turbo my d16z6

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo my d16z6

i was thinking about turbo ing my d16z6..and doing pnp head...is that good??for the turbo or not pnp head??
Old 10-17-2004, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: turbo my d16z6 (delsolb18c1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by delsolb18c1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was thinking about turbo ing my d16z6..and doing pnp head...is that good??for the turbo or not pnp head??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not understanding your exact question. If you're asking for an opinion then I will give mine. No, boosting any Honda engine isn't a good idea.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:45 AM

Default Re: turbo my d16z6 (Hybrid93Eg)

I think he's asking whether or not he should Port & Polish the head if he turbo's the D16Z6.

IMO, I don't think it's all that worth it since you are already going to be forcing air into the head via a turbocharger.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo my d16z6 (_Project EJOne)

i think he should be aksing this question in the forced induction forum. but what the hell do i know?
Old 10-17-2004, 07:33 AM

Default Re: turbo my d16z6 (Built B16A)

I think it dosnt matter where he ask. like the other guy said...a pnp wouldn't help you that much for the money you would spend on getting it done. if you want that extra...ump.....push the boost a psi or 2.

And, ya...boost it.....just do it smart. right fuel management, and get it tuned.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:00 AM

Default Re: turbo my d16z6 (murmur9)

no just boost. build up the bottom, and get intercooler. if you dont keep booost low
Old 10-17-2004, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo my d16z6 (honda lover)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by honda lover &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no just boost. build up the bottom, and get intercooler. if you dont keep booost low</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tuning is more important than ANY of those. A good tune on 10 psi with stock rods will be reliable and fast, but not cheap. Stock rods will take up to 220 hp, just tune it good.

Remember you can only pick two from the list, and the left out one is against you:
1) Reliable
2) Cheap
3) Fast
Old 10-17-2004, 09:12 AM

Default Re: turbo my d16z6 (spyderracing32)

so you advocate 10psi w/out intercooler and stock rods, as long as the car is in a good state of tune?
Old 10-17-2004, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: turbo my d16z6 (honda lover)

PNP on forced induction makes hell of a lot more difference than it does on NA. Get a 3 angle valve job too.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: turbo my d16z6 (shaundrake)

as someone said before, just turn up the boost another psi over spending hundreds on a p &p. if you are worried about your head not flowing enough air, go get a zex 59300 or a crower turbo cam. those should make up for it and still be substantially less then a p&p. i would not go near 10psi non intercooled on a stock bottom end. shoot to get around 8 psi intercooled and tuned. that should be the ticket to a fairly reliable z6. just remember that its cylinder pressure and hp #'s that really **** **** up, so if u do get a cam, then you might have to run less psi to remain in the safety window of the z6 bottom end- around 200 whp.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo my d16z6 (shaundrake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shaundrake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">PNP on forced induction makes hell of a lot more difference than it does on NA. Get a 3 angle valve job too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So wait... you recommend getting a stock valve job?!? NO WAY!

Sarcasm incase you didn't detect it. The seat and valves are already ground at 3 angles stock. So "getting a 3 angle valve job" is nothing special.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So wait... you recommend getting a stock valve job?!? NO WAY!

Sarcasm incase you didn't detect it. The seat and valves are already ground at 3 angles stock. So "getting a 3 angle valve job" is nothing special.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well, im gonna kinda disagree with you here. if your valves are not seating properly, a fresh cut 3 angle will help your combustion chamber seal better and therefore allow less air out through the valvestems effectively gaining back horsepower. now granted this is only if your valve seats are pitted, or something else making them not seal. if rebuilding a head, its is not a bad idea to get it done.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not understanding your exact question. If you're asking for an opinion then I will give mine. No, boosting any Honda engine isn't a good idea.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You want to explain that theory, I have had mine boosted for close to a year and its been awesome since day one, if anything I think the worst part is the SOHC trans. Just get a greddy kit with the emanage I could even sell you a sidemount that replaces the one pipe in the kit if your worried about an intercooler. I can run 9psi with no detonation with just the emanage and that sidemount it is set really rich out of the box. You will be very happy i ran a 14.5 in a heavy *** ex coupe and im not to light either.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo my d16z6 (delsolb18c1)

turbod16.com
Old 10-17-2004, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo my d16z6 (95excoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95excoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You want to explain that theory, I have had mine boosted for close to a year and its been awesome since day one, if anything I think the worst part is the SOHC trans. Just get a greddy kit with the emanage I could even sell you a sidemount that replaces the one pipe in the kit if your worried about an intercooler. I can run 9psi with no detonation with just the emanage and that sidemount it is set really rich out of the box. You will be very happy i ran a 14.5 in a heavy *** ex coupe and im not to light either.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I never claimed it to be a "theroy", just my opinion. I have seen far too many build ups gone bad. Too many melted pistons, holes in pistons, cracked sleeves and broken ring lands. The one thing I can say is a fact is that these engines were never designed to see the types of abuse brought forth by forced induction.

What year is your "heavy *** ex coupe"? The 93-95 coupes were a measley 200lbs heavier then the hatches. Not exactly that much heavier. Also, what kind of trap speed is behind that 14.5? Traps tell more then times to me.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by honda lover &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no just boost. build up the bottom, and get intercooler. if you dont keep booost low</TD></TR></TABLE>

Everyone always talks about building the bottom end, but no one ever goes into detail. How do you build the bottom end?
Old 10-18-2004, 04:39 AM

I never claimed it to be a "theroy", just my opinion. I have seen far too many build ups gone bad. Too many melted pistons, holes in pistons, cracked sleeves and broken ring lands. The one thing I can say is a fact is that these engines were never designed to see the types of abuse brought forth by forced induction.

What year is your "heavy *** ex coupe"? The 93-95 coupes were a measley 200lbs heavier then the hatches. Not exactly that much heavier. Also, what kind of trap speed is behind that 14.5? Traps tell more then times to me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have seen it happen too, but it was from people turning the boost up too high or just cheaping on things. I have an ex and its liek 2640 with me in it thats not to light for a honda, the trap was 95mph and my 60' was crap and with some drag radials i could hit low 14's probably.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo my d16z6 (95excoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95excoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have seen it happen too, but it was from people turning the boost up too high or just cheaping on things. I have an ex and its liek 2640 with me in it thats not to light for a honda, the trap was 95mph and my 60' was crap and with some drag radials i could hit low 14's probably.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My hatch weighs in at 2,200 without me. So about 2,400 with me in it. Not that much lighter then your coupe. Not to be a ***** or anything, but the 95mph trap is another reason why I would not boost a single slammer. Just not really worth it in my opinion. Takes a lot of money to boost something "correctly", so if I were to do it (again), I would want some high hp numbers in the end. Right now, my all motor setup traps at 100.6mph and thats using all Honda parts except for the shitty cams and cam gears (which are set to 0 anyways) and no tunning. That run was with a 2.5 60 on street tires as well, just like your times. To me, all motor setups are far more reliable and certainly a lot more rewarding. Just a good deal more expensive then a cheap turbo setup.