Notices

Type R Throttle Body and Intake Manifold, Whats the hp Barrier?? Tony1,earl,Jason??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 06:05 PM
I am a bad person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Type R Throttle Body and Intake Manifold, Whats the hp Barrier?? Tony1,earl,Jason??

I am attempting to make over 600whp on a bigger turbo setup this week but I am thinking I may not be able to with the 63mm Type r TB and intake manifold. Has anyone made over 600whp with a similar setup?? If I'm going to be stuck at 550-575 because of the airflow, I will get a new manifold and throttle body. If anyone has experience with a similar setup and info will be great. thanks
Old 01-07-2003, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Type R Throttle Body and Intake Manifold, Whats the hp Barrier?? Tony1,earl,Jason?? (MotorMatrix

Lisa Kubo is still running a type r manifold, she's gotta be making at least 750whp, probably closer to 800. I've never really tried to push the type r manifold to far, always gone with a jg or something. Lisa and Gary have a thing against jg so they stuck with the type r. They did buy one of our motors from us at Atco because she blew hers up. It had a jg edlebrock manifold and they ran their fastest time at that time with our motor. If that tells you anything...
Old 01-07-2003, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Type R Throttle Body and Intake Manifold, Whats the hp Barrier?? Tony1,earl,Jason?? (MotorMatrix

...LLLLLIIIAAAAR!!

you always have some nice info
Old 01-07-2003, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What size piping are you running? If it is 2.25", probably about 65mm tb is all that you can use. If it is 2.5", your 63mm will probably choke you down. If bigger than 2.5", it goes off my chart. Actually, I don't have a chart, I'm just talking out my ***
Old 01-07-2003, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm just talking out my ***
So typical of you Earl...
Old 01-07-2003, 09:24 PM
I am a bad person

What size piping are you running? If it is 2.25", probably about 65mm tb is all that you can use. If it is 2.5", your 63mm will probably choke you down. If bigger than 2.5", it goes off my chart. Actually, I don't have a chart, I'm just talking out my ***
I'm running 2.5 piping. i know it will choke it down and i wont get maximum hp out of it but in your opinion should i be able to accomplish over 600hp with the right turbo on my intake setup??
Old 01-07-2003, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can't say whether you will or won't but if you do, it should open up some eyes. Would be an accomplishment.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ever thought of porting that ITR Manifold?

A certain someone is running a VERY NICELY PORTED ITR Manifold on their all-motor setup. Can't give it away tho...

Suprdave
Old 01-07-2003, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe call ExtrudeHone and get the Type R "Kubo signature series" manifold.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:22 PM
New User

agreed. I had one done by extrude hone, I picked up 4hp n/a no other changes, gains everywhere above 5.5k. I imagine it would show greater gains with boost.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ever thought of porting that ITR Manifold?

A certain someone is running a VERY NICELY PORTED ITR Manifold on their all-motor setup. Can't give it away tho...

Suprdave
you can only taper bore it, if you bore it all the way, the butterfly's diameter will still remain the same....

stan
Old 01-07-2003, 10:29 PM
I am a bad person

here is the thing. I am not looking to extract every bit of hp out of the intake and throttlebody. I already have more hp than i need for the street setup i run. I'm just looking to reach my 600hp goal w/o switching manifolds and throttle body.I thought maybe someone on here has already gone over 600 or heard of someone over 600 with a similar setup to mine. or attempted it and had problems until switching manifold and throttle body.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:31 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if swapping to a new manifold will see good gains then I cant see why you wouldnt want to do it when the type R mani can easily sell for 200$ and get back that much of whatever u spend on the new mani. but on the other hand, personal preferance here, but the ITR/skunk 2 mani just looks really good when u pop the hood i like the oem-ness.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:38 PM
New User

here is the thing. I am not looking to extract every bit of hp out of the intake and throttlebody. I already have more hp than i need for the street setup i run. I'm just looking to reach my 600hp goal w/o switching manifolds and throttle body.I thought maybe someone on here has already gone over 600 or heard of someone over 600 with a similar setup to mine. or attempted it and had problems until switching manifold and throttle body.
A good friend of mine was using a unmodified Skunk2 manifold generating over 600hp, he just revved the **** outta it
Old 01-07-2003, 10:41 PM
I am a bad person

A good friend of mine was using a unmodified Skunk2 manifold generating over 600hp, he just revved the **** outta it
cool, thats what i wanted to know. its not that i dont want to change it but i am getting a new turbo in tomorrow and dont want to waste my time on the dyno tuning to come up short over just a manifold and throttle body.

by the way john, what is honestly the most hp to the wheels you have seen or tuned on hondata??
Old 01-07-2003, 11:12 PM
New User

As far as I know, you're the highest I've seen or heard of on Hondata. I don't understand why people think that Hondata can't support high hp, it's computers are as fast as Haltech's, and it can idle big injectors no problem. It's only real limitation is the boost it can meter, 28psi. Sure, I wish it had more tunable points, but I say that about just about every management system I've used Beyond that, it works very well.
Old 01-08-2003, 03:44 AM

The worst that could happen with the ITR parts is your intake temps going up.

I forgot who said it by time I got down here, but when you bore a TB you can change out the butterfly. Directed a Flamenco-T, but I'm sure you already knew this.

[Modified by tzsir, 6:45 AM 1/8/2003]
Old 01-08-2003, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

John, are you reffering to Rocky?
Old 01-08-2003, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hahhaaha. I'm not really sure the answer, I know people have made big power on the stock itr intake manifold, and I know people have seen big jumps by switching away from it. My feeling is yes, you can make 600whp on it, but at the same time you may be making 625 or more with the same amount of boost and a different intake manifold. For me, its staying stock after a little extrude honing.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:29 AM
New User

John, are you reffering to Rocky?
yes
Old 01-08-2003, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I ran a bored out stock ls t body from jg, and a skunk 2 intake manifold, I hit 150 with those, I dont know my how much power my car made, it weight 2140 that day so someone can do the math. I think you can make 600 with your setup, others may disagree. This year is the first time I am gonna have a bling bling, holley 68mm t body, and Venom intake manifold, it is ashme it will be in a new car so I wont know the gains, but plenty of people have gained from the Venom or Jg manifolds. I would go to the dyno and see, if you have access to it you can answer your own question, if you can keep it from spining, heheh. Jason