Notices

Suggestions request: What similar size turbo behaves similar to PTE's 6266?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions request: What similar size turbo behaves similar to PTE's 6266?

Is there a jb turbo on the market today that has similar spool, size and hp capability like the jb pte 6266? My tuner says theres no turbo on the market today that compares to 6266. Every car he tunes has a precision on it. Kingsmotorsport in fl cant stop talking about it until i had to say please stop. I think i'm probably the only person that really dont want to buy a precision turbo.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default re: Suggestions request: What similar size turbo behaves similar to PTE's 6266?

gtx3582R... pretty darn close when my 6266 took a dump was going to frankenstein it into gtx3582R hybrid jb.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default re: Suggestions request: What similar size turbo behaves similar to PTE's 6266?

Originally Posted by 91integraLSVTEC
Is there a jb turbo on the market today that has similar spool, size and hp capability like the jb pte 6266? My tuner says theres no turbo on the market today that compares to 6266. Every car he tunes has a precision on it. Kingsmotorsport in fl cant stop talking about it until i had to say please stop. I think i'm probably the only person that really dont want to buy a precision turbo.
na youre not the only one. same boat my friend
Old 07-08-2017, 01:42 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

There are Plenty of options that are available for those that don't want to do a Precision turbo. The difference is budget and utility. Kingmotorsports IMHO has lost its edge in being competitive over the last 10 years due to the internet, and have turned into just fanboys of one item or another. Pay them no mind.

The ones below are all Journal Bearing options. Prices do vary, but head to each of them to see what works for you.
*Edit 7-10-17* I like extremeracer's other choice too, so I'm adding it in for reference

Garrett/Affiliates: GTW3884, GT3590S (Reaper)
BW/Affiliates: S362, SX300, S363 SX-E (63/68),S364.5 SX-E (64.5/73)
Bullseye Power : SB466 Street Billet (66mm)
Turbonetics/ Affiliates: TNX-40/64 (uses 64mm inducer wheel) GT-K 750 BilletTGA6165 (Go-Autoworks)
Comp Turbo :CT3X series.

Last edited by TheShodan; 07-10-2017 at 08:27 AM. Reason: good comment by extremeracer to add into post
Old 07-09-2017, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

S363 SX-E (63/68) or S364.5 SX-E (64.5/73) would be my choice alternatively the GTW as Shodan said or one of his STC Garrett based turbos
Old 07-10-2017, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holset HX40
Old 07-10-2017, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

Or just go with the 6266 and be done.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
Old 07-11-2017, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't worry Shodan I'm not using a Precision anymore. I moved back over to COMP for now, see what this turbo will do for me.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:54 AM

Don't worry Shodan I'm not using a Precision anymore. I moved back over to COMP for now, see what this turbo will do for me.
*Whew*
Old 07-11-2017, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i spoke to someone from realstreetperformance on online chat asking about warranty from precision turbos in case of failure. i forgot his name but he completely dodged the question saying precision turbos are high quality and all there cars in the shop runs precision. response just like kingsperformance. i asked why does pte turbos have high failure rate and his response was about oil pressure and not using right oil restrictor . so i asked what size restrictor does pte reccomonded for b16 and said it depends on oil pressure. this means if you want to run a bad *** turbo from pte be prepared to spend alot of $ to keep it running because you will do your own r&d to keep it running. (i went through this with ebay turbo kit and refuse to go through this process again after making decision to go with high dollar "quality parts") also leads me to believe if a manufacture cant provide the correct information your going to have a high degree of failures. cant blame people if your dont provide correct information but yet the still do. if you cant provide correct information and leave the customer to figure it out then that means no r&d was done even after the complaints. you will need someone or shop that has vast experience with precision turbos to run in reliable. this is why i dont want a pte turbo. i dont want to spend $1700+ on a turbo that wont last a year. because here in orlando you cant trust any shop. I did and i ended up with a blown motor. i want to deal with a company that can tell me what i need to keep it its turbo running reliably and 100%. from what ive been researching you will not get that with pte.

Originally Posted by ESP.net
gtx3582R... pretty darn close when my 6266 took a dump was going to frankenstein it into gtx3582R hybrid jb.
what did you end up doing?

Originally Posted by k20z1ej1
na youre not the only one. same boat my friend
thanks seems like i was the only one

Originally Posted by TheShodan
There are Plenty of options that are available for those that don't want to do a Precision turbo. The difference is budget and utility. Kingmotorsports IMHO has lost its edge in being competitive over the last 10 years due to the internet, and have turned into just fanboys of one item or another. Pay them no mind.

The ones below are all Journal Bearing options. Prices do vary, but head to each of them to see what works for you.
*Edit 7-10-17* I like extremeracer's other choice too, so I'm adding it in for reference

Turbonetics/ Affiliates: TNX-40/64 (uses 64mm inducer wheel) GT-K 750 BilletTGA6165 (Go-Autoworks)

Thanks for all the replys! Does anybody have dynos or track times for comparison?

Originally Posted by extremeracer
S363 SX-E (63/68) or S364.5 SX-E (64.5/73) would be my choice alternatively the GTW as Shodan said or one of his STC Garrett based turbos
thanks for the response! have any experience to share?

Originally Posted by TravisBiggie
Holset HX40
i'm a truck driver and i cant tell you how reliable the holset turbos are on a cummins isx. i'm hauling 45k lbs daily driving up those mountains in SE, top speed 25mph but its in 38psi for extended periods of time egts through the roof especially in regen mode and i never turn off the truck when im doing my 10 hr break or 34hr reset. could you imagine a pte turbo on a truck? probably wont survive a 5 min hill climb. I want a reliable turbo like this on my car

i would if pte will not get my $$ unless i get some kind of guarantee

why did you make the switch?
Old 07-11-2017, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Personally I'm running a Holset Super HX40. I'm outside of the US and for us sending a PTE unit back for inspection or repair is just unjustifiably expensive. On the Holset front you can upgrade the HX40 to either a 62 or 67mm compressor wheel and enjoy increased flow rates whilst keeping the Holset journal bearing durability. I have the parts to upgrade mine from "6064" to "6767" specs, I just haven't done so as yet.

The BW stuff is similar in design principle to Holset: Heavy duty internals and housings, wide efficiency range and excellent high pressure ratio capability (efficiency and flow). The SX-E line are just more modern with new technology compressor wheels whereas the Holset stuff is actually getting quite old now (but still a good value option). Whilst their designs (and Schwitzer which became Borg Warner Airwerks) were ahead of the Garrett and Turbonetics pack in the past, the new developments have led to them falling behind now in the "bar talk" flow rate argument.

Hope this helps
Old 07-12-2017, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In all honesty I switched to the Precision 6870 and I ended up going from a 9.5 to an 8.8 over my custom 67mm Garrett. Now to be fair I was not using a strain at that time but I cut about 3 tenths with using a strain. I never had any issues with Precision, now in the past I heard that Precision Journal Bearing stuff did have a lot of failures but the BB stuff is solid, especially the gen2 stuff.

The reason I switched over to the Comp was because I am changing from a top mount to a forward facing manifold and from a 68mm to a custom 7290 ish Comp that came of my buddies car. This is not a test turbo or anything, this turbo ran an 8.31 on his car so I thought I would try it out on mine.

My buddies white Integra also holds the FIS record running an off the shelf Precision 6266 with an 8.49 pass. It was also a used unit when he got it and trust me he has tested multiple turbos on the car and so far nothing has been able to compare. Also pretty much any turbo company will give crap about warranty stuff because almost everyone I have dealt with will try to lay the blame on you. Either way you can choose whatever turbo you want but I wouldn't always go off of other peoples stories. I didn't go with a Precision turbo for a few years because I was always worried that it would break because like you I heard all these horror stories. So instead I spent a lot of money buying and testing other turbos and in the end the Precision kicked all their asses. It sucks because for the money spent I could have just bought the top of the line Precision 6785 or 7285 and could have skipped all the BS.

So again do as you want but don't always believe the horror stories and don't let other people sway your decisions.

Last edited by AZ_CIVIC; 07-12-2017 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:40 AM

So again do as you want but don't always believe the horror stories and don't let other people sway your decisions.

We all show bias or influence to a preference in some way or another. Let's be honest here...

But what kills me is you JUST said you went to Comp for one reason, then pumped up Precision again for another.. then, after boasting someone else's accomplishments using a Precision, have the ***** to say "don't let other people sway your decisions?" C'mon, man even you can see how that is hypocritical.

Persuade or influence all you'd like, but don't say that....... You're putting your foot in your mouth that way, unnecessarily.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: similar size turbo like pte 6266?

We all show bias or influence to a preference in some way or another. Let's be honest here...

But what kills me is you JUST said you went to Comp for one reason, then pumped up Precision again for another.. then, after boasting someone else's accomplishments using a Precision, have the ***** to say "don't let other people sway your decisions?" C'mon, man even you can see how that is hypocritical.

Persuade or influence all you'd like, but don't say that....... You're putting your foot in your mouth that way, unnecessarily.
I am going with that particular Comp Unit because I have seen results with that particular one. This is not an off the shelf unit and it is not another test unit for me to play with this is straight off Joe's car LOL, trust me I told you I got tired of the testing game with turbos. I have had good Comp test runs and bad Comp test runs.

I have never had a Garret Failure and I have run like 8-10 different Garret Turbos, I've lost count LOL, I did have failures with billet wheels but those were not Garrett and I have had success with Precision as well. I am not saying don't use Garrett or Comp or Precision but I have run about 20 different kinds of the three in about 40 different fashions.

Precision gets a lot of negative press in HT forced induction and I am not saying they don't deserve some of that but they are on pretty much every fastest FWD car. The reason I don't feel I sway or persuade is that I have zero gain by persuading one way or the other. I am not a turbo dealer, I have no sponsorships or get any free parts.

I have watched the Precision 6266 Gen 2 on Joe's car run an 8.49 and it is still going strong so I am just stating fact right now. No other 62mm turbo at this point can claim that on an FIS or FWD car. Plus you really can't say I am pushing Precision especially since I just sold my new unit to get a used Comp.

Again you know me, I am strictly drag racing and really don't care about street use or what is the best unit for 400whp or 600whp. If we are talking about strictly competitive drag I think Precision is the winner, longevity for street use and a hands down good company Garrett for sure.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Suggestions request: What similar size turbo behaves similar to PTE's 6266?

I understand that now. but you must even agree that your previous statement was a bit contradictory. This new post finally shows a bit more transparency in your reasoning and not the "cliffs" version that you previously stated

More often than not, the users in the FI forum and similar don't get into Drag Racing at the same level you do, so you must understand that your statements seem rather disparaging and disingenuous when you put the options out that way. It's more than confusing for most people that don't have the full purpose projects that you do. This is why I find it rather interesting that despite your specific experience, you don't devote more of your experience in the Drag Racing forum where your experience would do more good to the masses there, rather than here.

Your persuasiveness just seems to lead more towards the 800whp+ crowd than most of those who think they are looking for it, when you and I know they really can't do it, (or shouldn't and don't know it).

Thank you for at least clearing up your position.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suggestions request: What similar size turbo behaves similar to PTE's 6266?

i spoke to someone from realstreetperformance on online chat asking about warranty from precision turbos in case of failure. i forgot his name but he completely dodged the question saying precision turbos are high quality and all there cars in the shop runs precision. response just like kingsperformance. i asked why does pte turbos have high failure rate and his response was about oil pressure and not using right oil restrictor . so i asked what size restrictor does pte reccomonded for b16 and said it depends on oil pressure. this means if you want to run a bad *** turbo from pte be prepared to spend alot of $ to keep it running because you will do your own r&d to keep it running. (i went through this with ebay turbo kit and refuse to go through this process again after making decision to go with high dollar "quality parts") also leads me to believe if a manufacture cant provide the correct information your going to have a high degree of failures. cant blame people if your dont provide correct information but yet the still do. if you cant provide correct information and leave the customer to figure it out then that means no r&d was done even after the complaints. you will need someone or shop that has vast experience with precision turbos to run in reliable. this is why i dont want a pte turbo. i dont want to spend $1700+ on a turbo that wont last a year. because here in orlando you cant trust any shop. I did and i ended up with a blown motor. i want to deal with a company that can tell me what i need to keep it its turbo running reliably and 100%. from what ive been researching you will not get that with pte.

what did you end up doing?

thanks seems like i was the only one

Thanks for all the replys! Does anybody have dynos or track times for comparison?

thanks for the response! have any experience to share?

i'm a truck driver and i cant tell you how reliable the holset turbos are on a cummins isx. i'm hauling 45k lbs daily driving up those mountains in SE, top speed 25mph but its in 38psi for extended periods of time egts through the roof especially in regen mode and i never turn off the truck when im doing my 10 hr break or 34hr reset. could you imagine a pte turbo on a truck? probably wont survive a 5 min hill climb. I want a reliable turbo like this on my car

why did you make the switch?

Here is my story: Yes precision is pretty vague oil pressure desired at turbo, feed line size and restrictor needed or not. I purchased a T46266 jb precision turbo from Real Street. I used a -3 line and cheap ebay sandwhich plate. I used a -3 feed line on my old Precision SC6176e as well with no issues either. Turbo took a dump from the start it had seem. Was a little hesistant under boost. However it made decent power on Built H23V 475 whp and 373 trq at 15 psi. I drove the car down the street a few times and roughly put 17 miles in a year maybe on new turbo and new built motor. Oil Pressure at motor always been good at a 95 cold and when warm down in 25s. So went for a retune. Turbo smoked tiny bit upon fire up didn't think much of it. Now looking back was maybe a warning sign. However 3 pulls later shaft broke. I went to Real Street on what to do. At this time turbo had 17 miles and was over 2 years old. So the 1 year warranty was now over. So smartest thing I did was went to a local Turbo Specialist. Turbo Technololgy in Tacoma, WA. Who deals with Precision Turbos. They inspected it, yup goner. They mailed it to Precision for me. They called me. It was lack of oil/excess heat. So I had to do some homework to get it straight. Waranteed the turbo and all I had to do was pay $40 to Turbo Tech for the shipping. Smartest move I did. The turbo was indeed a brand new unit with few cosmetic changes ID tag etc. So I was happy got complete new one and not the rebuilt one back. It only took like a week and half all together for the process. So for me A+ on service for Precision.

I switched the cheap *** ebay pre filtered sandwhich for a Golden Eagle post filtered sandwhich which quality of it is pretty top notch. As for the failure of the turbo and lack of oil I can't say. I blame the cheap sandwhich plate "somewhat"

Exactly integra91lsvtec!! Noted I had to do my own research I spent a lot of time talking on the phone to certain people in the know of turbo failure and what should be the ideal oil feed pressure to be seen at the turbo. Shodan on here was pretty helpful. So was Turbo Lab. Guys in the know pointed me to a -4 line with a .060 restrictor. Restrictor hole is size of the plastic head thumb tack. I monitored my Oil Feed Pressure at the Turbo for some time. I tee'd in a Fuel Gauge to read the Oil Pressure. I started it up, see what it put out Cold which should be close to peak and monitored on some local drives down the street. Cold it sees 65 at the turbo. Which in theory should be close to peak at high rpm. This is about perfect it seems because everyone I have talked to says you want to see under 70 ideally 60-65 at the turbo on Cold/Peak.

Precision first told me do not run a restrictor. Then I recently seen a direction sheet made by them that talks about using a restrictor if oil pressure is too much lol. The thing of it is the Newer Precision JB units seem to be lil more finicky (maybe not as strong) as the older units like my SC6176e Precision JB turbo which at that time Precision used the better quality Garrett internals. So now just seems got to pay more attention on the desired oil pressure at the turbo. I like Precision, they got a lot of options and trims which others may not have as many options and specs. From what I hear Borg, FF, Comp, Turbonectics and Garrett internals are much more stout. Also they will tell you exactly what feed to use and in some cases will include the restrictor to use on the JB turbo. So being more stout can take more abuse if your setup isn't exactly right on desired oil pressure.

I also used a funnel CnC type -10 drain in the picture below on this 2nd time around. As you can see the cheap china -10 is much smaller atleast 1.5mm smaller... You need to have adequete drainage as well. This is crucial. I know -10 been used for years. -12 would be smart.

As of yesterday I had the car retuned. Everything is running good, no smoke, no issues. -4 with .060 restrictor. Car made 501 whp and 385 ft lbs of torque at 17 psi on pump. I have a customer I talk to as well. H22 built motor 6262 with straight -4 no restrictor. He recently is noticing lil bit of oil in comp and tiny bit of smoke upon decel. My recommendation was to try out .060 restrictor see it helps.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just buy a garrett, high quality, great service and wont be wondering when its going to blow up.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Borg or Garrett or good choices.... Garrett is $. Just have to pay attention more on the Journal Bearing Line of Precison on the amount of oil pressure and volume with the less sturdy internals.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:54 PM

Then prepare to be disappointed by any turbo manufacturer. This is due to the nature of the product itself. I've stated this in other forums and threads that because this is not a t.v. or an iphone or a refrigerator that is a "static" consumer durable, and relies specifically on the installer/user to put together the right equipment to ensure that the turbo works properly. (This is where your input is important.. ensuring that the agents of the manufacturer, or manufacturer themselves give proper information for the user regarding oil pressures, oil requirements, orientation, etc. A lot of that can be solved by a posting on their website. (Turbonetics and Garrett are pretty consistent in divulging this information by way of white-papers and web-links.

But in the end, it's still up to the user to ensure they do the proper install. the manufacturer can't hold their hand to do this, as there are fewer "professional" installers to use as a go-between for guidance. People are doing it themselves, and they need to bear a lot of that responsibility.

Just coming from a more realistic perspective.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I understand that now. but you must even agree that your previous statement was a bit contradictory. This new post finally shows a bit more transparency in your reasoning and not the "cliffs" version that you previously stated

More often than not, the users in the FI forum and similar don't get into Drag Racing at the same level you do, so you must understand that your statements seem rather disparaging and disingenuous when you put the options out that way. It's more than confusing for most people that don't have the full purpose projects that you do. This is why I find it rather interesting that despite your specific experience, you don't devote more of your experience in the Drag Racing forum where your experience would do more good to the masses there, rather than here.

Your persuasiveness just seems to lead more towards the 800whp+ crowd than most of those who think they are looking for it, when you and I know they really can't do it, (or shouldn't and don't know it).

Thank you for at least clearing up your position.
Well I find myself in FI because I generally feel I am helpful for a lot of people who are either misguided or asking questions. I've had my experiences with daily driving a 500whp Civic for years and have tried so many combos that I can help people that are in the 400whp range to the 1000plus.

Like I said I am no dealer, not sponsored by or an employee of any shop, parts company or turbo company. I don't have to have any loyalty to any company because I pay for everything out of my own pocket. That said I am totally honest when I try parts and turbo's. I am giving my honest opinion on the different turbo's I have run at different horsepower levels and which ones work.

That is the reason I have posted in this particular thread because I believe hands down the Precision 6266 gen 2 smokes any other similar sized competitor. I have seen this turbo produce over 1000whp and watched this turbo make a ton of 8 second passes and is still going strong, so when people assume that this turbo will break within 100 miles I am letting them know exactly what this little beast is capable of.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

AZ civic Gen 2 your reffering to Ball Bearing version? Believe Gen 2 only come 1 way. Not JB

Since we are on the 6266 subject.... thing I enjoyed was the supra build where a person took his setup switched only turbos from 6266 Journal Bearing and 6266 Ball Bearing... Same exact specs... The Ball Bearing did spool up like 500 or so rpm quicker... However the Journal Bearing made more power and torque There is no argument here the Ball Bearing will last longer that is a given with coolant and better cooling. Internals are more stout. But for most a Journal Bearing will work fine
Old 07-13-2017, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

AZ civic Gen 2 your reffering to Ball Bearing version? Believe Gen 2 only come 1 way. Not JB

Since we are on the 6266 subject.... thing I enjoyed was the supra build where a person took his setup switched only turbos from 6266 Journal Bearing and 6266 Ball Bearing... Same exact specs... The Ball Bearing did spool up like 500 or so rpm quicker... However the Journal Bearing made more power and torque There is no argument here the Ball Bearing will last longer that is a given with coolant and better cooling. Internals are more stout. But for most a Journal Bearing will work fine
Yes I was a little confused on exactly which unit he was talking about because he mentions Journal Bearing in the post but than said he didn't want to drop $1700 for the Precision without a warranty. The $1700 price tag is for the Gen2 Ball Bearing unit and $1000 is for the Journal Bearing unit. I have never run the Journal Bearing Precision stuff personally.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The main thing if someone is worried about the warrantee from Precision.... Is to have a Turbo Rebuild or Precision Dealer take a look at it and then have them send it off to get inspected and or fixed and or waranteed and replaced. Having Joe Blow trying to explain what happened is not the best way to get the issue resolved. It's best to have someone in the know take a look inspect say yes, you may have a case here, low miles, right feed size etc, lets send it in and try to get warantee'd. You have a knowledgable dealer help you... you most likely will not get flat out stoned walled on getting anything done $ with less coin. They obviously want to keep there vendors happy seeing they do good on there products, especially if there was a case. Simple business ethics.

Precision had called me once looked at the turbo. Yes they saw physically had low miles like 17 to be exact... no not 17k... 17. They were interested on feed size used, drainage etc. It wasn't my first turbo. So had to expalin regardless of -3 or -4 should of never went, engine showed good oil pressure, feed line was a stealthmode and new, sandwhich was new... They were more worried obviously that they will not warantee me another turbo since one I was getting was going to be new. Which seems right. I simply ensured them going to swap out to Golden Eagle sandwhich plate, -4 line and go from there.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

There are Plenty of options that are available for those that don't want to do a Precision turbo. ...

^good selection. The Turbonetics options come in JB or BB (or DBB on the TN-X). IT all boils down to preference, utility and comfort. I think the biggest factor here is comfort. You want to be comfortable/piece of mind with the longevity of your selection over everything else; which is totally understandable to me. With that in mind, at the top of my list would be Turbonetics or Garrett. Longevity here has never been an issue and performance has always met or exceeded the expectations when sized properly for the goals of the app.

You just aren't going to get that from PTE.

That's correct, the Gen 2 compressor wheel is only a BB option

I think i'm probably the only person that really dont want to buy a precision turbo.
You definitely are not. There's plenty like that, they probably just aren't on forums. There are plenty of places tell you the 6266 PTE is the end all best thing since sliced bread for ANY application (it used to be the 6262).IMO, that just a heavily brand biased selling #s opinion. That isn't knocking PTE at all (we also sell PTE here) but everyone will have their preference. I do not like to try to "overly convince" a person on a turbo. How much power do you want to make?