Notices

Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Re: Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..

Originally Posted by Autoworks
Reliable..."consistently good in quality or performance; able to be trusted".
I could go on a tangent here, but I won't.
Knock off turbos...another tangent skipped.
"would an improperly installed Turbonetics..."...1 year warranty, install it wrong, tear it up, send it back, it gets repaired or replaced...reinstall it. If you mess it up again in the same fashion, then maybe you're in the wrong business/hobbie. I'm uncertain if any knock off manufacturers will offer that same service.
If you don't think there is a such thing as purchasing "reliable" parts then well...just buy the cheapest of the cheap and get what you get w/ zero expectation of longevity or reliability. I don't know...best of luck with it I guess.
If you've kept up with the build, most of my major components (Skunk2, NPR, Clevite), are considered reliable. The only "cheap" in the build is the turbo kit itself. It's doing ok putting down the numbers it is with an e-tune by phearable. I want more though, no doubt!
I think you've misunderstood my statement though: Any part is only as reliable as its installer. I will give props on the user malfunction warranty you offer during the first 12. This makes me even more inclined to use said product in the future! By then, I should be able to match a turbo to the cam I'll have in. (Which after much looking into, will be the Bisi 2.4).
Old 06-22-2018, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Cool...for clarification. That is a Turbonetics warranty/policy, not mine.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Springs, retainers, and valves ordered. Skunk2 ftw. Bisi 2.4 cam in the crosshair. Got half the cash saved up for this, should have it ordered soon. Ohhh yeeaahh! Will also order some motor mounts. Gonna look into some Hasports. Not sure..
Old 07-17-2018, 09:46 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Txdragon
Springs, retainers, and valves ordered. Skunk2 ftw. Bisi 2.4 cam in the crosshair. Got half the cash saved up for this, should have it ordered soon. Ohhh yeeaahh! Will also order some motor mounts. Gonna look into some Hasports. Not sure..
HASport are pioneers. All others are imitators. Get the real thing and quit playin'
Old 07-18-2018, 03:43 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Sweet. Will you be assembling the head yourself? Getting any machine work or anything else done while you're at it?

I'm happy with the Hasport mounts, they were a big upgrade. Are you replacing OEM mounts because they are worn.... or just because? Be ready for a battle if you plan on replacing them with the engine in the bay. And also be aware that they will make the car vibrate a good amount, and it will surface all of the rattles. Nothing you can't get used to though.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
Sweet. Will you be assembling the head yourself? Getting any machine work or anything else done while you're at it?
Yes, definitely! Machine work will consist of sizing for 1mm larger exhaust valves. Aside from that, I will assemble, port match and clean the casting defects myself. I've done a LOT of reading on head work and haven't really found any justification on full port/polish and all the trimmings. May see what the machine shop would charge to polish the combustion chamber, if it's not too much, I'll consider it.

Originally Posted by 2x0
I'm happy with the Hasport mounts, they were a big upgrade. Are you replacing OEM mounts because they are worn.... or just because? Be ready for a battle if you plan on replacing them with the engine in the bay. And also be aware that they will make the car vibrate a good amount, and it will surface all of the rattles. Nothing you can't get used to though.
The OEM mounts are pretty squishy, yeah. Until I installed the torque damper, my engine would smack the firewall with a good romp on the gas. The S2 intake mani leaves VERY LITTLE room between my IAC valve and the firewall. I barely have enough room to fit a box end wrench between the brake valve and iac bolts. Lol. I checked the price on the Hasports and doesn't seem bad for all 3. Just not sure which level to get. Given there are 4 levels, I would guess the race application would be good? Vibrations don't bother me too much, it's like a back massage while I'm driving lol!
Old 07-19-2018, 07:25 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Be careful with the mount hardness selection. Read peoples experiences with them. Even the street mounts (65a) are probably 3x or 4x stiffer than oem. They are poly not rubber, so there is very little movement.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A little clip.. 2nd to 4th gear pull. I had to back off just into 4th cause I ran outta straightaway. Lol

Old 07-26-2018, 04:06 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds good!

Man those gears seem so short tho... my 3rd hits limiter right around 100mph.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
Sounds good!

Man those gears seem so short tho... my 3rd hits limiter right around 100mph.
Thanks! I was shifting at about 7k. It revs pretty fast though with that 8lb flywheel. Lol
Old 07-26-2018, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Very good. At last we watch it alive.
More videos! Im trying to brainwash some people to turbo their D instead of doing nonsence B swaps.
Edit.
Are you sure that wasnt 1 2 3 gear?
Old 07-27-2018, 02:30 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr
More videos! Im trying to brainwash some people to turbo their D instead of doing nonsence B swaps.
Edit.
Yeah 1st thru 3rd seems more like it.

Turbo D's will always be cool in their own way
Old 07-27-2018, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Edit.
I intended on starting it as I left my driveway but it started recording as I shifted to 2nd **shrug**

Edit. I'll try to get another vid from a proper start. I've got some errands to run today and will be on the highway.

Last edited by Txdragon; 07-27-2018 at 05:13 AM. Reason: added info
Old 07-27-2018, 06:20 AM

Edit.
if I had any of the other D series again, I'd gladly give them away to you. You would have just paid the shipping. I got rid of mine and will never own one of those ever again.

Even the new L-series 1.5 DI TURBO engines are an easier platform to manipulate than these demon-possessed engines. But I digress: If I had to involve myself in a D-series project, it would only be a Turbocharged one, but that'd be my limits.

I guess I've become a snob like Gilliespie of HASport
(Video for L15B7 at 3:55)

Last edited by TheShodan; 07-27-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
if I had any of the other D series again, I'd gladly give them away to you. You would have just paid the shipping. I got rid of mine and will never own one of those ever again.

Even the new L-series 1.5 DI TURBO engines are an easier platform to manipulate than these demon-possessed engines. But I digress: If I had to involve myself in a D-series project, it would only be a Turbocharged one, but that'd be my limits.

I guess I've become a snob like Gilliespie of HASport
I wouldn't turn away a B-series, but it needs to remain in the teggy it belongs in. Lol
Old 07-27-2018, 08:11 AM

I wouldn't turn away a B-series, but it needs to remain in the teggy it belongs in. Lol
Or Civic SI-R (EM1), EK9, or Del Sol, or anything in Japan.

There's a reason you see more parts still available from Honda (albeit expensive) on B-series from the last 28 years vs. even the D-series. .

Old 07-27-2018, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

95% of the cars here were d series. B series swap is at least 2000$
I can turbo anything with around the half money.Plus its super cheap to make a forged D series
Old 07-27-2018, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I can turbo anything with around the half money.Plus its super cheap to make a forged D series
^^ This..
The D-series has had some great breakthroughs for performance. The Z6 being the best D platform, with just a little money, can be both fun AND competitive. Most of the new Honda owners don't realize potential because all they see is their boy pushing 600hp in his B-powered civic and wants to do the same except he's got a D series. Not knowing better, he turns to the forums to see what they can do and gets pushed toward swapping rather than building what he had. They either swap or abandon ship due to costs. The work involved with getting a D to that level may be a bit more, but totally possible. I ran into a handful of issues just swapping a B7 to a Z6 that I've never once read in ANY info I've found. I don't even wanna delve into what may be lurking behind the D2B swap that's never been covered. I've had a fun journey so far but I also realize like any other engine, it has its limitations. Individual goals, budget, and aptitude should determine whether or not the owner should keep or swap but most of the more seasoned crowd just push the swap.. Tsk Tsk.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah thats its. Ive seen too many 110 head cfm sub 2 liter engines in europe hitting 300 to the tyre.
B series is needed if you want at least 400 to the tyre imo to consider the swap.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:57 AM

That's Greece, and the U.S. Not Japan, or the Caribbean, or the U.K.

I've made "forged" D-series. Done right, they were about the same in cost. But, someone's gotta run those damn things, right? ..

You can throw shade on my opinion, that's fine. Like I said, I'd gladly give you mine if I ever had one around me again. But this isn't about me at all. Txdragon's got what he wants. He's happy, amiright? Get that cylinder head flowing and start boosting again.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's Greece, and the U.S. Not Japan, or the Caribbean, or the U.K.

I've made "forged" D-series. Done right, they were about the same in cost. But, someone's gotta run those damn things, right? ..

You can throw shade on my opinion, that's fine. Like I said, I'd gladly give you mine if I ever had one around me again. But this isn't about me at all. Txdragon's got what he wants. He's happy, amiright? Get that cylinder head flowing and start boosting again.
Gotta look at the cost of those swaps too. Being as popular as they are, B-series are going for a premium around me even. And I don't live in a "Honda scene" area. Saw a local ad not long ago for a B18 with a 5speed trans for 1800. Somebody grabbed it from the junkyard and is reselling. But, figure that cost, plus rebuild, plus swap essentials. You're pushing the 3k mark. That's a VERY good budget range for a nicely built D VTEC. I see the occasional whole integra pop up for around that price.. Usually, the car is beat to ****, or been sitting under a tree for a couple months because nobody wants it and the owner doesnt wanna part it out.
I could never guarantee though that my next build thread wouldn't be a B series..
Old 07-27-2018, 11:19 AM

Gotta look at the cost of those swaps too. Being as popular as they are, B-series are going for a premium around me even. And I don't live in a "Honda scene" area. Saw a local ad not long ago for a B18 with a 5speed trans for 1800. Somebody grabbed it from the junkyard and is reselling. But, figure that cost, plus rebuild, plus swap essentials. You're pushing the 3k mark. That's a VERY good budget range for a nicely built D VTEC. I see the occasional whole integra pop up for around that price.. Usually, the car is beat to ****, or been sitting under a tree for a couple months because nobody wants it and the owner doesnt wanna part it out.
I could never guarantee though that my next build thread wouldn't be a B series..
I guess I never had that issue. I don't swap. I get them as a complete car already with them in the chassis from the factory (for my personal ones). When I have swapped, I pieced it together instead of getting the whole thing at once. That's where the savings was. That, and a LOT of cross-referencing. thousands saved. And I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess I never had that issue. I don't swap. I get them as a complete car already with them in the chassis from the factory (for my personal ones). When I have swapped, I pieced it together instead of getting the whole thing at once. That's where the savings was. That, and a LOT of cross-referencing. thousands saved. And I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination.
Yessir. That's what my intention is; to find the right subject to operate on. I don't want to swap a B into an EG. I'll eventually find the right teggy that needs a good home!
Old 07-27-2018, 11:32 AM

Yessir. That's what my intention is; to find the right subject to operate on. I don't want to swap a B into an EG. I'll eventually find the right teggy that needs a good home!
I wish you luck. I'm now seeing more Integras with D-series swapped in them because either the B-series they used got taken or, the could only find a chassis to buy, and didn't find a decent B-series or K-series to put in it, and had to go to work, the next day. So, they made lemonade out of lemons... .

I think D-series got increasing more progressive because people were forced to due to lack of supply, and realized that they had to spend similar money to get the same result. It's no different than K-series owners laughing at B-series owners in the NA world. Sure, 300whp NA can be done, but a K-series is a lot easier to do it with strictly due to the improvements in the engine design as a platform. But I just couldn't get over the lack of torqueband and utility of the D-series. Twin cams, make a difference. Which is why I'm a much bigger fan of the L-series turbo than any D-series, and it's about the same size and displacement. .
Old 07-27-2018, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wish you luck. I'm now seeing more Integras with D-series swapped in them because either the B-series they used got taken or, the could only find a chassis to buy, and didn't find a decent B-series or K-series to put in it, and had to go to work, the next day. So, they made lemonade out of lemons... .

I think D-series got increasing more progressive because people were forced to due to lack of supply, and realized that they had to spend similar money to get the same result. It's no different than K-series owners laughing at B-series owners in the NA world. Sure, 300whp NA can be done, but a K-series is a lot easier to do it with strictly due to the improvements in the engine design as a platform. But I just couldn't get over the lack of torqueband and utility of the D-series. Twin cams, make a difference. Which is why I'm a much bigger fan of the L-series turbo than any D-series, and it's about the same size and displacement. .
Funny you say that.. Attached is a pic of a teg for sale not far from me rocking a K swap.. The body is in VERY nice shape. If I weren't already contemplating purchasing a MINT SRT4 Neon with 80k original miles, I'd look closer at this one..

Quick Reply: Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..