Notices

turbo restrictor and block fitting question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo restrictor and block fitting question

First question. In the past I have ran a 1/8 npt T fitting on the block, to a 4an line to a 4 way fitting on the firewall, with the stock and aftermarket oil pressure gauges connector to it. Then a 4an line to the turbo. I want to replace the block oil t fitting with a 1/8 Bspt to 1/8npt adaptor. I ordered a glowshift fitting and it has what looks to be a 2mm restrictor built into it(I dont have any precise measuring tools). Would this lower the pressure going to my oil pressure sending units? Should I drill it out to make it wider?

Second question. I have a master power r6164 oil and water fed turbo. Should i run a oil restrictor going into it? This is on a gsr engine.
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2015, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo restrictor and block fitting question

Bump. Does anyone know if the adaptor will cause the oil pressure sensors to read wrong, or cause a lack of oil to get to the turbo? Any help is appropriated.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tasco
Bump. Does anyone know if the adaptor will cause the oil pressure sensors to read wrong, or cause a lack of oil to get to the turbo? Any help is appropriated.
You should be ok to use an adapter out of the block to a remote T on the firewall, that T (actually a TT) will have one entrance port, once exit port to your turbo, and one port for your BSPT oil pressure sender for the dummy light on your dash.

Edit; B series blocks have the pressure sender port PRE filter. I would suggest a sandwich plate that has access to filtered oil to feed your turbo. Better to have layers of security than risk some RTV getting lodged in your oil feed fitting.

If you want to use a restrictor, put it directly at the oil feed on the turbo charger.

I would personally run it without a restrictor and then implement one if I had over oiling issues. Ball bearing turbos are usually better off with a restrictor. But with that being said, oil is the life blood of a turbo, and I would always prefer to have too much oil than too little.... take it for what its worth.

Usually for a journal bearing turbo I run a -3 feed and no restrictor.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:14 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by welfarepc
If you want to use a restrictor, put it directly at the oil feed on the turbo charger.

I would personally run it without a restrictor and then implement one if I had over oiling issues. Ball bearing turbos are usually better off with a restrictor. But with that being said, oil is the life blood of a turbo, and I would always prefer to have too much oil than too little.... take it for what its worth.

Usually for a journal bearing turbo I run a -3 feed and no restrictor.

In addition, you must look at the manufacturer line as well. Just saying "journal bearing" isn't enough. Turbonetics's new TNX line don't require them unless over 90psi of oil pressure. Garrett, and Hybrids using Garrett CHRAs, will need about .060"-.068" for Honda B-series, D-series, K-series, and J-series.

Bottom line for Journal Bearing turbos is to use the right equipment and KNOW YOUR OIL PRESSURE AT COLD START!

Garrett Ball-bearing turbochargers have an integrated restrictor, but it is not enough, and require a .030"-.035" restrictor for all stated above, using a 7/16 -24 thread pitch.

Whether or not it is -3AN or -4AN is irrelevant when using male restrictor fittings going directly into the oil inlet of the turbocharger.

DO NOT USE RESTRICTOR PLATES for oiling systems
Old 08-05-2015, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
In addition, you must look at the manufacturer line as well. Just saying "journal bearing" isn't enough. Turbonetics's new TNX line don't require them unless over 90psi of oil pressure. Garrett, and Hybrids using Garrett CHRAs, will need about .060"-.068" for Honda B-series, D-series, K-series, and J-series.

Bottom line for Journal Bearing turbos is to use the right equipment and KNOW YOUR OIL PRESSURE AT COLD START!

Garrett Ball-bearing turbochargers have an integrated restrictor, but it is not enough, and require a .030"-.035" restrictor for all stated above, using a 7/16 -24 thread pitch.

Whether or not it is -3AN or -4AN is irrelevant when using male restrictor fittings going directly into the oil inlet of the turbocharger.

DO NOT USE RESTRICTOR PLATES for oiling systems
Thanks for the info. Do you know what oil pressure my master power r6164 turbo would like? My engine is still being put together so it will be a couple weeks until I know the cold start pressure.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by tasco
Thanks for the info. Do you know what oil pressure my master power r6164 turbo would like? My engine is still being put together so it will be a couple weeks until I know the cold start pressure.
Sorry. We've spoken before about that series Master Power. I have no idea about their internal tolerances and size gallies. You're going to have to keep a careful eye out for oiling issues with your turbo. Or, talk to others in Brasil who are also using something similar, especially the manufacturer.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
In addition, you must look at the manufacturer line as well. Just saying "journal bearing" isn't enough. Turbonetics's new TNX line don't require them unless over 90psi of oil pressure.
Good info thanks.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have yet to see anyone use an oil restrictor on the Master Power turbo (Im not saying that you dont need it, it's just what I see down here). A buddy of mine used one on his b-series and didn't have any issues not using a restritor.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:37 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is by no means definitive, but a little bit of Google'ing tells me that you don't need a restrictor for that turbo.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
This is by no means definitive, but a little bit of Google'ing tells me that you don't need a restrictor for that turbo.
Or that the threshold and oil galleries are larger like the Borg Warner s300 & s400 series...

Like I said.. Oil pressure and size aperture, not just a yes/no question
Old 08-09-2015, 01:05 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possibly, I don't know enough about how oil pressure and turbos work, I just take your more knowledgeable word on it I just searched around, found three different people with different (but similar in oil pressure) motors who had turbos eat themselves with a restrictor, then run fine (or rather, the replacement did) without one. As I said, though, not in any way definitive.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Possibly, I don't know enough about how oil pressure and turbos work, I just take your more knowledgeable word on it I just searched around, found three different people with different (but similar in oil pressure) motors who had turbos eat themselves with a restrictor, then run fine (or rather, the replacement did) without one. As I said, though, not in any way definitive.
But still helpful, don't get my message wrong, here.