Notices

turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo question

I know the greddy kit uses an 18g turbo, but could you get a dsm 20g or 16g on a honda motor. The reason I ask is because I would like an internal wastegate for now. I still need to pass emissions and from what I've seen, dsm aftermarket turbos usually come with internal wastegates.
Old 04-21-2002, 02:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: turbo question (sweettooth)

I know the greddy kit uses an 18g turbo, but could you get a dsm 20g or 16g on a honda motor. The reason I ask is because I would like an internal wastegate for now. I still need to pass emissions and from what I've seen, dsm aftermarket turbos usually come with internal wastegates.
just cause you have a Mitsubishi turbo doesn't mean you'll pass emmissions. the 18G and 20G's dont even come on stock DSM's (at least not Eclipses/Talons).

The 20G is the size of the compressor fan/ and it would be better suited to a T4 equivalent turbine, like a T05? or T06. 20G's are also best suited for high boost (15-20+ PSI), which is why I say the T4 equivalent turbine is a good idea. BTW you'll also want to go with a external WG conversion, if you plan on using hte 20G.

[Modified by BlueShadow, 4:12 PM 4/21/2002]
Old 04-21-2002, 04:24 AM

Default Re: turbo question (BlueShadow)

if you're wanting to fit a different turbo on a greddy kit it's not going to work, soemthing is really weird about the way a greddy kit fits, in fact i doesn't really fit at all............. but for emmisions, i mean i dont have to deal with them in florida, but if you just pull over a few miles away from where you're getting tested and turn down your wastegate to handle 2 psi or so.... wouldn't help out, then when you leave, it turn it up again? haha
Old 04-21-2002, 06:25 AM

20g is huge belive me. Would make no sense to even pick this up unless your runing over 12psi
Old 04-21-2002, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo question (TurboSohc)

20g is huge belive me. Would make no sense to even pick this up unless your runing over 12psi
20G is just the size of the compressor and housing, it doesn't tell you the size of the turbine. I think the 20G is compareable in size to a T04E 60 trim, I'll have to double check cause I'm not positive.

the first letters and numbers you see in the mitsubishi coding system tells you the size of the turbine and housing. TD04H, TD05H, TD06 etc. The TD04 is comparable to a T3 .48 a/r, and the TD05 is comparable to a T3 .63 a/r, while the T3 is probably the size of a T4. I'm not sure on those, I'm just basing that on what Greddy supplies with the Civic and Integra kit, and what DSM owners say the turbos are capable of.

there was a website http://www.3si...something that gives you the measurements of the mitsu turbos but I havent been able to dechiper it or find out how they compare with standard turbo labels (T3/T04E etc)
Old 04-21-2002, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here's the site that I originally learend about how to read the Mitsubishi turbo coding system. however it was on http://www.3si.org that I saw the measurements for the turbos.
http://www.dim.com/~mackys/z/mods/upgraded-turbos.html

Bens Z shrine:

Now, let's switch subjects to the Mitsubishi turbos. Garrett's model designation system is a bit screwy, but Mitsubishi's appears even less consistent. Most Mitsu turbo model numbers look something like this:

Tx0y-NNL

Where x is a letter specifying exhaust fan(?), y is a number specifying exhaust housing size(?), NN is a number specifying compressor fan(?), and L is a letter specifying compressor housing(?). So, for instance, a TD05-15G turbo differs from a TD05-20G turbo by the size of the compressor fan.

At least, this is the best I can deduce. Adding to my confusion is that a lot of people just say the first part ("Yeah, I got a pair of TD05's!") or just the last part ("Yeah, I upgrade to a 20G!") and never bother to tell you what the rest of the turbo is like. Which makes it kind of hard to judge what kind of turbos they have.

Does this all sound terribly complicated? Well it is! And I haven't even told you about compressor efficiency flow maps or 10 vs. 9 bladed fans! It's hard picking turbos! I'm still trying to figure it out.

But anyway, I hope this helps a bit.
Old 04-21-2002, 10:21 AM

basically the reason I ask is because unless I can find a way to cheat emissions, I'm probably going with the greddy kit. The problem is most people here say the 18g is too small of a turbo.
Old 04-21-2002, 11:31 AM

get a good turbo setup you want and pay the smog guy a little extra. works over here in cali and this place is a bitch with emissions.
Old 04-21-2002, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

basically the reason I ask is because unless I can find a way to cheat emissions, I'm probably going with the greddy kit. The problem is most people here say the 18g is too small of a turbo.
I'm assuming you have the Civic Si or the Integra kit with the TD05-18G. If so, I've heard that those turbos can flow for a maximum of 400-450 HP.

The thing with the Greddy kit is it has numerous "bottlenecks" that limit the power. If you take out the Greddy parts and replace them with better, custom parts, you'l definately get some power. BTW the reason why I say remove the Geddy parts rather then modify the Greddy parts, is so that when smog test time comes around you can swap the Greddy parts back in to pass the visual.

The following are some of the things I can think of that limit power on the Greddy kit:

1) larger diameter downpipe
2) fuel management (get a standalone or Hondata)
3) larger injectors
4) larger fuel pump
5) custom intake pipe with BOV (installing a BOV on the kit and you lose the CARB exemption) swap the Greddy intake pipe without BOV when smog test comes around.
6) Electronic Boost Controller (EBC) to raise the boost

thats about all I can think off, I'm sure there's more though. you can keep the internal WG and boost up to 12-15 PSI, just make sure your engine is built and you tune it properly.