this poor soul, as for me i say this:

judging by the way your posting you obviously are dead set on doing it, so go ahead and do it, post up the results and let us know how it works