Notices

turbo rebuild. is it difficult?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo rebuild. is it difficult?

o.k. heres my question. you know those turbos on ebay that are sold by people who are honest enough to admit that they might need a rebuild? well, if i purchase one, how hard is it to take everything apart and put it back together with all new gadgets needed to fuction like new again? also, those turbo rebuild kits sold on ebay? are they pretty complete and reliable? the reason i am asking about imput about going this route is because i'm not so wealthy as to purchase a brand spankin' new one like i wish. I am pretty mechanically inclined, so i know i can do the rebuild if all that is needed are the common hand tools. I've never rebuilt one so i need to know if there are any problems that i am sure to encounter during the rebuild. I'm a big time do-it-yourselfer. and im just tryin' to add another skill to myself. haha! any and ALL help is greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 09-18-2004, 03:53 PM

Default Re: turbo rebuild. is it difficult? (lazyeyez)

im pretty sure you need a balancing machine when you put it back together so it does not shake its self to bits as it revs to 120k
Old 09-18-2004, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo rebuild. is it difficult? (crispydee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crispydee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im pretty sure you need a balancing machine when you put it back together so it does not shake its self to bits as it revs to 120k</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you get the impeller shaft and compressor wheel out of alignment, sure. If you mark then and put them back in alignment, nope. Otherwise, it's cake... unless you forget about the left hand threads and wring the end of the shaft off trying to remove the nut.