Notices

turbo size

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo size

I have not had experience w/ differnt size turbos and amount of lag. So what size turbo would you recommend for about 600-625whp w/ the least turbo lag and I know I will have more thansome, but what is best? This will be on a fully built b18c. Money is no problem, but this will be for the street. I am thinking a gt35r, is that the best for my goal or is there better? I'm looking for some opinions also what size trim should I go with? Again remember money is not the problem I just want to get a good turbo the FIRST TIME!
Old 03-12-2006, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo size (murtnabila)

Old 03-12-2006, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you think you arn't going to the track at all, don't think about 625 WHP. 625 WHP and the street just means awful wheelspin, even on slicks. A .82 A/R GT35R would be a fine choice for a 600-625 WHP setup though.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo size (boosted92)

thx for your reply, but I will definately be seeing a lot of track time. But the car will also see street time here and there. I want the least drag possible. Now out of your formulas how do you use them to figure the least drag? Just asking....
And when buying a gr35r is there different options in housings or anything else that I should know or somebody would recommend?
Like I said I know nothing of turbos yet, still learning. I have been researching too, but tell you the truth I'm more confused now then when I started!
Old 03-12-2006, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by murtnabila &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now out of your formulas how do you use them to figure the least drag? Just asking....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Trim has nothing to do with lag or drag or anything, I thought I explained that. Trim is an arbitrary number used to differentiate between different size wheels inside the same family. It has no bearing or relevance to the performance of the turbo. A/R on the turbine side does, not trim, and a lot of people confuse the two.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by murtnabila &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And when buying a gr35r is there different options in housings or anything else that I should know or somebody would recommend?
Like I said I know nothing of turbos yet, still learning. I have been researching too, but tell you the truth I'm more confused now then when I started!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your only real options for housings is the two choices of turbine A/R (.63 and .82 A/R) and a ported shroud if you want. The GT35R compressor wheel is basically maxed out period at 650 WHP, so if you're pushing it that hard I would definitely run the .82 A/R turbine housing. A ported shroud compressor housing is designed to eliminate compressor surge when you're running a massive turbo on a small displacement motor. I havn't had a problem with compressor surge on GT35R's, and I've heard that the ported shroud compressor covers will cost you some top end horsepower, so I would just stick to the standard TO4S cover.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo size (boosted92)

thank you