Notices

Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 02:46 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 220 Likes on 197 Posts
Default Re: Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..

DON'T
DO
IT...

lol
Old 06-26-2019, 02:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by NVturbo
DON'T
DO
IT...

lol
I know. I'd probably hate myself for the rest of my life if I did. Lol! I'm laid up right now and not supposed to do anything except get to the bathroom, for the next 2 weeks minimum.

Between downtime and pain meds, my brain is going in 90000000 directions. Lol!

I'm scheduled to dyno in August. I don't want to do anything with my car (trade, sell, loan, etc.) until after that.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just don't do anything with the car at all LOL. Waste some money on parts to cope for now haha.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by maxwellmercer
Just don't do anything with the car at all LOL. Waste some money on parts to cope for now haha.
Haha! I've entertained the idea of sale/trade just to see what offers come across. I've gotten a few awesome offers on trades, cash offers want to wait til after dyno. Understandable. Unless it's a trade I don't need to do anything to or a cash offer worth at LEAST what I've put into it, I'm not getting rid of her.

As for putting more into it, I'm almost at an end to what I can upgrade. About the only thing left I haven't messed with is a rear drum to rotor brake conversion.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

E85 is pretty popular but, anyone running E98? Any reason I shouldn't? The tuner I have been speaking with that will be with me on the dyno in Aug says he wouldn't, but that was his personal preference. It raises a bit of a red flag if the tuner wouldn't use it but, it wasn't anything more than just personal preference. So.. Anyone have any experience there? The main reason I ask is that I will have to order E85 because there are no stations near me and they sell E98 as well and that happens to be much cheaper per 54 gal drum. I also figure that with potential inconsistencies with E85, E98 would be better anyways as if there would be an inconsistent batch, it's likely to be closer to the E85. lol! Let me know, folks!!
Old 06-27-2019, 02:35 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 220 Likes on 197 Posts

I would stick with E85. I know stations like Sheetz do carry both but most others only have E85.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

I think your main issue with E98 will be how harsh ethanol is on fuel components. I'm not sure how much of a difference there is between the 'lubrication properties' with ~15% of ethanol compared to 2% but that's worth considering. If you have ptfe an lines then that's a little less of a concern, but you still want to keep in mind if the pump, regulator, filter, injectors, and any rubber lines or o-rings in the system are ethanol-friendly.

If everything is ethanol-friendly, I'd probably send it with E98 if I was in your boat with no E85 stations close to me and E98 being a good bit cheaper by the drum.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:29 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Tune for both, use a flex fuel sensor and call it a day
Old 06-27-2019, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
I would stick with E85. I know stations like Sheetz do carry both but most others only have E85.
That's my main issue, I dont have a station remotely close to me that sells E85. Closest one is just over 2.5 hours drive time in North Little Rock.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ohisofly
I think your main issue with E98 will be how harsh ethanol is on fuel components. I'm not sure how much of a difference there is between the 'lubrication properties' with ~15% of ethanol compared to 2% but that's worth considering. If you have ptfe an lines then that's a little less of a concern, but you still want to keep in mind if the pump, regulator, filter, injectors, and any rubber lines or o-rings in the system are ethanol-friendly.

If everything is ethanol-friendly, I'd probably send it with E98 if I was in your boat with no E85 stations close to me and E98 being a good bit cheaper by the drum.
I saw E98 and looked at 2 concerns.. that harshness of Ethanol, and the consistency of the blend.. If there's a difference in ethanol consistency in E85 that causes concern that it may be closer to E70 or something like that, I'd figure E98 could be closer to E85 on MOST cases. All my fuel components said they were E85 compatible; the AEM rail, Aeromotive regulator, Aus Injectors (I think these are even compatible with methanol), Walbro Hellcat, Russell fuel filter (unsure but it is a stainless mesh filter), and the fuel lines that came with the filter and fittings had E85 on the packaging.
I haven't looked to see how much stock rubber hose is actually left from the tank to the hardline but, that's bound to be my weakest link here.

Originally Posted by 2x0
Tune for both, use a flex fuel sensor and call it a day
I've priced the sensor and pigtail and they are surprisingly inexpensive! I'm looking into this and BBG components before tuning. Just need to run 475 dollars worth of fuel by the missus. Lol! I'll probably only order 20 gallons to tune with for now though.

My largest concern here is exceeding my intended stop point on power for the stock sleeves. The machinist said he saw no problem holding 425whp. 450 and over he said would be pushing the envelope.
That being said, this is a big spend to potentially start breaking ****.. I can still see 400 pretty easily on pump 93; my potential tuner says he believes I am already there. He's been absolutely awesome and looking over my street tune as I go along and helping me here and there at no extra charge. I'm more than excited to see what this gentleman will be able to do for me on the dyno. Anyhow.. BBG is definitely in the cards, corn fed is still up in the air..
Old 06-27-2019, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Have you considered a methanol injection setup with pump gas?
Old 06-27-2019, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Txdragon
I saw E98 and looked at 2 concerns.. that harshness of Ethanol, and the consistency of the blend.. If there's a difference in ethanol consistency in E85 that causes concern that it may be closer to E70 or something like that, I'd figure E98 could be closer to E85 on MOST cases. All my fuel components said they were E85 compatible; the AEM rail, Aeromotive regulator, Aus Injectors (I think these are even compatible with methanol), Walbro Hellcat, Russell fuel filter (unsure but it is a stainless mesh filter), and the fuel lines that came with the filter and fittings had E85 on the packaging.
I haven't looked to see how much stock rubber hose is actually left from the tank to the hardline but, that's bound to be my weakest link here.
Agreed. There are plenty of people who run E85 through stock hard/rubber lines and normal an lines, just depends on what you're comfortable with. If you check the fuel pressure often and check/change out the fuel filter regularly I imagine you'd be fine with E98. What micron is the filter?
Old 06-27-2019, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scottcraft
Have you considered a methanol injection setup with pump gas?
Actually, I haven't. May look into that rather than the all out fuel conversion. Isn't that a fairly pricey endeavor as well?

Originally Posted by ohisofly
Agreed. There are plenty of people who run E85 through stock hard/rubber lines and normal an lines, just depends on what you're comfortable with. If you check the fuel pressure often and check/change out the fuel filter regularly I imagine you'd be fine with E98. What micron is the filter?
40 micron filter
Old 06-27-2019, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Actually, I haven't. May look into that rather than the all out fuel conversion. Isn't that a fairly pricey endeavor as well?

40 micron filter
I honestly don't know how much to buy and install the kit. E85 isn't popular in my area so when I get a turbo set up I'm going to look into it.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

I run E98, if you are looking for a good fuel that is consistent go with buying drums of E98 and call it a day. The problem with E85 at stations is the inconsistency of blends, stations very with consistency and since you don't have any stations close to you anyway I would just order drums of E98.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:58 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

I'm hoping that running true flex fuel will help smooth out any inconsistencies with fuel. I'm lucky and have E85 at several stations in my area. I'm planning to dyno tune on 2 fuels - pump 93 gas (E10) and pump E85. I've got flex fuel running and after tuning, Hondata should be able to interpolate between a low boost map (which will be set up on the 93/E10) and a high boost map (which will be set up on E85) based on ethanol content of the fuel. You can set up the "slope" of this interpolation to be as aggressive as you'd like. The stock settings in Hondata are for up to E85, but you can easily change that to E98 if you wanted. This would allow you to run your barrels of E98 or add some 93 pump gas in the tank if you are ever caught out somewhere without more ethanol.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
I run E98, if you are looking for a good fuel that is consistent go with buying drums of E98 and call it a day. The problem with E85 at stations is the inconsistency of blends, stations very with consistency and since you don't have any stations close to you anyway I would just order drums of E98.
Do you order your 98 from Sunoco or VP (or any other fuel place like that)? And do you test the mixture for consistency? And if you do, is it pretty much always in that range between 85 and 98?

Originally Posted by DaX
I'm hoping that running true flex fuel will help smooth out any inconsistencies with fuel. I'm lucky and have E85 at several stations in my area. I'm planning to dyno tune on 2 fuels - pump 93 gas (E10) and pump E85. I've got flex fuel running and after tuning, Hondata should be able to interpolate between a low boost map (which will be set up on the 93/E10) and a high boost map (which will be set up on E85) based on ethanol content of the fuel. You can set up the "slope" of this interpolation to be as aggressive as you'd like. The stock settings in Hondata are for up to E85, but you can easily change that to E98 if you wanted. This would allow you to run your barrels of E98 or add some 93 pump gas in the tank if you are ever caught out somewhere without more ethanol.
I had looked into it before and yes, Neptune supports flex fuel. There are actually many folks that say it is a bit better on Neptune than Hondata; for those that use or have used both programs. How it is better, I'm not sure. Haven't gotten that far into it. Maybe easier, maybe more accurate, **shrug**
At any rate, I like the idea of being able to go with either.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

Do you order your 98 from Sunoco or VP (or any other fuel place like that)? And do you test the mixture for consistency? And if you do, is it pretty much always in that range between 85 and 98?

I had looked into it before and yes, Neptune supports flex fuel. There are actually many folks that say it is a bit better on Neptune than Hondata; for those that use or have used both programs. How it is better, I'm not sure. Haven't gotten that far into it. Maybe easier, maybe more accurate, **shrug**
At any rate, I like the idea of being able to go with either.
My buddy orders drums and I just buy what I need from him, I will ask where he gets his drums and let you know. He has tested the fuel and it is straight E98 no variances.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:30 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Just need to run 475 dollars worth of fuel by the missus. Lol!

Lol, this is what stopped me from buying drums when I started to worry about the inconsistencies at the pump. All the more reason to tune it for flex fuel now, then hopefully later on you will get E85 available nearby and will already be set up for it. It's still under $2/gallon here.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:49 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x0

Lol, this is what stopped me from buying drums when I started to worry about the inconsistencies at the pump. All the more reason to tune it for flex fuel now, then hopefully later on you will get E85 available nearby and will already be set up for it. It's still under $2/gallon here.
yeah $475 in fuel is insane. this is why I like methanol. I can just make it for my needs
Old 06-27-2019, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
yeah $475 in fuel is insane. this is why I like methanol. I can just make it for my needs
55 gallons would last me a while at the rate I drive this car, at least 2 months easy! I top off at 11 gallons and average around 29-30 miles a day when I'm driving regularly. But there is also times it will sit for a couple days. Bottom line, a full tank lasts me from 1 to 2 and a half weeks. I've also found the nearest location and confirmed they have E85; 1.94 a gallon. I can drive the truck out with my own barrel and fill it up for less than that 475. Yay!

Now fill us in on making this methanol, good sir! Would that also make good for the meth/water injection to use with pump 93?
Old 06-27-2019, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

I might buy into some of that good fuel sometime, I’ve put just over 400 miles on this motor since the rebuild ( took three months) and other than track time it won’t see the street much anymore, so It would not be wasted. But almost 500 bucks is a hard pill to swallow, but it would last a long time.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:00 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Now fill us in on making this methanol, good sir! Would that also make good for the meth/water injection to use with pump 93?
that's all I'd make it for.

I'll get into that formula later. I'm making sure my thoughts aren't on deaf ears with the PCV Catch can thread, first.

I don't give away the good stuff just to do so.. there has to be a good audience that will want to give a ****, first. I've learned that as this forum has changed over the years. So that people aren't wasting their time, writing OR reading.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:49 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

55 gallons would last me a while at the rate I drive this car, at least 2 months easy!
Ah, there's the difference between us. I'm burning through roughly 15 gallons a week when it's nice out, so I can't afford the $9 per gallon for the good stuff!
Old 06-28-2019, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
Ah, there's the difference between us. I'm burning through roughly 15 gallons a week when it's nice out, so I can't afford the $9 per gallon for the good stuff!
I dont want to pay that much though. I thought it would be my ONLY option. I found a closer (not by much) source for E85. Current price is 1.94/gal. So I could load a barrel in my truck and fill that once a month no prob. But.. It's pump E85 so then I'd have to worry about those inconsistencies. I may just look into water/meth spray to add with my pump 93. That should help out. I've just heard lots of AEM kits failing though, most recently that i know offhand was in Calidad's build. **shudder**

Quick Reply: Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..