Notices

Turbo qeustions

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbo qeustions

I've got a block and am seriously considering boost, with a turbo that can push up to 500hp. I really only want 350whp, but in case i want to crank it up in the future, it'll be ready. My question is primarily, is there a manifold and turbo setup that does not require a half radiator? I already have a full radiator slim fan and am not sure if I want to give it up. There is the possiblity this will go on another car any way, but I wondered just in case I use my Teg. I've been reviewing peak boost and bullseye turbos any tought on either of these companies?
Old 08-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Turbo qeustions

you have to use a half radiator for the peakboost kit....also it depends on what type of makifold you get, but you will have to eliminate your ac. but im pretty sure they have an ac option available
Old 08-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Both Peakboost and Bullseye have nice products, cant go wrong with either. Im pretty sure every kit requires a half radiator.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Integra
a turbo that can push up to 500hp. I really only want 350whp
Do you realize the differences between 350whp and 500whp are? A 350whp turbo (GT28x) will spool up quite a lot faster than a 500whp turbo (GT30x). Not only that, but you won't be able to use much over 300whp on street-legal tires.

Anyways since that wasn't the real question - very few turbo kits are intended for AC or full rad. On issue with your current setup is that you'll have to wrap every inch of the manifold to keep from overheating. The large rad will soak up every btu of heat, which means a full rad + unwrapped manifold/turbo will be WORSE than a half-rad. If you do go with a half-rad, you'll also want a name-brand fan like SPAL (ebay units are junk, flow very little), and also a shroud. You can go w/o a shroud if you get the ultra-extreme SPAL, since you're attacking the problem with brute-force instead. If you keep the full rad, you'll need 2 fans. One fan on a full-rad will only cool half the coolant.

To make a long story short, get a half-rad, shroud, SPAL fan and you'll open up your kit choices immensely.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I do. Do not try to school me on boost.lol I just want to know if there is a need to get rid of the radiator or not. That was answered very well though by all of you. Thanks. Maybe I should have mentioned that I've already removed the A/C and have a full size slim fan. That was the reason for the question. Like I said, I have a second block sitting around, and it may get custom piping anyway being in another car. If I go that way, it would be a track car. If not, I'll fab my own pipng to clear everything. Sounds easier than finding a "kit" that works with current setup.

:Not a boost guru, just know enough to understand:
Old 08-26-2009, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also to further answer your numerous concerns HiProfile:
1)you are mentioning things I already know
2)I don't race on the street
3)I already don't have great grip on my tires
4)I want to experience 300-350 before I jump to 500 on a honda(already done that in a sube)

What I did not consider though, was the radiator soaking up the manifold's/turbine's heat. But then agian I won't be sittin in traffic either, plus I got both fans hooked up so they both come on. Thanks though for that tid bit. I'll use this in my decision.
Oh, what the heck. full valvetrain with bullet proof bottom end with 2.2L and a GT42R. LOL

Last edited by S2Integra; 08-26-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

A full size may soak up in stop and go, but I run a full size with my setup and no wrap and it locks in at the thermostat opening temp (180) as soon as I hit a highway. Gets cooler the faster I go hehe.

A GT2871r would be a great turbo for your goals. Youd be surprised how fast you'll be going at even 400whp.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HiProfile
Anyways since that wasn't the real question - very few turbo kits are intended for AC or full rad. On issue with your current setup is that you'll have to wrap every inch of the manifold to keep from overheating. The large rad will soak up every btu of heat, which means a full rad + unwrapped manifold/turbo will be WORSE than a half-rad. If you do go with a half-rad, you'll also want a name-brand fan like SPAL (ebay units are junk, flow very little), and also a shroud. You can go w/o a shroud if you get the ultra-extreme SPAL, since you're attacking the problem with brute-force instead. If you keep the full rad, you'll need 2 fans. One fan on a full-rad will only cool half the coolant.

To make a long story short, get a half-rad, shroud, SPAL fan and you'll open up your kit choices immensely.
Um wrong.........

you want to explain how i was able to run my turbo ef with a full rad and NO radiator fans for a year and only got hot once and that was 10-15 min idle in the drive through behind cars. i mean i have friends who's cars get hot doing pulls with a half core.

If there is twice the area to get "heat soaked" then there is also twice the area to shed heat, let alone the extra fluid capacity witch really helps.

I will agree with you on getting a good quality fan a shroud as that just makes sense.

My car is the perfect example of what NOT to do. but it also shows the advantage of a larger capacity cooling system.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
A full size may soak up in stop and go, but I run a full size with my setup and no wrap and it locks in at the thermostat opening temp (180) as soon as I hit a highway. Gets cooler the faster I go hehe.

A GT2871r would be a great turbo for your goals. Youd be surprised how fast you'll be going at even 400whp.
he basically want a turbo that can support up to 500whp.

gt30r
gt35r
s362 or s262
these seems be right for your goal.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a 30r will get you there easily, with the least amount of lag for a 500hp car, and great transient response.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would say the gt3076r or the s256/s258 would be a great choice. or if your on budget. get a to4e 50trim, might not make 500 hp but would be cheap and make plenty of power.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^X2 forgot about s200 series.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HP coating is a nice option from Peakboost, i got the manifold downpipe and hot side all done will post pics as soon as Ken sends me the kit
Old 08-27-2009, 02:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a lot of log manifolds dont require you to get a half rad. they flow less efficiently than the ram horns, but if your going for 350 on a t3 or so shouldnt be that much of an issue. if its heat saok into the rad your worried about, get a turbo blanket and wrap your DP/elbow.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 91jdmhatchback
Um wrong.........

you want to explain how i was able to run my turbo ef with a full rad and NO radiator fans for a year and only got hot once and that was 10-15 min idle in the drive through behind cars. i mean i have friends who's cars get hot doing pulls with a half core.

If there is twice the area to get "heat soaked" then there is also twice the area to shed heat, let alone the extra fluid capacity witch really helps.

I will agree with you on getting a good quality fan a shroud as that just makes sense.

My car is the perfect example of what NOT to do. but it also shows the advantage of a larger capacity cooling system.
Good point regaurding the fans. I agree, If a track car, why have them. On the other hand when moving, how can the radiator possibly soak heat when the ambient air is being forced through the fins, absorbing the enery of the water retained in the radiator, theryby stabilizing thermal properties within the motor? Well, at least you gave me something to ponder and research. Thanks.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any way, I can get sump oil pump with external resivoir and run that through a cooler as well, right?