Notices

Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 06:13 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Re: Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..

Should be fine without the extra torque mounts, as long as you have 3 good urethane mounts.

My K&N filter was universal fit from 2.5" to 4", think was about $25. Can't go wrong with K&N.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x0
Should be fine without the extra torque mounts, as long as you have 3 good urethane mounts.

My K&N filter was universal fit from 2.5" to 4", think was about $25. Can't go wrong with K&N.
The 3 mounts are DNA Motoring 75A poly mounts. Even the body of them is stout. Lol! My filter is a spectre. Same fitment if I take all the little rings out, it'll fit the housing on the Garrett. Has served me well for a couple years now. I clean it every couple months regardless of miles. Rain over this weekend prevents any more progress til Monday and at that point, I'm gonna be pushing my car under the carport until it's completed.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so.. I just went full potato on a matter regarding my manual boost controller.. I had it set to run 17psi on my last setup and given this is a new turbo with different flow rate and so on, do I need to set it to "factory" and start again, or should it be ok where it is? Not asking where I should run the new turbo, I'm asking if the controller is going to behave the same regardless of the turbo used; or if it would behave differently since the new turbo will flow differently?

I think I initially answered myself when I figured I'd just turn it all the way down and start fresh but, if I really don't **need** to do that, that would save me an hour of bullshit configurations if not necessary.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:50 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Txdragon
Ok so.. I just went full potato on a matter regarding my manual boost controller.. I had it set to run 17psi on my last setup and given this is a new turbo with different flow rate and so on, do I need to set it to "factory" and start again, or should it be ok where it is? Not asking where I should run the new turbo, I'm asking if the controller is going to behave the same regardless of the turbo used; or if it would behave differently since the new turbo will flow differently?

I think I initially answered myself when I figured I'd just turn it all the way down and start fresh but, if I really don't **need** to do that, that would save me an hour of bullshit configurations if not necessary.
I would think you'll be fine because boost (pressure) does not equal flow, but I'm just a hack.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
I would think you'll be fine because boost (pressure) does not equal flow, but I'm just a hack.
I tried Google but it turned up snake eyes. Lol. Lots of install instructions but nothing in relation to reusing.

The safe thing to do would be just reset it I'd hate to go in thinking it will start at 17psi and log a pull at 30psi. Lol!
Old 04-14-2019, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

That's what boost cut is for. I would back the controller out till you can blow through it and tighten it in a turn or so till you can't blow through it. Your gonna have to retune all the fuel and ignition tables for the new turbo in boost anyways so you might as well start off wg pressure and work your way back up.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone have any issues with JE Proseal head gasket fitting over the head dowel pins? Looks like it wants to but will require some.... Encouragement.. Did I get a dud or do I need to ream the gasket.. Wtf is going on here?!?!
Old 04-14-2019, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

Anyone have any issues with JE Proseal head gasket fitting over the head dowel pins? Looks like it wants to but will require some.... Encouragement.. Did I get a dud or do I need to ream the gasket.. Wtf is going on here?!?!
mine was very tight but fit fine, I’ve seen a video where someone had to take a unibit and drill out the holes one size, I thought it was a SOHC
Old 04-14-2019, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turboLScrx
mine was very tight but fit fine, I’ve seen a video where someone had to take a unibit and drill out the holes one size, I thought it was a SOHC
I wouldn't think that opening the hole just a bit there would do anything to affect cylinder seal but, just curious as to any other issues. Only thing I found on a search had nothing to do with JE gasket OR single slam. Something about LS or GS dowels in the other.. **shrug**

So if I have to ream them, it should be ok? I'd feel safer doing that than trying to torque the head down to pull it all together...
Old 04-14-2019, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't think that opening the hole just a bit there would do anything to affect cylinder seal but, just curious as to any other issues. Only thing I found on a search had nothing to do with JE gasket OR single slam. Something about LS or GS dowels in the other.. **shrug**

So if I have to ream them, it should be ok? I'd feel safer doing that than trying to torque the head down to pull it all together...
id call JE tomorrow
Old 04-14-2019, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id call JE tomorrow
Another thing on my to-do list for tomorrow. So far I've just LOST my intake and exhaust gaskets.. They are not in the box I had all my parts in.. Lost my spark plugs.. I'm guessing they've eloped with the gaskets.. Lost my 12 point 12mm socket.. Just disappeared from my toolbox entirely and my ARPs are the ONLY thing I need a 12 pt 12mm for..
All I was able to accomplish today was the passenger side torque mount.. Sigh..
Old 04-14-2019, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Another thing on my to-do list for tomorrow. So far I've just LOST my intake and exhaust gaskets.. They are not in the box I had all my parts in.. Lost my spark plugs.. I'm guessing they've eloped with the gaskets.. Lost my 12 point 12mm socket.. Just disappeared from my toolbox entirely and my ARPs are the ONLY thing I need a 12 pt 12mm for..
All I was able to accomplish today was the passenger side torque mount.. Sigh..
i think you woke up in reverse this morning. Lol
Old 04-14-2019, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think you woke up in reverse this morning. Lol
Been one of those days. Rain til about 11, then the sky went crystal clear. Then.. It seems to have gone downhill from there. Discovered we lost 3 of our 10 new chickens.. They're still young so, moderately expected. The kids seem to have had a big bowl of act-an-*** for breakfast as they were trying to kill each other all day.. If this is a precursor to Monday, I don't wanna deal with it. Lol
Old 04-14-2019, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Been one of those days. Rain til about 11, then the sky went crystal clear. Then.. It seems to have gone downhill from there. Discovered we lost 3 of our 10 new chickens.. They're still young so, moderately expected. The kids seem to have had a big bowl of act-an-*** for breakfast as they were trying to kill each other all day.. If this is a precursor to Monday, I don't wanna deal with it. Lol
i just returned from a beautiful tropical island and already know the **** box of a day I’m going to have tomorrow.......I just want to get back on that plane. Lol
Old 04-15-2019, 03:16 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

i just returned from a beautiful tropical island and already know the **** box of a day I’m going to have tomorrow.......I just want to get back on that plane. Lol
Remember when we were kids and vacations were fun? Now I just stress about how much work is piling up while I'm not there, lol.

Hope your day pans out better than the last one, Roy.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice! Where'd you go? I can't take vacations like this. Not so much a cost issue, I'd just NEVER come back. Lol!!

Originally Posted by DaX
Remember when we were kids and vacations were fun? Now I just stress about how much work is piling up while I'm not there, lol.

Hope your day pans out better than the last one, Roy.
Today has to be better.. I woke up this morning, so THAT'S a plus!!
Old 04-15-2019, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice! Where'd you go? I can't take vacations like this. Not so much a cost issue, I'd just NEVER come back. Lol!!

Today has to be better.. I woke up this morning, so THAT'S a plus!!
Sint Maarten, this was the view from our room...... I’d rather still be there. Lol. It overlooked a cliff over the ocean. I was doing a long shutter speed and caught a airplane coming in.... looks odd

Old 04-15-2019, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So got the turbo and hot parts put together. About halfway done with the exhaust now but gotta call it for the day. Knee is killing me with all the ground work. Got my existing exhaust cut down to almost perfectly meet with my coupler on the downpipe. All to do is mark and weld. Then the shift linkage and axles, then alternator, intake, hoses and harness. IC pipes, fluids, then she should be ready for startup!
The headgasket/dowel pin issue was easy enough to overcome. I just removed the head studs on those then took a 14mm socket and hammer.. **In Happy Gilmore voice** Just taaaahhhp it in.. Problem solved. Got the gasket to sit and the head torqued down. JE was ZERO help.. I never got a call back as promised..
Old 04-15-2019, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks good man! Just keep widdeling away at it and it's gonna come out nice. I just dyno'd my awd crx today with pics in my thread.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
Looks good man! Just keep widdeling away at it and it's gonna come out nice. I just dyno'd my awd crx today with pics in my thread.
Ohhhhhh!!
Old 04-15-2019, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So got the turbo and hot parts put together. About halfway done with the exhaust now but gotta call it for the day. Knee is killing me with all the ground work. Got my existing exhaust cut down to almost perfectly meet with my coupler on the downpipe. All to do is mark and weld. Then the shift linkage and axles, then alternator, intake, hoses and harness. IC pipes, fluids, then she should be ready for startup!
The headgasket/dowel pin issue was easy enough to overcome. I just removed the head studs on those then took a 14mm socket and hammer.. **In Happy Gilmore voice** Just taaaahhhp it in.. Problem solved. Got the gasket to sit and the head torqued down. JE was ZERO help.. I never got a call back as promised..
looking really nice! I would love to get my hands on a GOAUTOWORKS top mount for mine $$$$$$$$$$
Old 04-15-2019, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looking really nice! I would love to get my hands on a GOAUTOWORKS top mount for mine $$$$$$$$$$
Thanks! Not gonna lie, it's got a bit of a pricetag on it but, nothing that financial discipline couldn't overcome. The quality is what I expected, this was another pleasant surprise. The mini ram is small and stout! This little dude has some heft. Not like, cumbersome heavy but you know it's built. I'm most happy that it's all made together. This is my first real setup that I dont have to fabricate a ton of **** to make it work.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:48 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

That manifold looks sick!!! Can't wait til you get this thing started up.

Gonna heat wrap it?
Old 04-16-2019, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
That manifold looks sick!!! Can't wait til you get this thing started up.

Gonna heat wrap it?
Thanks! I'm contemplating wrap. If I have any troubles maintaining reasonable ECT, certainly.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would just wrap the dp and get a turbo blanket for the turbski. That manifold is too pretty to hide.

Quick Reply: Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..