Notices

Turbo ZC CRX ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo ZC CRX ?'s

I have decieded that my next project will be a Turbo ZC CRX or Civic Si. I have done a ton of research looking at options for this combo. I still have a few unanswered questions for anybody who wants to reply. Thanks in advance.

1- I plan on using an Si chassis for the swap because of the MPFI and other obvious reasons. Should I keep the Si tranny or go with a DX, ZC, or HF tranny?

2-Should I use the Integra, Si, or ZC ECU? I know all three will work but which is best for going turbo BEFORE I can afford Hondata?

3- I plan on getting the Greddy SOHC kit and make my own Intercooler/Piping setup. The greddy kit comes with a "blue box" for FMC. Im pretty sure this wont work with the Si ECU. What will I need to replace it?

4-I have seen many different comments about how much PSI to run on a stock ZC. What do you think is safe for tuned w/o Hondata? With Hondata?

5- Whats the real deal with putting SOHC parts in a ZC block. Will stock bore SOHC pistons and rods fit in a stock ZC?

6- Anything else I should be aware of? Any questions/comments are welcome. Thanks for your time
Old 04-27-2002, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Turbo ZC CRX ?'s (TrayDay2K1)

1- I plan on using an Si chassis for the swap because of the MPFI and other obvious reasons. Should I keep the Si tranny or go with a DX, ZC, or HF tranny?

answer1: depending on how much boost you are running and which engine I would elect for the Si tranny. Unless you are boosting like me at 12psi, opt for the Dx gearing. HF will only be good for a shitload of boost over 20lbs.

2-Should I use the Integra, Si, or ZC ECU? I know all three will work but which is best for going turbo BEFORE I can afford Hondata?
answer2: If you want the best ECU for the money get a Zdyne SECU. Hondata doesn't make **** for d series engines.

3- I plan on getting the Greddy SOHC kit and make my own Intercooler/Piping setup. The greddy kit comes with a "blue box" for FMC. Im pretty sure this wont work with the Si ECU. What will I need to replace it?
Answer3: You can try a vortech FMU. Alot of budget turbo guys use them.

4-I have seen many different comments about how much PSI to run on a stock ZC. What do you think is safe for tuned w/o Hondata? With Hondata?
Answer4: NO HONDATA at least for now. I would max it at 9psi. Maybe 10psi but thats pushing it. This is with an Zdyne of course. If you got the adequate fuel you can give it that kinda boost. You gotta be careful though or you'll send a rod through the block.

5- Whats the real deal with putting SOHC parts in a ZC block. Will stock bore SOHC pistons and rods fit in a stock ZC?
Answer5: Yep. in fact the ZC pistons are domed. Si pistons will drop compression but, the rods are weaker than the ZC's. I am assuming you are talking about the DOHC ZC. There are sohc ZC's out there.

6- Anything else I should be aware of? Any questions/comments are welcome. Thanks for your time
Feel free to shoot more questions. I might be able to answer them. I know a lot of people that can help ya out. check out
http://www.homemadeturbo.com

Its really good information.HTH
Old 04-27-2002, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo ZC CRX ?'s (CRXRageD)

1- Cool Ill stick with the Si tranny. I'm planning on ACT Street disk and heavy pressure plate. Was good in bolth my B16a's should be cool for this proj.

2-I looked at the site briefly...sounds goo Ill check it out some more....

3-If I go with the ZDYNE I wont need these correct? I was planning on a Votech FMU and Missing link if Im staying with a stock ECU.Sound good?

4-Sounds good. If I cant afford the ZDYNE Ill stay at 6psi driving crank it to 8 for the track?

5-Yea going with DOHC ZC. Reason being 1)I've aided swapping b16's before but never done one myself. The wiring scares me. 2)I'm really gonna be on a budget and could do another b16 but I wanna learn forced induction 3) Im gonna be doing everything myself hopefully and wanna start easy then go up. Plus if I blow it up ZC's are cheap and easy to pick up.

Thanks for the reply. If you think of anything else lemme know. Im gonna start in a couple months after I move into a house with garage

EDIT:Injectors? Will I need? If so what brand/cc? I did the little worksheet on teh Accel website and found out 330cc. Is that about right?

[Modified by TrayDay2K1, 2:24 AM 4/28/2002]
Old 04-27-2002, 08:42 PM

If you have a zdyne you won't need a vortech fmu. I would suggest at least some form of adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I have a modified B&M, it works, but I am considering something more adjustable like an AEM.

the Zdyne isn't always necessary but helps tremendously. I would invest in a boost controller of some sort, manual or electric, it all depends on your goal. If you want to run a fair amount of boost, get anything bigger than stock injectors. I have 450cc ones right now. I know some people use prelude 310cc injectors without a problem. You might want somehting to control your fuel like a avc-r or an safc from apexi. everything else is kinda pricey.

ZC's are easy as hell to put in. i've done 3 so far. My own was done in less than a day. Good luck to ya.

If you are nutz like me, get the whole thing built. you won't regret it. I'm only utilizing 2/3 of my setups potential. I have to invest in some more dyno time.
Old 04-28-2002, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ill probably just stick with the FMU and Missing link at first cuz of $$ issues. I have a blitz boost controller Im gonna use so thats good. What fuel pressue should I runfor 6-8psi? Im assuming using the B20 prelude injectors from say a 90-91 lude? Is their any mods to the fuel rail for doing this? Ill look into getting some sorta fuel controller, but spending all this cash Id prob be better getting the ZDYNE. I already have the Helms book so putting it in should be a breeze since their is no wiring changes. As far as getting it built, I dont have the $$ for that now and I want to experiment going turbo for a while before I get nuts. Im not the kinda person to go blow a bunch of cash at a shop to make my **** fast I wanna do it all myslef. Thnaks fo all your info. I hate to ask this question cuz so many people ask with no intent but with the setup we've been talking about what can I expect at the track? Thanks again for your help.....
Old 04-29-2002, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was able to put my own Zdyne in less than a day"

I can better that. lol

22 minutes. complete install with a factory boost ZC tune loaded.

So yeah it's really easy to install.
Old 04-29-2002, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can run Hondata on that car with a PR3 ECU. The Zdyne is a better solution at the moment, but if you convert to OBD1, then Hondata is the way to go. The OBD1 conversion isn't that hard and running Hondata over Zdyne has the big advantage of their awesome datalogger.

I had my old 2000 Civic Si/JRSC/Hondata setup pretty nailed before I even got to the dyno. The datalogging option is

I plan on running Hondata on my 1G CRX, but for right now, it's getting an 89 Teg engine/ECU. Once I have that sorted out, I'll do the OBD1 conversion and install my Hondata. I miss using it.

Sonny
Old 04-29-2002, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo ZC CRX ?'s (Bryson)

I was able to put my own Zdyne in less than a day"

I can better that. lol

22 minutes. complete install with a factory boost ZC tune loaded.

So yeah it's really easy to install.
The ZDYNE comes with a ZC factory boost prog? If so how do you like it. Can I run this prog without dyno tune for a while?? Thanks for everyone for your help....awesome....
Old 04-29-2002, 04:20 PM

Yes you can, the program is a bit conservative. If you want mad power, like me, you hit the dyno at night time. not as hot as the day here in texas. You can, but, in the quest for power, it doesn't cut it.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool just wanted to see if I could run the base program for a lil while Im sure Ill be broke as hell when I first get done. Thanks for all the help. I CANT F**KIN WAIT!!!
Old 04-29-2002, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, not "factory", but I just downloaded it off a tune site, and it was setup perfect from the start. If you ask around, I'm sure someone has the link to the site.
Takes about 4 minutes to download, then upload onto the Zdyne.

I said "factory" because it gives you stock "like" drivability.

Edit: Oh I am using "Ricky Crows ZC tune", and I love it!

[Modified by Bryson, 6:51 PM 4/29/2002]
Old 04-30-2002, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo ZC CRX ?'s (Bryson)

well, not "factory", but I just downloaded it off a tune site, and it was setup perfect from the start. If you ask around, I'm sure someone has the link to the site.
Takes about 4 minutes to download, then upload onto the Zdyne.

I said "factory" because it gives you stock "like" drivability.

Edit: Oh I am using "Ricky Crows ZC tune", and I love it!

[Modified by Bryson, 6:51 PM 4/29/2002]
I like your site. Im jocking your ride!! What kinda times you hit with it?? Nice job...
Old 04-30-2002, 08:30 AM
New User

Bryson stealing all the glory!!

Take a loot at the root site below and you can e-mail questions to me or Gary.

My new e-mail is randygaz@attbi.com

Randy
Old 04-30-2002, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo ZC CRX ?'s (RGAZ)

hehehh. Sorry Randy. Thank's a TON for allowing my page on your site.

Randy, and Gary, are the true ones to thank.

If it wasn't for them I wouldn't even have the setup I have!!

Umm times?? Sorry I havn't ran it yet. I have to wait till late May for my local track to open up.

I am going to dyno it soon though.

Once again thanks to RGAZ and GARY for your site!!