Notices

Turbo install from Hell!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo install from Hell!!!

Well yesterday was the big turbo install day. It went very bad. I think my car is retarded or somthing. Nothing fits the way it should.
I went form having a reliable fast greddy TD04H-15C which has been with me for three years with zero problems. Now I have a T3/T04E and the wierdest setup you'll ever see. It started out great. I had my old turbo off in about 30 mins. Then came the install, here is the problems:
1 The turbo inlet if off center so it puts the turbo very close to the block,
2 I used a revhard manifold...instead of a maxrev.
3 The ****** ******* tial waste gate hits the hood!!!!! (Very pissed at that!!)
4 Even though I have a 92-95 radiator is was still in the way!
5 Oil leaks
6 No place for a dip stick

We decied to mount the turbo compressor side to the drivers side.
This put the turbo way out from the block. It sits beside the radiator making the dp impossable with out moving it. And moving it is what we did! It's not at a 25-30 degree angle so the dp can fit between it and the intercooler. The charge pip was very easy to do and only took a few mins.
After spending hours making a dp and fitting stuff up it was done. I went to put the dip stick in but the hole between the 2-3 runners is coverd by the waste gate pipe with runs from the wastegate that is pointing at the head. I had to bend it and get under the car to put that in. And then I shutt the hoad and it didn't want to latch. Turns out the waste gate is hitting it!! I now have the hoad pins holding my hood shut. And of course I got oil leaks from everywhere possable.
Now the thing that really bugs me (as if everything else isn't enough to drive me insane) is that my car now smokes alot. It really only smokes when I am costing down a hill with the car in gear and foot off that gas. When I give it alittle gas a big clould of oil smoke comes out the back. From my past experiances that means it's my oil rings. Compresson is 180 all the way across. I guess there is no chance it's my turbo leaking oil is it?

Moral of the story......I should have going with a maxrev kit....the money I saved wasn't worth it!!
Old 12-31-2001, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo install from Hell!!! (89civic1.8T)

Oh ya I have an 89 civic, HAsport kit, B18B
Old 12-31-2001, 12:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Talk to GruvyTune, his turbo seals blew. He can tell you the symptoms of that.
Old 12-31-2001, 12:13 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, i had to take my entire system apart cause of a new turbo gone bad. I cried thinking it was my engine but I still had plenty of power just black smoke out the exhaust.

Turned out it was my turbo piston ring and shaft that wore away due to imbalance (according to Turbonetics who fixed it under warranty).

There was no oil in my intake and my compression was equal across all pistons.

Finally I actually started to see the oil coming out the flanges on my downpipe.

After the rebuild, all is good. Just a ton of time and torn skin doing the install/uninstall/reinstall all in a month's time.

torin
Old 12-31-2001, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo install from Hell!!! (GruvyTune)

I can also say that the car feels slower then the other setup. I haven't pushed it hard but I have diped the throttle a few times and it seams kinda slugish. I think I should just buy a factory turbo car and have fun with that.
Old 12-31-2001, 07:14 PM

the td04 is pretty small, the t03/4e just feels sluggish because it needs more rpms to spool up compared to the td04...