Notices

turbo problem HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 02:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo problem HELP!!!

Hey guys I just finish putting a turbo in my sister's civic si with 40k on it.
1st problem can't control the boost on it?
2nd problem after a day of driving we tried to get the boost to hold at 4-5lb so we test to see. We went to test it out and beat on it and after we found out that we were pulling 14lb of boost, we went back. Opened the hood and smoke was coming out of the oil cap and the small lil filter. No smell of anything and car's running find... Need help thank for any info...

Old 09-28-2003, 02:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo problem HELP!!! (si foo)

14lbs? wow. no boost gauge?

where is the hose from the wastegate hooked up to?
Old 09-28-2003, 02:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1. do you have a boost controller?
2. what spring are you using in your wastegate?
3, check all of you WG vacuum lines carefully...
Old 09-28-2003, 02:48 AM

Default Re: turbo problem HELP!!! (MiraiZ)

Yes i have a manual boost controller from turbonetics
I have no idea but I tried 2 wastegates thinking it was broken
Did that alot

Also do u have any idea why smokes coming out of the valve cover filter? Anyone have this problem or heard of it?
Old 09-28-2003, 02:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by si foo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes i have a manual boost controller from turbonetics
I have no idea but I tried 2 wastegates thinking it was broken
Did that alot

Also do u have any idea why smokes coming out of the valve cover filter? Anyone have this problem or heard of it?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

1.dude....its probably your MBC...did you try running without it?
2.Your not gonna be able to run 5psi unless you have a 5psi spring in the WG already.
3. as for smoke form the breather...thats blowby...do a compression check before you go any further. I would't run it again on the way its setup up now...you're blowby may get worse
Old 09-28-2003, 03:36 AM

first off thanks man
what's MBC?
I drove the car home 5 miles after the I found out about the smoke it's seem to run fine but still smoking... What's the reason for it to smoke? There's no smell from the smoke, I hope it was just over heating really bad. The motor was really hot and the cooling hose...Blowby??? There wasn't alot of smoke but enough to see.
Once again thanks...
Old 09-28-2003, 03:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

MBC= manual boost controller
Blowby = when oil seeps past the oil rings and burns in the combustion chamber (too much is not a good sign!)

find out EXACTLY where the smoke is coming from...if you have a lot of smoke from the breather filter, you may have blown a ring. Note the color of the smoke too.

If its steam, could be that your leaking coolant somewhere. CHECK CHECK CHECK!!! and stop driving it!!
Old 09-28-2003, 04:48 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MiraiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">MBC= manual boost controller
Blowby = when oil seeps past the oil rings and burns in the combustion chamber (too much is not a good sign!)

find out EXACTLY where the smoke is coming from...if you have a lot of smoke from the breather filter, you may have blown a ring. Note the color of the smoke too.

If its steam, could be that your leaking coolant somewhere. CHECK CHECK CHECK!!! and stop driving it!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

So far the motor runs fine no lagg, no boging, nothing leaking, and no sign of anything. When can blowbys be good or ok?
I'm going to check the compression asap, going to drive it tommrow and see if there's still smoke. What if there's no more smoke ( please god ) what does that mean? I don't understand what I did to it, lol
This is the second motor with the same turbo set up I'm about to toss the turbo out it's pissing me off. How did this happen I just had the motor swaped in with the turbo had it running for one day fine b4 beating the **** out of it and now this...
Old 09-28-2003, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

One thing about turbos is that u have to have enough fuel. check the wg spring.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ditch the MBC first off and run off the wastegate spring. After that do a compression test and if that doesn't show anything odd do a leakdown. Just because there are no "signs" doesn't mean there is nothing wrong.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you're always gonn get some kind of blowby...even on an NA car...but if its so excessive that you see or smell oil burning, thats never a good sign. It usually means that you've killed your oil rings or ringlands.

secondly...as everyone mentioned, lose the MBC...it obviously is not working and may have been the the culprit that killed your first engine.

Laslty, did you JUST rebuild the engine??? If so, did you break it in?
Old 09-28-2003, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

14 LBs, the ringlands are definetly gone, especially with smoke coming out of the breather valve. Pull out the oil dip stick while the car is idling, if exhaust fumes come out, you need to rebuild it.

Does the car idle fine at idle? If you keep driving it, it'll get worse and eventually the car will feel really weak off the line and have a bumpy idle.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think you mentioned any engine management at all, so if your fueling needs weren't met on that 14psi run, you most likely blew something. If you're lucky, it might just be the headgasket, but if you're getting a lot of blowby, it's probably the ringlands as was suggested above. I would not drive the car AT ALL until a compression and/or leakdown test is done, and I would not slap a turbo onto another engine until you're sure you know exactly what you're doing. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:13 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (inspyral)

im sorry but it sounds like your rings are gone
Old 09-28-2003, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by si foo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So far the motor runs fine no lagg, no boging, nothing leaking, and no sign of anything. When can blowbys be good or ok?
I'm going to check the compression asap, going to drive it tommrow and see if there's still smoke. What if there's no more smoke ( please god ) what does that mean? I don't understand what I did to it, lol
This is the second motor with the same turbo set up I'm about to toss the turbo out it's pissing me off. How did this happen I just had the motor swaped in with the turbo had it running for one day fine b4 beating the **** out of it and now this...</TD></TR></TABLE>

dont drive the car.. do compression test first, i have smoke from breather/oil cap - my compression is like 120 on cyl #3 and 180 on cyl #2, it doesn't cure itself but you can stop it from getting worse,

so do a compression test first!
Old 09-28-2003, 04:41 PM

Default Re: turbo problem HELP!!! (Tein Man)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tein Man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">14 LBs, the ringlands are definetly gone, especially with smoke coming out of the breather valve. Pull out the oil dip stick while the car is idling, if exhaust fumes come out, you need to rebuild it.

Does the car idle fine at idle? If you keep driving it, it'll get worse and eventually the car will feel really weak off the line and have a bumpy idle.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for all the info so far guys . I had the car pulling at 14lbs for a second cuz once I saw the boost gauge, I stop pushing it. No smell from anything. The car idle fine at about 700-800, also no exhaust fumes the exhaust sounds fine too. If i didn't open the hood to see the smoke I would of never known cuz it sounds, perform, no leads, it seems to be perfert, besides the lil smoke.
Also how do I running the turbo without the MBC?

It's a stock B16a2 not rebuild with 40k on it. Turbo set up with exhaust, SAFC. Was thinking of doing the fuel sometime later on...
Old 09-28-2003, 05:05 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by si foo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It's a stock B16a2 not rebuild with 40k on it. Turbo set up with exhaust, SAFC. Was thinking of doing the fuel sometime later on...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats ALL you have on it.........what about injectors ? you stockers won't help you out. You need somthing like 450cc's then use the safc to tune them.
That milla second you took it to 14psi MAY have been your doom.
As stated before STOP driving it and look into the problem and get it solved.
good luck.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock injectors + 14lbs = something broken! even if it was for a milla second you may have stumbled onto a big problem. what is your Engine Management? do you at least have an fmu and an inline fuel pump? if you had these installed with the stock injectors you may be alright...but without your gonna need a rebuild...something gave way!