Notices

total seal rings...machine shop telling me to KEEP them...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default total seal rings...machine shop telling me to KEEP them...

did a search on here and most people are saying total seal "****" rings are junk. doesn't seat properly, smoke, etc. trust me, i did my research. well, i bought a block with total seal rings in them. i just need to get it honed and i'm ready to boost.

the shop i spoke with, valley engine & machine, says he can do it and it'll seat properly. i asked him if i should get OEM instead but he said, "no... if you're running turbo, just run the total seal ring." he said he does about 50 honda blocks a month. not all of them with total seal rings but he knows what he's doing i guess.

what should i do? let him hone it with the total seal rings or get OEM?
Old 02-07-2005, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: total seal rings...machine shop telling me to KEEP them... (1.8)

OEM will most likely give out before the total seals.....

thats about all I can say for you though....sorry...I run arias pistons and the way they are made you hav to use arias only cause of the thickness or some ****.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:19 PM

valley engine & machine is a very reputable machine shop that has been around for a while. Quality if their work is very good. Prices seem to be a little high though.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Re: total seal rings...machine shop telling me to KEEP them... (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OEM will most likely give out before the total seals.....

thats about all I can say for you though....sorry...I run arias pistons and the way they are made you hav to use arias only cause of the thickness or some ****.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so you're saying total seal rings will last longer? and i should stick with them?

msmotorsport, they're charging me $40 to hone it. $200 to hone and assemble the block. i don't trust myself assembling it myself. price seems resonable.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I personally never seen total seal rings seal worht a **** in honda block. But alot of the DSM guys as well as the domestic crowd have no issues running the total seals rings. I peronsally would run either hastings or brand
Old 02-07-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: total seal rings...machine shop telling me to KEEP them... (b18bturbo)

will OEM work with SRP pistons? GE told me i gotta get SRP rings. my pistons are 81mm.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:36 PM

SRP ring lands are different from OEM. You'll need to get the JE pro seal rings for your specific application,
Old 02-07-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: total seal rings...machine shop telling me to KEEP them... (msmotorsports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by msmotorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">SRP ring lands are different from OEM. You'll need to get the JE pro seal rings for your specific application,</TD></TR></TABLE>

i contacted JE but can't get a hold of anyone there. how much do those run for?

i'm really on a budget here. if i can save money by using the total rings, that'll be better for me since i gotta get hondata. but if you guys recommend the JE/SRP rings, i'll get that.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: total seal rings...machine shop telling me to KEEP them... (msmotorsports)

JE rings are manufactured by hastings so if you can get yuor self a set of hastings you should be good to go
Old 02-07-2005, 12:41 PM

Default Re: total seal rings...machine shop telling me to KEEP them... (b18bturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18bturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">JE rings are manufactured by hastings so if you can get yuor self a set of hastings you should be good to go </TD></TR></TABLE>

cool. thanks for the info. i never knew that. hastings it is then.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the cost for the rings should be no more than about 85 bucks so dont go paying too much for them
Old 02-07-2005, 12:48 PM

know where i can purchase them right now?
Old 02-07-2005, 12:51 PM

ok Total seal ring need to be seated properly and you wont have any problem. This is how I do for my race engine... You have to clean the cylinder wall until you can pass a white clothe on them and the clothe is clean. Use the Total seal dry lube on the cylinder wall. Its a kind of green powder. When you do the break in, as you start the engine you have to put a load on the rings... and seat them with the load of the engine.

Belive me they are not *crap*
Old 02-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

raceeng.com has plenty of the rings instock
Old 02-07-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Re: (yellowturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yellowturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok Total seal ring need to be seated properly and you wont have any problem. This is how I do for my race engine... You have to clean the cylinder wall until you can pass a white clothe on them and the clothe is clean. Use the Total seal dry lube on the cylinder wall. Its a kind of green powder. When you do the break in, as you start the engine you have to put a load on the rings... and seat them with the load of the engine.

Belive me they are not *crap*</TD></TR></TABLE>

what do you mean put a load on the rings and seat them with the load of the engine?
Old 02-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1.8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">know where i can purchase them right now?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hit up Ben@ImportParts.com , I recently talked to him about ordering some Wiseco replacement rings and he was quick to reply and seemed to have a variety of rings available.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yellowturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok Total seal ring need to be seated properly and you wont have any problem. This is how I do for my race engine... You have to clean the cylinder wall until you can pass a white clothe on them and the clothe is clean. Use the Total seal dry lube on the cylinder wall. Its a kind of green powder. When you do the break in, as you start the engine you have to put a load on the rings... and seat them with the load of the engine.
Belive me they are not *crap*</TD></TR></TABLE>

So are you saying when you first fire it up imediatley drive the car ? Or do a burn out ? Cause I have heard of builders breaking a race motor in inside the burnout box.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: total seal rings...machine shop telling me to KEEP them... (jfoster)

Total seal rings are not junk. Total seal is a brand, not just a ring style. The gapless rings are what people usually have problems with.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: total seal rings...machine shop telling me to KEEP them... (civicross)

quick help...i'm about to order the SRP/JE rings. how do i measure the exact size of the pistons? i don't want to get the wrong size. the guy i bought it from says they're 81mm but he wasn't even sure.