Notices

Turbo Manifold

Old 11-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Turbo Manifold

Of all the manifolds available today its making it hard to choose which is best for my app.

I am looking to make close to 500whp on pump gas.

Which turbo manifold would you guys say is the best budget manifold for my 84.5 darton sleeved ls/vtec using a gt30r?

If you need any other info to help me decide feel free to ask.. btw i am new to the boosted hondas.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:23 AM
tnk
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Manifold

go-autoworks-store.com
Old 11-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

inlinepro t4
Old 11-15-2010, 12:33 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

For what you're asking for, ANY of the major manifold companies will work for the power you're looking for. The differences are really more of Budget, what accessories you plan to keep (P/S, AC) size of turbo (including turbine housing style), chassis, radiator used, and if you're looking more for top end power or something with a little more midrange. (though 500whp, that's going to be drag racing only, anyway). so once you've answered those questions yourself, THEN you can narrow down what will work best FOR YOU.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: Turbo Manifold

Thanks for the replies!

Like I said this is on a budget..

Are any of you guys using or have used a cheap OBX Top Mount Manifold?? I'm considering buying one..

I have read through many different threads about them and it seems like everyone bashed the idea of using one or they said they were junk manifolds. The funny thing is they didnt have any real experience with them.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS/V-T
Thanks for the replies!

Are any of you guys using or have used a cheap OBX Top Mount Manifold?? I'm considering buying one..

I have read through many different threads about them and it seems like everyone bashed the idea of using one or they said they were junk manifolds. The funny thing is they didnt have any real experience with them.
I have recently. On my little project car. I figured, what the hell, since it was given to me for free. And I will make sure I never make that mistake again.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:55 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Thanks for the replies!

Caveat Emptor If you want 500whp on pump, can't have it last "on the cheap"

This will help
https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/why-top-mount-2152865/

Last edited by TheShodan; 11-16-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go-autoworks.com will take care of you and give you a great price. greg is a great guy who helped me out MANY times in the past.

ill plug him anywhere i can. not many companies make you feel like you are a friend as well as a customer.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I like my InlinePro t3 SS mani. Used it from day one and has been nothing but rock solid reliable. Never needed a reweld, lol. Made decent power on it also.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97hb
I like my InlinePro t3 SS mani. Used it from day one and has been nothing but rock solid reliable. Never needed a reweld, lol. Made decent power on it also.
Arguably THEE best cast T3 log manifold out there. Optimum wastegate placement, and able to accomodate 5 bolt turbine housings without a problem.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I looove topmounts for 500+whp builds. Rams or mini-rams are nice as well.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There's nothing cheap about my engine build or electronics.. Family is the reason going cheap on the manifold and I'd rather spend more $ on the turbo than the manifold it's self.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

neukin QP
Old 11-16-2010, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the replies!

obx topmount mani is only good If u have a friend that can retig it!
i have one on my racecar its been retig and holding lol...........
Old 11-16-2010, 10:03 PM

I can't speak for anyone else, but we have had great success with Full-Race manifolds. They have dropped their prices a little bit and you will only have to buy it once. The performance, response, and efficiency you get for the power you want to obtain will be great for the money. It's in my opinion worth it to only have to do it once. If there's nothing cheap in your build, don't hurt yourself buy going with a "sub-par" manifold. Get something that people put time, research and development into. The fact that it's the most predominately copied manifold should tell you something.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Neukin FTW
Old 11-17-2010, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cant beat Full Race when it comes to building bad *** manifolds, but since you are on a budget I would recommend a Pfab piece. He is a great guy, great product, good customer service, and very reasonably priced.

He carries logs, even though thats not the way I would go for such a build. For 500+whp on a log manifold, you will need a lot of boost, big turbo, and maybe even some e85 or meth. It is proven that a good equal length tubular manifold will produce more power at any given boost level compared to a log manifold.

For example: Lets say we have a GT35R @ 10 psi. On an equal length/ramhorm etc it will make 400whp, as opposed to the log manifold which will make 320whp. It is proven that a good EL manifold does outflow and is more efficient than a log manifold producing about 50-80whp over the log.

*Again, the numbers listed are hypothetically speaking*

Budget and Turbo should never be used in the same sentence...Do it right the first time and just save up for a good EL manifold like the Full Race, AFI, etc.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're never going to hear the end of the "on a budget" phrase. Although, if you're not willing to sell your first born for a manifold, get the InlinePro SS and move on with life. If you get an OBX, you risk having it fall apart which can lead to all kinds of other issues. The last thing you want is to cheap out on a crap manifold, it cracks and a piece ruins your new GT30r...all in the name of saving a few bucks.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

SLS makes some really nice and affordable manifolds...
Old 11-17-2010, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm.. Maybe I'll just slow down and save up for a good manifold. Maybe I can get a good package type deal.. Gt30r manifold and downpipe for less than each separate.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a Full-Race manifold thinking the fitment would be perfect, but the runner in front of the #1 cylinder is a pain to install the upper lock nut. The whole manifold slants forward on the #4 side so the turbine outlet points a bit towards the radiator/shroud (which makes it tight on the #1 runner)...not good when you're trying to fit a shroud and fan in the same area while trying to get the downpipe to turn into the oil pan tunnel. Maybe I just expected more.

I'm thinking about trying out a couple of other manifolds if this one doesn't seal correctly because I can't get the #1 lock nut tighten enough.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1) SLS 2) Neukin 3)Inline pro ss. I don't trust cookie cutter companies that make cheap ****....like OBX. Full-Race and AFI are both very nice and so are top mounts. But if your looking at staying at 500whp then the 3 listed will be just fine.

Look in the FI sales section there are a few of these manifolds for sale at a good price.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by racer034life
1) SLS 2) Neukin 3)Inline pro ss. I don't trust cookie cutter companies that make cheap ****....like OBX. Full-Race and AFI are both very nice and so are top mounts. But if your looking at staying at 500whp then the 3 listed will be just fine.

Look in the FI sales section there are a few of these manifolds for sale at a good price.
u guys make it seem as if a obx topmount will just fall apart...
it is not that bad for the price it just doen t look as good...
has any of u ran it?
Old 11-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NO!!!! and I never will ran anything from OBX either. You couldn't pay me to run a obx topmount let alone anything from that company. I can say I have seen one blow a weld on the dyon and it wasn't funny either.
The companies I list above will give him the support and know how for what he needs. A top-mount is over kill for his power goals. I also don't see an obx lasting as long as a SLS or even a inline pro ss. Which I run a sls prototype and I bought it used and its still in perfect working order........
Old 11-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The SLS shorty is a great manifold. Top notch quality that makes great power. Besides that one, I will have to say it again: 500whp will probably not be achieved with a log manifold. You will most likely need lots of boost (compared to a equal length manifold), e85 and lower compression.

To give you an example, my friend has a turbo s2000. Granted it is a different motor, but a more efficient motor at that. Setup goes like this:

PFAB tubular manifold DIVIDED twin scroll
GT35R .82 AR DIVIDED
and obviously, supporting mods to accommodate the turbo and manifold along with the proper tuning.

He pushed 530whp on 93 oct and meth combined.
By the way the car has lowered compression to 9.0:1 and still had to run 25psi on the GT35R in order to get those numbers.

with a log, he would be lucky to hit anything over 450whp at the same amount of boost.

just comes to show you that the efficiency of a log manifold for 500whp is crap, with a crappy powerband, and more stress on the turbo and manifold for no reason.

Save up the extra 200-300 bucks and find a good new or even used equal length tubular manifold. It will be better for you and the motor in the long run, trust me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo Manifold