Notices

UberNoober...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UberNoober...

Regarding Uberdata...
I've been gathering information about cheap engine managment for the past couple of weeks...
Originally i was planning on running the "afc-hack" on my Obd-0 B16 EF Hatch then i read some not so good things about it, then i continued with my search and came across Turboedit so i could save some cash and stay obd-0. Then i saw that alot more people were using Uberdata and had a lot of good things to say about it. To sum things up ...I decided to go with Uberdata.

I downloaded Uberdata v1.66(stable version) onto my laptop and was playing around with it and kind of getting the feel for it. will v1.66 be everything i need for what im looking to do?
I want to be able to datalog and tune "on the fly" or street tune myself.
I'm going to go with the Zeitronix ZT-2 WB02...will v1.66 be compatible with this?
My Laptop has both USB and Serial Ports...which one will i want to use for datalogging?

I dont want to "cheap out" with my engine managment. i know uberdata is free and all but there is still money to be spent. with that being said, let the questions begin:

-What all do i need to run uberdata and datalog?
Heres what i think i need:
*Obd-1 chipped&socketed ecu
*Obd-1 Distributor for conversion
*4wire 02 sensor ( do i need this if going WB02?)
*Laptop / Uberdata
*WB02 sensor/controller (Zeitronix ZT-2) < will this work fine with UDv1.66
*Serial or USB cable (which one is better?)
*Time
*Anything else?

Here come some questions i should already know:
(but, its late and the first time i tryed to word this i got booted offline so it all got erased)
-Will i still need a burner if i have datalogging capabilities?
-What is a ROMulator?
-Which is better for datalogging , Serial or USB ?

I'm planning on having someone start me off with a chipped&socketed P28 computer with a base rom and datalogging cable for my application. I should be ableto drive the car on the base rom right away correct?
then once the car is running/driving i can make changes from there and fine tune? im sorry, im anxious to get the parts and get tuning...it seems like one of those "you just gotta do it" type of things.

Anyways...i better stop typing before i make a fool out of myself , probably too late.
theres no such thing as a stupid question, all im trying to do is learn.

I posted this in the UberdataForums but that place doesnt seem to see much action.
So please...help me out.
Thank you for your time.
Any help would be Great.
-Rickle
Old 02-15-2005, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: UberNoober... (Die-Laughing)

H-T is not the place to ask uber questions. All of your questions can be answered in the uber forum. Click on the link in my sig
Old 02-15-2005, 09:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: UberNoober... (SOHC_MShue)

Old 02-16-2005, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: UberNoober... (Die-Laughing)

Just curious what factors led you to the choice of using Uberdata and converting up to OBD1 instead of saving yourself money and time and staying OBD0 and using TurboEdit?

What engine and boost levels are you going to be running?
Old 02-16-2005, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: UberNoober... (xenocron)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xenocron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just curious what factors led you to the choice of using Uberdata and converting up to OBD1 instead of saving yourself money and time and staying OBD0 and using TurboEdit?</TD></TR></TABLE>

What I was thinking.. I hear nothing but good from Turboedit users on OBD-O Honda's, I'd really give it a good look if I were you..
Old 02-16-2005, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: UberNoober... (xenocron)

yea i was wondering why not use turboedit as well...
Old 02-16-2005, 07:39 AM

I know its not hard to do, but making the dual table maps into one map, kind of intimidates people. It know it is rather easy to do, but just looking at 2 seperate maps makes me happy.

WHen the new version of T.E. comes out, I will use it, because I do like the setup. But seeing how I tune like 2 OBD0 cars, I just don't use it very much to experiment with it enough, to know what I am talking about with it. But from what I see, it is the two tables maps, with a vtec motor.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:41 AM

Default Re: (93turbo16)

he didnt say which motor he is using so i thought that might be a factor...however if splicing maps worries you and you are using a b16a engine, no worries...my basemapper program does it for you!

http://www.xenocron.com &lt;-- it's under downloads
Old 02-16-2005, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xenocron)

true your basemap programmer is sweet
Old 02-16-2005, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

*B16A/PR3

Damn...This is a Complicated decision. More complicated than it should be i feel.

Sure...i'd like to save the money and stay obd-0 but Uberdata seems a tad more user friendly. i wish i was able to keep my pr3 ecu and use that and get the maps for high/low cam. the way you get the high/low cam maps using the pm6 looks kinda whack for some reason.

Damnit!
My brain hurts

I may have fucked up by researching different types of managment at the same time...they got all intertwined in my head.

Im going to learn more about Turboedit and we'll see where that gets me.
This is what i want (and i dont care where i get it) :

-Tuning "On The Fly" is a must.
*so do i need a ROMulator or an equivalent?
and i will still need a burner and eprom?
-Datalogging is a must.
* i already have a Laptop with serial and usb ports
(which is better? or does it matter?)
-I want to be able to do it all myself and learn as i go.

Thats pretty much all im looking for.

Is TurboEdit capable?

Thanks
Old 02-16-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Re: (Die-Laughing)

Borderline...

Datalogging is still in the development (buggy) stages but WILL get there and RTP doesnt even work for Uber yet. yes you can use the Ostrich but it doesnt do live tuing, you have to manually update after making changes.

TE supports the ROMulator but it works sporadically, the creator I believe is looking into this more so that when the next release comes out it should be working nicely doing LIVE updates.

If you go the TE route, you can always sell that PR3 for a pretty penny and have even MORE money in your wallet.

You can also look into BRE (Ben Ogle Romeditor) as they are starting to test dual table VTEC code for the PR3/PWO ecus...good code may not be far away
Old 02-16-2005, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also don't forget that with some widebands you can use the datalogging software that comes with them rather than log through your tuning program. I use logworks with my lm1.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:33 PM

the only thing is, ostrich works perfectly, by just using the upload button. If you are tuning your own car it doesn't make it too bad to do, just change what you want, upload it and then keep driving. If you have someone in the car with you to make the changes, it goes very fast. RTP will be amazing when it works, just a little buggy getting it to work, with uber that is.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

RTP?
I'm assuming thats what "tuning on the fly" or "street tuning" is?

i can get by with making the changes and then saving them to the chip and then they will take affect...thats no biggie,(this is what you mean correct?) i just dont want to travel back and forth to burn new chips and try them out then make changes again ,etc.

Ok..i need an answer for this one:

-What all do i need to get TurboEdit in my Vehicle?
(OBD-0 B16A EF Hatch)
^That includes everything i need to accomplish what im looking to do.

also...

-What all do i need to get UberData in my Vehicle?
(besides the obd1 conversion parts)
^That includes everything i need to accomplish what im looking to do.

Please answer these questions thoroughly.

When you guys tell me about how stuff doesnt quite work so good yet or some things are a little "buggy" or when things works sporadically...it freaks me out.
i dont want these not so good, sporadic acting programs telling my motor what to do...it makes the "safe" feeling i get from deciding not to use the "afc-hack" go away. i dont want to get into how crappy the "hack" is...i know both of the above products are in a different catagory, so no need to go there.

Ok...i have an idea.
Just so i can get an idea of what this is all about.
Can someone walk me through whats its like to have TurboEdit/UberData?

From when you were still using the stock computer...
You swapped the stock ecu for the "Edit/Data" one...
The car started right up with the basemap supplied (or you had to make it)..
You hooked it up to your laptop and wb02?
Then what?

haha, ohh man...i feel like an *******.

anyways...for me blurting out what may seem to be meaningless rabble to you...is the only way i can work my way up to what im trying to get out...you just gotta sort through the rabble

Thanks guys
So far so good. i thank you for helping.

Old 02-16-2005, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Die-Laughing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">RTP?
I'm assuming thats what "tuning on the fly" or "street tuning" is?

When you guys tell me about how stuff doesnt quite work so good yet or some things are a little "buggy" or when things works sporadically...it freaks me out.
i dont want these not so good, sporadic acting programs telling my motor what to do...it makes the "safe" feeling i get from deciding not to use the "afc-hack" go away. i dont want to get into how crappy the "hack" is...i know both of the above products are in a different catagory, so no need to go there.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

When people say that something isn't working like it always should or something is buggy, they are usually referring to RTP or Real Time Programming or programming with the Ostrich (RTP setup for UD). The most basic way of tuning with TE and UD which is burning chips with a burner works pretty flawlessly, unless you do the chipping process incorrectly. This method of tuning requires you to turn off the car and take the chip out of the ECU so you can burn the new program to it and put the chip back in the ECU.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:49 PM

Uberdata isn't buggy with the ostrich, only the RTP part of it, all you need to do is hit the upload button in uberdata, while the car is driving and the change will take place. No need for swapping chips. This is not true real time programming, but it is far better than burning chips. The only thing that doesn't make it RTP is that the changes don't happen as soon as you make them to the map... you just have to hit the upload button.

FOr uberdata in your car.. everything you need is a datalogging cable, wideband, and an ostrich to do full street tuning.

Read up some more on the uberdata website. . I am sure they can help you with some stuff, they are slow at getting back to things, that is the only reason I answer some questions on here.