Notices

Using 2 OEM head gaskets to lower compression

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using 2 OEM head gaskets to lower compression

I want to lower my compression on my b16a2 motor without tearing up the block and changing the pistons. Would it be safe to just slap on 2 OEM gasket on top of each other? What would my compression be if i did this. whos actually done this? whats your setup? and how much boost you running?

Also i don't want to go with cometic because i keep reading how they blow all the time.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Using 2 OEM head gaskets to lower compression (SpdFrk)

i don't know if it would work well or what ur comp would be, but you'll definitely have to adjust cam timing
Old 06-06-2004, 12:47 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: Using 2 OEM head gaskets to lower compression (Pengo)

you have to pop the rivets out and re rivet them together. It works good for some, others have had sealing problems. And yes you will need cam gears to zero out the timing again.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Banned

Default Re: Using 2 OEM head gaskets to lower compression (Mpir3)

What you have to understand is what adding more HG material does to the quench area. Honda did a good job designing their quench pads, and when you increase the distance between the pads you drastically reduce the quench of the piston and the head. This makes your motor MUCH more prone to detonation and odd burn characteristics. The air fuel mixture does not distribute as well as it would stock and in extreme cases fuel drops out of atomozation. Thus you have very rich parts of the combustin chamber and very lean parts. The lean parts explode prematureley and ruin your day.

In a pinch I've known of race teams to grab two HG's and copper spray them and slap them on. Running race gas yes the engines would last a few passes. It is my experience and opinion that ruining the quench area is a very bad thing to do to a street motor that runs on pump gas.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Using 2 OEM head gaskets to lower compression (danl)

Have you had any first hand experience with the cometic gasket's blowing? I haven't seen them blow as often as you make it sound.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Using 2 OEM head gaskets to lower compression (m R g S r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by m R g S r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you had any first hand experience with the cometic gasket's blowing? I haven't seen them blow as often as you make it sound.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No not yet. I did a search on them and there where alot that blew on poeple. I also came up with the conclusion that stock HG's are the way to go.

Old 06-06-2004, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Using 2 OEM head gaskets to lower compression (m R g S r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by m R g S r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you had any first hand experience with the cometic gasket's blowing? I haven't seen them blow as often as you make it sound.</TD></TR></TABLE>

:werd:

I'm using a cometic head gasket sprayed with copper sealant and haven't had any problems at all nor heard of any blowing.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by danl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What you have to understand is what adding more HG material does to the quench area. Honda did a good job designing their quench pads, </TD></TR></TABLE>

On the GSR, yes they did. The rest of the engines are proper fucked, had that pointed out to me recently. Look at the quench gap on an OEM non-B18C1 sometime, it's worthless. Reel that back in to 0.065" or somewhat less and it would be functional.

Right now, for this guy, I'm thinking of a post about 6-9 months back where a race team's built engine either blew or was not ready, so they took a stock B16, layers two new OEM headgaskets with the middle layer of the used one, and proceeded to boost the living **** out of the engine for the weekend. Consistent 10.30's in the 1/4 as I recall.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:07 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by danl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What you have to understand is what adding more HG material does to the quench area.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeh its going to mess up quench but what the lower compression allows you to do more then makes up for it...

Personally ive never heard of cometic headgasket's blowing. I know of alot of people who use them on there race motors w/ no problems.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Using 2 OEM head gaskets to lower compression (DIRep972)

DIRep972, I'm going to disagree on the quench subject when dealing with an engine that has quench in the first place. In this case, doesn't matter.

The only cometics I've know of blowing were an 87mm B21A1, literally no material left between cylinders for the headgasket to seal. Compound this by the guy running stock injectors and ECU on the engine (lean city) and the best he could get it to hold a headgasket was 150 miles.

Sounds like it's cometic's fault, huh? Yup, every one of their headgaskets that ever blow is because they manufacture ****.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:42 PM
Smarter than you

Default Re: Using 2 OEM head gaskets to lower compression (J. Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DIRep972, I'm going to disagree on the quench subject when dealing with an engine that has quench in the first place. In this case, doesn't matter.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeh, I shouldn't have said "mess up" quench.. I should have said, "change" quench. I don't think its going to change much when looking at the big picture.
Old 06-06-2004, 04:45 PM
OG triple OG

Default Re: Using 2 OEM head gaskets to lower compression (DIRep972)

ive used a cometic for a long time with no problems, some people have sealing problems , but i havent had one problem with mine . get a thick cometic and copper spray it
Old 06-06-2004, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Using 2 OEM head gaskets to lower compression (SpdFrk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpdFrk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I also came up with the conclusion that stock HG's are the way to go. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Stock OEM Head Gaskets!

I've asked around alot and it seems like the stock OEM head gaskets are
Old 06-06-2004, 08:15 PM
OG triple OG

Default Re: Using 2 OEM head gaskets to lower compression (B00ST2nR)

ill be using an oem gasket , but my block will be o-ringed as well