Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon.. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/txdragons-d16z6-project-ive-just-boarded-z6-bandwagon-3316294/)

Txdragon 03-13-2018 04:06 AM

Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..

So the B7 took an amazing dump, #4 rod through the block after an amazing 20 seconds of punishment.. I got pissed and kinda put a pillow over its head. I removed the boost cut from Neptune, gave about 3 turns on my manual boost controller and commenced to roasting tires. Made it through 4th gear and up to 13.7 psi (as read by Neptune) before it went BOOM. I had been planning out a build on the D15B but have been largely unsuccessful in finding much, if any, info I was looking for. So, to the wrecking yard I went in search of a Z6 and what did I find on the second civic I popped the hood on? This gem pictured below.. I'vhttps://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...ea379ec234.jpg

I've ordered rods and pistons, have bearings already.
Rods are skunk2 alpha lites. Can't find much info on these yet so I figure I'll toss myself into the "pool of firsts". Pistons are NPR PM6 with Hastings rings. Ordering a VTEC conversion kit from moates for the P06 (since my Neptune is already in there, I don't wanna transfer it to a p28).

more to follow!

Cupajoe 03-13-2018 06:25 AM

re: Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..

which band wagon the z6 or npr piston? npr pistons are good.

Txdragon 03-13-2018 09:40 AM

Re: I boarded the bandwagon..

Originally Posted by Cupajoe (Post 51579441)
which band wagon the z6 or npr piston? npr pistons are good.

The Z6 bandwagon. I would have doubled down with a Vitara build but it seems that nobody has the custom length rod and piston combo pack available. So went with the S2's and NPR. The S2 should be more than enough for my power goal and they'e fairly wallet friendly.

Balor_Gr 03-13-2018 10:02 AM

re: Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..

This dude has this combo available for the last 5 years :)
ebay link
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...d3f6180525.jpg

Txdragon 03-13-2018 07:32 PM

Re: Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr (Post 51579706)
This dude has this combo available for the last 5 years :)
ebay link
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...d3f6180525.jpg

balls!!! All I saw on the bay were listed for 999.00, and they all had "last one" listed. Oh well. I'm sure I'll be happy with what I got. S2 has done me right thus far.

Txdragon 03-14-2018 11:42 AM

VTEC conversion components ordered this morning. I'll put some pics of that process up when I start it. Keeping the CXRacing turbo setup. Drove it nearly a week with no smoking or leaks, so it seems to be holding well. In fact, the boost is great (up until the engine went). Looking forward to this, except tuning VTEC... **shudder** Tuning 2 maps has been tedious, now 4.. Oh well; the price you pay I guess.
I'm contemplating a catch can. Do away with the silly PCV system. I don't get smogged or have any inspections where I live so, I'm kinda open-ended on a lot of things. May re-fab my exhaust, may just run a hood exit.. **Shrug**

TheShodan 03-14-2018 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Txdragon (Post 51580885)
VTEC conversion components ordered this morning. I'll put some pics of that process up when I start it. Keeping the CXRacing turbo setup. Drove it nearly a week with no smoking or leaks, so it seems to be holding well. In fact, the boost is great (up until the engine went). Looking forward to this, except tuning VTEC... **shudder** Tuning 2 maps has been tedious, now 4.. Oh well; the price you pay I guess.
I'm contemplating a catch can. Do away with the silly PCV system. I don't get smogged or have any inspections where I live so, I'm kinda open-ended on a lot of things. May re-fab my exhaust, may just run a hood exit.. **Shrug**

Oh no, not another hood exit system. You'll pay more than you'll ask for doing that nonsense. I hope you're not a mouth breather, too. :rolleyes:. That means if I see this car, I'll drop a few coins or rocks into your exhaust exit, and give your turbine wheel a nice hair cut, so that you can ask whether or not you can "save it", and beg CXRACING for advice. Why would I do that, you ask?.. Heh..'cuz I'm just that committed. :woot:...

(I'm kidding, of course, but there are assholes that are jist THAT MALICIOUS, to ruin another honda. And it would simply be because you'd be creating an opportunity for it to happen.. All "'cuz race car". )

In all seriousness, don't. Don't do it. It's played out already. You're a street car. Behave as such.
Also. Keep your PCV . There's no reason to get rid of it for these power levels or purpose. There's no power, efficiency or weight advantage to removing it, If redirected improperly, you'll create more headaches than you'll solve.

Just keep it simple and easy like you were doing, and don't get to creative right now. Learn, build. Create. Drive.... No weird shit. Because you're just going to all a bunch of unnecessary shit later.

Txdragon 03-15-2018 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 51581174)
Oh no, not another hood exit system. You'll pay more than you'll ask for doing that nonsense. I hope you're not a mouth breather, too. :rolleyes:. That means if I see this car, I'll drop a few coins or rocks into your exhaust exit, and give your turbine wheel a nice hair cut, so that you can ask whether or not you can "save it", and beg CXRACING for advice. Why would I do that, you ask?.. Heh..'cuz I'm just that committed. :woot:...

(I'm kidding, of course, but there are assholes that are jist THAT MALICIOUS, to ruin another honda. And it would simply be because you'd be creating an opportunity for it to happen.. All "'cuz race car". )

In all seriousness, don't. Don't do it. It's played out already. You're a street car. Behave as such.
Also. Keep your PCV . There's no reason to get rid of it for these power levels or purpose. There's no power, efficiency or weight advantage to removing it, If redirected improperly, you'll create more headaches than you'll solve.

Just keep it simple and easy like you were doing, and don't get to creative right now. Learn, build. Create. Drive.... No weird shit. Because you're just going to all a bunch of unnecessary shit later.

Lol! The exact reasons why I wouldn't go that route. I have been tempted to do the same, but the adult in me said no. The only reason behind removing the PCV was simply for not having to mess with it specifically, if that makes any sense. I know it isn't going to be anywhere near the power levels that would cause constant troubles; Think I was more into not wanting to fuck with it; i.e. lazy thinking. You're completely right though, no need to do it so don't ;) For CX and their helpfulness, they were doing well until I sent them a picture of the downpipe that was mounted and scraping the ground with the flange when the car was lowered from the jack stands. Fortunately I was able to cut and weld it for refittment.. Not impressed with that part lol. I could only imagine them IP banning my emails if I sent them a message in regards to something more serious. Despite the few issues I ran into, I still believe I ended up being surprised on the good side by what I received. Although, if I didn't have the means or ability to fix the issues that did come up, i'd have been dead in the water the moment I tried mounting the manifold. Goes to show that you really need a fairly extensive set of tools and equipment when you take the route of the "lower shelf" kits. Not something I imagine most would have that purchase these units.. Anywho..

It leaves the possibility for me to upgrade components as time progresses. The rods I have ordered are supposed to be good up to 450hp (as noted by Skunk2) And I am sure with my setup I am nowhere in the "I think i'm close to that" range, but I don't think I will want to push it. I would guess I was maybe near half of that and the car was PLENTY fun before I killed it. Think I found the right spot, just gotta make sure I can handle it now!

Txdragon 03-16-2018 08:49 PM

Pistons arrived today! NPR is touted to be pretty good, but these feel reeeaaallly lightweight. The skirts seem kinda thin. I'd have expected them to be a bit thicker. This normal? I would feel rather nervous to push 300hp on these things. The P2C pistons that came out of the D15B seem beefier, honestly.

Balor_Gr 03-17-2018 03:22 AM

Post some pics of the pistons and part number im sure we will find some results.

Txdragon 03-17-2018 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr (Post 51583419)
Post some pics of the pistons and part number im sure we will find some results.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...cedaea5ab8.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...5d17712c29.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...9f961d1e2a.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...12aefc484a.jpg
Here they are. They shipped from Puerto Rico. The box says without rings, but the seller included a set of Hastings rings. Those look nice, for sure. Very Sturdy. The piston wrist pins also look pretty stout, measured with my digital caliper at 3mm. Price was pretty fair, 124.79 I believe.

Txdragon 03-17-2018 08:56 PM

In reference to the NPR pistons. I've searched and everything leads to legit. Anyone else use them? If so, any troubles? Advice or pointers on power levels? I'd like to see closer to the 300 mark given all the extra shit I'm throwing at it here. But I won't push it if I am limited by these.

VTEC conversion kit came in. Thank you, Moates! I'm looking forward to some fun on that. Well.. Maybe not. I hate soldering :(

Txdragon 03-18-2018 08:13 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...cbc0b49441.jpgVTEC added. Not as hard as I expected.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...945486bdde.jpgVTEC solenoid and pressure switch plugs. P06 now converted to VTEC! Another shout to Moates for the kit to pull it off. 27-ish bucks after shipping. Received in 3 days. Most confusing part were the RM11 resistors. I read somewhere you skip the very first slot and count from there. Nope. I double checked before I soldered and found a perfect instruction sample at HAmotorsports.com. Thankfully, that was still working. The guide on PGMFI.org was not working. Stupid 404 error.. Saved me an extra hour worth of work.. sheesh.. anywho..

Got a 95, so my shock tower is not pre-wired for VTEC. I'll have to hardwire directly to the ECU. The second pic details the connecting wires to A4 and D6. Secured with a dab of hot glue for a little more support. They are nice and snug with the cover installed. May not be the prettiest, but they ain't going anywhere. Lol!

JRCivic1 03-18-2018 11:05 PM

Why didn't you just use a couple OE ECU pins with a bit of wire extending from the terminals instead of soldering in a couple of wires ???

Txdragon 03-19-2018 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by JRCivic1 (Post 51584371)
Why didn't you just use a couple OE ECU pins with a bit of wire extending from the terminals instead of soldering in a couple of wires ???

care to elaborate? Your question sounds exactly like what I did. Lol. I soldered them to the terminals from the bottom of the board. I have a gun-type soldering iron and can't fit between the pins directly, so I did the next best thing.
The ecu harness won't connect if I extended them from between the pins, and no sense in doing it that way anyways because the harness is not pre-wired.
Unless you mean something else?

JRCivic1 03-19-2018 10:00 PM

There is a factory pin/de-pin tool which will safely remove pin terminals/wires from the ECU plugs. I typically chop the ECU plugs out of salvage cars about 12-18" above the plugs leaving a bit of wire at each pin. Then, using the tool, I remove appropriate pins that fit in the A4 and D6 locations (large pin for A4, small pin for D6), and then insert/lock them into the ECU plugs of the intended car. I can then add wiring from there out to the plugs at the shock tower so that ultimately, I can connect these wires to the matching locations of the plugs on the VTEC engine harness. Then, everything looks factory except for the fact that I ran the two wires out through the grommet near the charcoal cannister instead of the original bundle which passes under the battery tray.

This way, I do not have to modify the ECU, and can use other ECU's for testing if necessary because the wiring modifications stay in the car.

Does this make sense ???

Txdragon 03-20-2018 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by JRCivic1 (Post 51585297)
There is a factory pin/de-pin tool which will safely remove pin terminals/wires from the ECU plugs. I typically chop the ECU plugs out of salvage cars about 12-18" above the plugs leaving a bit of wire at each pin. Then, using the tool, I remove appropriate pins that fit in the A4 and D6 locations (large pin for A4, small pin for D6), and then insert/lock them into the ECU plugs of the intended car. I can then add wiring from there out to the plugs at the shock tower so that ultimately, I can connect these wires to the matching locations of the plugs on the VTEC engine harness. Then, everything looks factory except for the fact that I ran the two wires out through the grommet near the charcoal cannister instead of the original bundle which passes under the battery tray.

This way, I do not have to modify the ECU, and can use other ECU's for testing if necessary because the wiring modifications stay in the car.

Does this make sense ???

ooohhh. I see now. Yeah, sounds a bit better. I kinda reached over my shoulder to scratch my ass, huh? Lol. I'e gotta go back today to the place the junk yard is at so I will check and see of the car is still available and mostly untouched. I seem to be the first one to get under the hood since I got a complete engine. I suppose if not, I can still make my own at the tower plug. I just bought a 900 piece electronics kit that has tons of useful little bits and pieces. We'll see which route I need to take. Lol!

k20z1ej1 03-20-2018 01:01 PM

Re: I boarded the bandwagon..

Originally Posted by Txdragon (Post 51579684)
it seems that nobody has the custom length rod and piston combo pack available.

https://www.speedfactoryracing.net/e...a-piston-combo

Txdragon 03-20-2018 02:00 PM

So.... The crank pulley bolt on the Z6 was evidently tightened by king kong.. I can't break it free for nothing. Sigh..

k20z1ej1 03-20-2018 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Txdragon (Post 51586055)
So.... The crank pulley bolt on the Z6 was evidently tightened by king kong.. I can't break it free for nothing. Sigh..

https://www.ebay.com/i/322496113988?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Txdragon 03-20-2018 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by k20z1ej1 (Post 51586063)

17mm 1/2" drive impact socket and 6' breaker bar have so far been unsuccessful in breaking this thing free.

k20z1ej1 03-20-2018 02:11 PM

hmmmm.... torch?

Txdragon 03-20-2018 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by k20z1ej1 (Post 51586065)
hmmmm.... torch?

no torch available. I'd think that would work better for a nut rather than a bolt. Thermal expansion through the threads=more headache. I'm no engineer though. Lol

k20z1ej1 03-20-2018 02:15 PM

its worked for me before but the rubber on the damper melted and we couldnt reuse it :(

k20z1ej1 03-20-2018 02:16 PM

i would go to harbor freight and buy either

1) a torch

or

2) their most beast mode 1/2 or 3/4 impact gun

edit:

torch is cheaper but itll probably destroy the pulley so itll cost more than just the torch
impact is more expensive but it wont destroy the pulley.