Notices

Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Re: Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..

On a brighter note, these came in!!!
Old 03-20-2018, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Machine shop says 20 bucks to install the pistons onto the rods. Sold! Also gonna take the block to him to see if he can remove that damn crank pulley bolt. He's BOUND to have something strong enough to get 'er done. I am afraid I may have destroyed my lower timing cover trying to remove the head. I just loosened all the bolts and pryed it back enough to reach the t-belt tensioner. Got it done and got the head off. Another day with very little accomplished.. Sigh..
Old 03-20-2018, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Interesting tidbit... Looks like I'll be one of, if not the first to use this rod and piston combo
Old 03-21-2018, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Machine shop had ZERO difficulty removing crank bolt. Oh yeah. He's got a 6-pack of beer on the way for that!
Old 03-21-2018, 07:02 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Txdragon
Machine shop had ZERO difficulty removing crank bolt. Oh yeah. He's got a 6-pack of beer on the way for that!
Sounds like it is coming along
Old 03-21-2018, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Sounds like it is coming along
yes sir! Got that stupid bolt removed and the pistons on the rods. Next parts SHOULD be smooth sailing. I ordered clevite rod bearings, standard size. Hopefully these will be fine. I imagine the clearance I'm shooting for is .0012-.0015? Or too many zeroes? .012-.015?
Old 03-21-2018, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ooohhh yeeaahh!!
Old 03-22-2018, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update #906241 Finally got the crank girdle off this morning and a piston out to check clearance on the Skunk rods and I will have to remove the crankshaft entirely and install them from the bottom. The rod's crank end WILL NOT clear the cylinder wall to insert from the top.. Sigh.. Is this the norm for rods like this?
Old 03-22-2018, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so, I found out I can not install a piston from the crank end today. I enjoy learning on the go! I also found that the rods I have are a bit too large to fit through the cylinder.

I may be able to grind down a little bit to give me clearance. If you see the shot where light is passing through, it will not take much to make these work. My question is how detrimental, if at all, to the structural integrity of the rod end would this Be? HELP please! This project is starting to become a nightmare.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:39 AM

Ok so, I found out I can not install a piston from the crank end today. I enjoy learning on the go! I also found that the rods I have are a bit too large to fit through the cylinder.

I may be able to grind down a little bit to give me clearance. If you see the shot where light is passing through, it will not take much to make these work. My question is how detrimental, if at all, to the structural integrity of the rod end would this Be? HELP please! This project is starting to become a nightmare.
Not gonna lie to you Txdragon.. I'd have a machine shop shave those rods down so that the rods are still balanced on the piston. You couldn't pay me enough to do that myself. That's a risk I wouldn't take as a "learning lesson".
Old 03-22-2018, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not gonna lie to you Txdragon.. I'd have a machine shop shave those rods down so that the rods are still balanced on the piston. You couldn't pay me enough to do that myself. That's a risk I wouldn't take as a "learning lesson".
oh yeah, a machine shop for sure. I was only outlining a possible solution to my problem. It doesn't appear that any material removed would be enough to throw off the balance. From the looks of what needs to be shaved, it wouldn't be anywhere near 1 gram per rod.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, while I'm waiting on some responses from Skunk2 and the seller I bought the rods from, I decided to continue prep work. Labled hoses and harness connections cuz my memory is getting bad. Lol!
Old 03-22-2018, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So Skunk2 is sending replacements! They said I may have been just REALLY unlucky and got a bad set, this falls deeply into the "no ****" category.. I was assured the replacements would fit with no problem.. I am not sure how that guarantee can be made but, eh.. Ultimate point is that there seems to be some resolution on the horizon. More waiting though..
Old 03-22-2018, 10:25 AM

So Skunk2 is sending replacements! They said I may have been just REALLY unlucky and got a bad set, this falls deeply into the "no ****" category.. I was assured the replacements would fit with no problem.. I am not sure how that guarantee can be made but, eh.. Ultimate point is that there seems to be some resolution on the horizon. More waiting though..
You having a part number and photos of the issue is what helped you., They would have been idiots not to resolve that one with a replacement set. Good job documenting and cataloging.

As for labels. I use a label maker for all of my hoses even now. It's not temporary. My memory is horrible, so its necessary. I say get a real label maker and start tagging, but only when you're finally wrapping the engine bay up. You'll thank yourself later when /if you have any troubleshooting issues.

Last edited by TheShodan; 03-22-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Now trimming this ridiculous front bumper to fit with the FMIC. Getting a good deal done today since my Eclipse is due to be finished getting the clutch installed and I had no other way to work. The boss is shitting bricks and I'm happily making progress on the swap. #shorttermgoals
Old 03-22-2018, 02:42 PM

Now trimming this ridiculous front bumper to fit with the FMIC. Getting a good deal done today since my Eclipse is due to be finished getting the clutch installed and I had no other way to work. The boss is shitting bricks and I'm happily making progress on the swap. #shorttermgoals
Aww, you're killin' me with that bumper, my brother.....

All I thought about was when I was at a car show back in 2001 seeing this!! Right from the GodDamned movie...

Say it isn't so!!!.. All this blood,sweat, and tears you're going through, and you can't just find another OEM bumper (or something similar) and switch that out? It's fibreglass, and "trimming" for an intercooler in this case is bad enough as it is... Aww... the humanity.. Aww, TxDragon, my brotha'... My brotha'!!

(And don't tell me that this is "all you got"... I just can't believe that in 2018... 2018, man! )
Old 03-22-2018, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol! Yeah, it's what I got. I'm replacing it later down the road anyways because the fitment is ****. I'd like a nice OE bumper with a spoon lip. **shrug**
Old 03-22-2018, 04:47 PM

Lol! Yeah, it's what I got. I'm replacing it later down the road anyways because the fitment is ****. I'd like a nice OE bumper with a spoon lip. **shrug**
Just find an old replacement for now. To hell with the lip. Don't trim anything. You could destroy that intercooler without changing that front end. You're used to going to the bone yard for stuff. Just use anything other than what that stuff is. Don't wait.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So skunk2 decided to bitch out on the swap and said they'd take them back but I'd have to get a refund from the seller. They recanted the exchange offer. Bastards. So I contacted the seller and made a compromise; I asked for the cash to cover machine work and I'd keep the rods. I haven' gotten a response on that as of now but I've already had the rods machined. They fit beautifully through the block now!
so I've been marking and notching the girdle. That' all that needs notched. They clear the cylinders by a good bit.
won't be able to get any more real progress til Sunday afternoon and Monday. I'm shooting to be completed by Easter weekend. Here's hoping!
Old 03-23-2018, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You having a part number and photos of the issue is what helped you., They would have been idiots not to resolve that one with a replacement set. Good job documenting and cataloging.

As for labels. I use a label maker for all of my hoses even now. It's not temporary. My memory is horrible, so its necessary. I say get a real label maker and start tagging, but only when you're finally wrapping the engine bay up. You'll thank yourself later when /if you have any troubleshooting issues.

It's pretty cool how much we actually think alike. I had already ordered this from Amazon for that exact reason. It hadn't made it in until yesterday evening though. Lol!!
Old 03-23-2018, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pistons and rods installed and finally finished notching the girdle. Sprayed down the engine and took a blower to it. Now to let it dry out while I'm at work today. Tomorrow, I'll pull everything apart again, check my bearing clearances then hone the cylinders, ring pistons and install for keeps.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well.. I may have stepped on my dick big time. I noticed that there appear to be a couple pin holes into the passage on one of the spots I notched. Tiny, tiny. Like less than 1mm. Probably .5 or smaller. Will this be a problem or do I need to swap this girdle? Let' not kill a rat with a shotgun and replace it for JUST for safe measure. If it won't be a major concern, I won't be concerned. This isn't gonna see track time or anything, just a simple grocery getter with *****.. If it is detrimentally crucial that it be replaced, I'll see it gets done.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here they are. The bolt here is one of the cradle bolts. The holes are pretty small. I wouldn't think it would cause concern, but not 100% sure. **shrug**
Old 03-24-2018, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Success with clevite, got .0015 on every rod. Honed the cylinders a d gave the block a final rinse and blow dry. Gonna ring the pistons and start putting humpty dumpty back together! That is the next step anyways, not sure how much more I can get done today since I need to leave for work in an hour. Sigh..
Old 03-25-2018, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok.. This part sucks. Although this ring compressor did its job, it is a mean, hateful bastard. Those edges are razor ******* sharp and I now have cuts between several fingers. The manufacturer was kind enough to put a nifty little caution to wear eye protection. I'm writing a suggestive email that requests adding gloves to that tag.. It now rests in the creek behind my house...

Quick Reply: Txdragon's D16Z6 project: I've just boarded the Z6 bandwagon..