Notices

Turbo question!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo question!?!?

Okay right now I have a garrett gt28r turbo on a long manifold and with a external wastgate. Well my seals went bad and I had been thinking of upgrading anyway well idk what to get. Many have said a Precission 6262, but i have a buddy selling a Garrett t4 for 500 or a Percission 60-1 for 900..the t4 is journal bearing and 60-1 is ball bearing.. T4 is twin scroll and 60-1 is not..Also t4 in new and 60-1 is slightly used..

My setup is
-stock GSR
-long manifold, that i want to change to a top mount
-tuned w\ crome, changing to s300
-Tial wastgate 38mm, probably change with new manifold

What do y'all think?

need more info let me know..
Old 05-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo question!?!?

Ball bearing turbos move much more freely than journal bearing. Precision is well known for this. See bisimotos wagon. It's a perfect example. But in any case, you may look for something better suited than a top mount. What will you use the car for? What are your power goals?
Old 05-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my boy got a stick gsr in 10 pounds
Old 05-02-2011, 02:33 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jestin91
my boy got a stick gsr in 10 pounds

How is this remotely helpful to the thread?

OP: Be sure to get the turbo that suits your needs and get the car tuned accordingly. You could also purchase a rebuild kit for your current turbo if your budget is constrained.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:48 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It's not. Not at all.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well right now before i build it i was looking to get some fun out of it by doing 7psi hopefully in the range of 250-260. They both say the turbo would spool around 3000rpm even with the top mount being ball bearing i wouldnt think it would change but the journel i would think would take a little longer. Or i also could go with some ram horn but top mount look so much better. Ive been leaning toward the 60-1. what do you think?
Old 05-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get a good tune cuz that a high comp motor so yea
Old 05-03-2011, 05:32 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

make sure the turbocharger is dead first. Turbo "seals" don't just die, especially on a GT-R series unit. Check your return line fitment first.

You have listed about 4 different turbos that act completely different at 7psi either way. Slow down. check your current configuration because that turbo is the right size for what you're asking for at 260whp. These other turbos (yes even in ball-bearing form) will make you hate life.

If the cartridge is indeed dead, you have to replace the cartridge, it cannot be rebuilt.

You got some thinking to do in the meantime. Stop worrying about boost pressure, and make sure you have the turbo you need, not just what "your buddy can give you". He's pawning it off for a reason; because he can't use it either.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:46 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

theres no way a t4 6262 will back boost at 3k... even a 60-1 is overkill for your goals... your 28r is almost perfect for what you want

like mac said, make sure its dead first before you do anything and for 900 dollars you can get a new CHRA for your current turbo.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i mean i have been wanting an upgrade, but i would love to not spend that much you know..So do y'all think i should take it off and send it to a turbo shop to see whats happened for what i know is the turbo was used and then sat for awhile now i have put the turbo back in use and it ran for about a week and then shaft play got really really bad and then one day i looked and saw my compressor housing was black, I just automatically assumed seals..could it be something else?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Zukka
well i mean i have been wanting an upgrade, but i would love to not spend that much you know..So do y'all think i should take it off and send it to a turbo shop to see whats happened for what i know is the turbo was used and then sat for awhile now i have put the turbo back in use and it ran for about a week and then shaft play got really really bad and then one day i looked and saw my compressor housing was black, I just automatically assumed seals..could it be something else?
Before spending another dime on anything. Take this to turbo facility (no "over-the-phone" or "over-the-internet" diagnosis) and find out what is truly wrong before determining whether or not you need to upgrade. If you do, make it a simple upgrade and go with a GT-R series turbocharger. No T4 6262 even in ball-bearing form will come even close to the response of what you had, especially for the power goals that you're looking for.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure you research about journal bearing and ball bearing, ball bearing is water cooled if you wanna deal with all of that go ahead better overall but it's up to you and like TheShodan said don't waste unnecessary money I put out 260 with a 50 trim eBay turbo you should be able to too with a gt28r
Old 05-04-2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by LS_VTECteggy
Make sure you research about journal bearing and ball bearing, ball bearing is water cooled if you wanna deal with all of that go ahead better overall but it's up to you and like TheShodan said don't waste unnecessary money I put out 260 with a 50 trim eBay turbo you should be able to too with a gt28r
its not the watercooling that is unique to these turbos, it is the flanging. If he wants all the finish and fitment he had before, he needs to get something as a replacement within the same family.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

took it to a shop today they are going to look at it and tell me but they know for sure its got bad seals but they are going to tear it apart and see what all is wrong. I think depending on how much it cost to fix will be the determining factor, im expecting no more than 200 if its seals..but i will let y'all know what they say.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:22 PM

took it to a shop today they are going to look at it and tell me but they know for sure its got bad seals but they are going to tear it apart and see what all is wrong. I think depending on how much it cost to fix will be the determining factor, im expecting no more than 200 if its seals..but i will let y'all know what they say.
If this shop knows what they're doing, they'll see the ball-bearing bushings and say "Oh ****!!, we can't fix this.. Time for a new cartridge". (But if its a turbonetics, you may be able to do something about it.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd go with the 60-1 in a t3 .63ar housing.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

your shop = stupid...
you can't rip apart a BB CHRA (well, you can but you won't get it back together) the wheels are press fit to the shaft, the inner race normally comes apart when you pull the turbine shaft out.

you need a new CHRA plain and simple
Old 05-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So i have been trying to post the past few days, but my computer was being stupid. I took it to the shop, turns out is not ball bearing, I had no clue I was just going off what I had researched, but my seals where gone and some thing else was wrong but I couldnt hear them but it was like 350 to fix it. And should get it back this friday at the latest. Oh also they said it was a turbo they used to run on the old Thunder Bird.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:41 PM

Oh wow. A T3 SUPER 60 with a 5 bolt turbine housing mated to fit an internal wastagate.. That is definitely both water cooled and journal bearing as a cartridge. THAT makes much more sense. Good luck with your rebuild and happy boosting.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the help..Quick question since my coolant and oil mixed I got a white milky substance in the head..How would you go about cleaning it out? just tear the head apart or is there and easier way?