Notices

Uberdata guys. Need help. Surging/high idle and idling VERY rich.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 02:37 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uberdata guys. Need help. Surging/high idle and idling VERY rich.

The setup:
Stock B16A2
Stock injectors
AEM FPR (stock pressure)
Walbro 255
P72 ECU
OBD2 to OBD1 adapter harness (duuuhhh)
NGK BKR7E plugs gapped to .030

The problem I'm having is that I get a surging anf high RPM (2200 RPM or so) isle when the car is cold. My PLX M500 also tells me that my A/F is running pig rich at idle at around 10.5:1. I'm running a basemap right now that I made using some instructions I found on the uberdata forum (which by the way is worthless for getting questions answered).
Anybody have any hints on getting my A/F up to that magic 14.7 mark at idle and getting my idle speed down?
Thanks in advance.

Modified by IslandSi at 10:42 AM 12/5/2004
Old 12-04-2004, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Uberdata guys. Need help. Surging/high idle and idling VERY rich. (IslandSi)

mine runs pretty high too when the car is cold, after a couple minutes the car idles down to where it should be. also do you have a boost gauge with vac.? just look at where the vac is and change the fuel values in uber and burn a new chip
Old 12-04-2004, 03:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My idle is high and rich to on start up, it is supposed to be, but you can lean it out a little if you feel the need. just like started above.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:18 PM
H-T White Ops

So you guys are saying to lower the values in the first couple columns maybe? This is what mine looks like right now:

Any pointers?
Again, this is running stock injectors on 38psi of fuel, stock timing.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2004, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Uberdata guys. Need help. Surging/high idle and idling VERY rich. (IslandSi)

are you sure your fuel pressure at idle isnt creeping up?

else lean out those spots on your maps to drop the afr's
Old 12-04-2004, 04:26 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: Uberdata guys. Need help. Surging/high idle and idling VERY rich. (ComputerJLT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ComputerJLT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you sure your fuel pressure at idle isnt creeping up?

else lean out those spots on your maps to drop the afr's</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pretty sure. I never really worried about it but it's kinda getting on my nerves as of late. I'll check it out in the morning to make sure the pressure is staying stable.

As for the surging idle. Anybody have any ideas on this? It's not a vacuum leak because once the car warms up it stays stable at about 850 RPM or so.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:51 PM

as far as the surging idle is concerd you need to put on a 2-wire iacv and play with the iacv slider in the new version of uberdata.

go to the link in my sig and check out the forums on how to fix the idle. its an easy fix.

also when i was running turboedit my idle was around 10:1 even with the vaccum maps leaned way out. it was the warmup enrichments ******* things up. uberdata suffers from that to a point also. gl; and search on uberdata's furms
Old 12-04-2004, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine does this too. Its normal because of the obd2-1 conversion.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:57 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: Uberdata guys. Need help. Surging/high idle and idling VERY rich. (ComputerJLT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ComputerJLT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as far as the surging idle is concerd you need to put on a 2-wire iacv and play with the iacv slider in the new version of uberdata.

go to the link in my sig and check out the forums on how to fix the idle. its an easy fix.

also when i was running turboedit my idle was around 10:1 even with the vaccum maps leaned way out. it was the warmup enrichments ******* things up. uberdata suffers from that to a point also. gl; and search on uberdata's furms</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks. I was going to download V1.7 a few days ago but forgot all about it. As far as the warmup enrichment goes, I have mine set at 100 by default. I never got a really good answer as to what that 100 meant. Any idea? It's 100% of what?
Old 12-04-2004, 05:11 PM

Default Re: (IslandSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So you guys are saying to lower the values in the first couple columns maybe? This is what mine looks like right now:

Any pointers?
Again, this is running stock injectors on 38psi of fuel, stock timing.

Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow you got rid of the floating number. How? Sorry I suck at uberdata
Old 12-04-2004, 05:21 PM

Default Re: (mchuang)

i got rid of my surging idle when it was cold by disconnecting the EVAP line on the top of intake manifold, i also unplugged it.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:52 PM

Default Re: (mchuang)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mchuang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wow you got rid of the floating number. How? Sorry I suck at uberdata</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah you do thats an old version
Old 12-04-2004, 06:06 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (ComputerJLT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ComputerJLT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah you do thats an old version</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wasn't going to say anything.
That's version 1.66

About the Evap line.....where exactly is it? What's it hooked into?
Old 12-04-2004, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just keep plugging away at it with minor changes until you get it consistently right.

I went through 20+ iterations just to get the idle, cold enrichment, and high vacuum columns to where they needed to be.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:17 PM
H-T White Ops

I don't think I'm really going to bother with this stock injector map. My 550's are going in and staying in after I get my car inspected on monday. Then the fun begins. Hell, I couldn't get the stock injectors to idle right. I'm going to hate seeing what happens when I try to get these RC 550 monsters to run.

Anybody have a sample map of a B16 with 550s?
Old 12-05-2004, 01:46 AM

Default Re: (IslandSi)

try crome. its a lot more stable than uberdata

pgmfi.org
Old 12-05-2004, 02:13 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (project dc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by project dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try crome. its a lot more stable than uberdata

pgmfi.org</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not an option. Looking for help with my Uberdata setup, not on switching management programs.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:34 AM
honepalm

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The setup:
Stock B16A2
Stock injectors
AEM FPR (stock pressure)
Walbro 255
P75 ECU
OBD2 to OBD1 adapter harness (duuuhhh)
NGK BKR7E plugs gapped to .030

The problem I'm having is that I get a surging anf high RPM (2200 RPM or so) isle when the car is cold. My PLX M500 also tells me that my A/F is running pig rich at idle at around 10.5:1. I'm running a basemap right now that I made using some instructions I found on the uberdata forum (which by the way is worthless for getting questions answered).
Anybody have any hints on getting my A/F up to that magic 14.7 mark at idle and getting my idle speed down?
Thanks in advance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, so many things wrong with this I'm not sure where to start. I guess ill start from the beginning of the post and move downwards.

1) using a non-vtec enabled ECU on a Vtec car will not get you far. Maybe you should actually get an ECU that works correctly with your engine? Maybe a P28, P30, P72? Not knowing this much is NOT a good thing

2) Im thoroughly ammused that you find the UD forum useless because i have a feeling your reading comprehension is iffy if you dont even know what ECU to buy. Then you dont know how to tune idle, which is pretty dangerous if you cant figure out that much. Getting a perfect idle can be trying, but getting it not to be pig rich is not difficult in the least, maybe you should actually figure out how to tune before you go about doing it? Tuning idle is as simple as looking at a boost/vac gauge, then looking at your tachometer, selecting the columns and rows which are effected by this, and taking away fuel as needed. Not a difficult concept, but then again, im starting to second guess that notion.

Now that thats said and done, to comment on Project DC's comment I propose a notion. Look at UD's users then look at Crome's users. Crome's users are mostly made up of people who frequent pgmfi.org. Generally speaking when people frequent that paticular site, they have an idea in their head. Now look at UD's users, they are mostly made up of people who found UD being discussed on a message board like this and generally speaking have less than an idea in their head. So basing UD experiance on posts like this isnt truely fair because the software's feedback is most often limited by the asshat users. I give both software credit. Both software are lacking certain things so your opinion is your opinion, but it was just food for thought. Also to make one more notation, Crome is now being sold so the freeware version has limited features vs UD which is all free all the time. That also accompanies a higher product standard for something being sold vs something that is free and as of last week hadn't had a dollar donated to it in something like 3-4 months( )
Old 12-05-2004, 02:42 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: Uberdata guys. Need help. Surging/high idle and idling VERY rich. (honepalm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by honepalm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1) using a non-vtec enabled ECU on a Vtec car will not get you far. Maybe you should actually get an ECU that works correctly with your engine? Maybe a P28, P30, P72? Not knowing this much is NOT a good thing
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice catch. The ECU is actually a P75 with the needed pieces and parts added to make it a P75. "Jaker" on here did the work for me since my closest tuner isn't exactly down the street (look at location)