Notices

turbo necesities

Old 02-07-2005, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo necesities

im doing my turbo setup, and yes i know i need to do internals, tuning, all that good stuff... but is there anything else i need to do to my frame, axles, drivetrain, motors mounts, all that? i have an act stage 2 clutch, jun flywheel, and LSD tranny so i think im safe there. i know that with the setup i am buying i should be in the low 12's. any input would be great. thanks.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: turbo necesities (Lude-acris)

This is the first time I have actually seen someone ask these important questions!

Yes, with any increase in torque, you are going to put additional stress on almost every part of the car, including the suspension, axles, motor mounts, transmission, even the brakes.

I always try to think of each individual part as a weak link in a chain.

Okay, so I am making 200 pounds of torque now. can my clutch handle it? Okay, what about the stock gearbox? the axles? With all that torque, how can I avoid wheelhop and torque steer? If I plan on driving fast at some point, are my brakes good enough to stop me? What if I am using my car for Autocross? Can the suspension handle the extra load I will place on it around the turns?

Every incremental increase in torque brings with it an entire set of other vehicle parameters that need to be changed. Try to think of the car as a system, and avoid simply replacing things as they fail. Most importantly, you need to set up the car for what it is being used for and your style of driving.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: turbo necesities (beepy)

cool man thanks for the input. like i said the guy who has the setup now ran a 12.7 with 379 whp... so im thinking for sure im going to need to do motor mounts and axles, the car isnt going to be a daily driver, at least not after the first 2 or 3 months i have it. i just want it to be a weekend car i can take out and eat up porsches, vettes, lambo's, all those stinky car's. let me know if theres anything else specifically ill need to do. thanks again