Notices

turbo install in a few weeks....am I forgetting anything?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo install in a few weeks....am I forgetting anything?

So it's taken me about 2 years to purchase and piece the parts for my daily driven turbo b18b '99 teg. And first of all I wanted to say thanks to everyone on honda-tech for their help and technical knowledge. Now, before I embark on my turbo installation, i wanted to run things by you all and make sure 1) I'm not forgetting anything 2) there isn't any flaws in my kit 3) what kind of power/times can I hope for.

So here's my setup:

Stock B18B in a '99 ls
OBDI conversion w/ Uberdata
Zeitronix wideband o2 sensor/EGT and gauges
1G DSM 450 cc injectors (used, I need to get them cleaned and balanced before install)
resistor box off '94 accord
Blox manifold
90 degree wastgate elbow
Tial wastgate 40mm, (is stock spring 10 psi?)
T3 super 60 60 trim/.63 a/r
2.5" ss ic piping (4 180 degree U bends to make custom piping)
jrc 6" fm intercooler
1G DSM blow off value
braided ss -3an oil feed piping connected to firewall
braided ss -10an oil return piping
2.5" exhaust pipe to 2.5" e-cutout (cutout open during racing and closed during daily driving)
flex pipe
high flow cat
stock exhaust
walbro 255 fuel pump
oil pressure gauge
boost gauge
wideband air/fuel gauge
egt gauge

So that's what I've got, I might be forgetting some things from the list, but I hope that's all I need.

Please note the misc parts/tools that I'll need to complete the installation too.

Thank you all very much and I can't wait to dive into this project!

Modified by asianspeed at 9:23 PM 2/2/2006
Old 02-02-2006, 09:01 PM

Default Re: turbo install in a few weeks....am I forgetting anything? (asianspeed)

Vacuum line?
Old 02-02-2006, 10:17 PM

Default Re: turbo install in a few weeks....am I forgetting anything? (Kowalski)

yup, I forgot to list that. I've got vacuum lines. thanks
Old 02-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: turbo install in a few weeks....am I forgetting anything? (asianspeed)

u forgot about the turbo manifold but im sure you got that

seem to be complete

u will need to open up the wastegate to see what spring is inside and whatever color is the spring is whatever psi is the spring is rated for
Old 02-02-2006, 11:02 PM

Default Re: turbo install in a few weeks....am I forgetting anything? (komat)

I listed the turbo manifold, it's a blox.

Yeah, I bought the wastegate a while ago, so I've forgotten what tension it is. I think it's got a red spring in it though. All I know is that it wasn't high enough that I needed to get a 3 bar map sensor.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:25 PM

Stock MAP is good until >11 PSI, so you should be fine on a stock block.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:37 PM

Default Re: turbo install in a few weeks....am I forgetting anything? (Kowalski)

setup seems good to me.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: turbo install in a few weeks....am I forgetting anything? (tallyturbo)

r u welding this up?
Old 02-03-2006, 02:50 PM

Default Re: turbo install in a few weeks....am I forgetting anything? (abnaasefmb)

I think I know where you're going with the question. Yes, I do plan on welding everything up. If not, then I'd need clamps and coupings.

I do have 2 2.5"silicone couplers for both ends up the intercooler. I also have a 2" to 2.5" coupler for the compressor to the piping. And a 2.5" coupler from the piping to the trottle body. And 2 t-bolt clamps per coupler as well.

Should I not weld certain places along the intercooler piping to allow for flex in the pipes?

Oh, I also have 1 O2 sensor bung for the wideband O2 sensor. Should I add another one for the stock sensor?

Oh, I know what I think I might be foregetting...the flange for my exhuast to bolt to the catback exhaust system, it's a stock exhaust. Anyone know where I can get one of those?
Old 02-03-2006, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an innovate motorsports wideband 02 sensor and I have one 02 bung in the downpipe and one in the test pipe (stock secondary 02), it depends on your wideband, but if yours (like most) can "imitate" a narrowband output for the ecu, then you only need the one bung.

**EDIT** As far as your exhaust goes, idk, on my civic its a 3-bolt flange which I purchased from http://www.atpturbo.com and had it welded it to my test pipe (obviousily side that connects to the exhaust)
Old 02-03-2006, 03:37 PM

Default Re: turbo install in a few weeks....am I forgetting anything? (biada3.1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by biada3.1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">asianspeed - can you tell me the length of ur oil return line? i need to know for my setup, its missing the oil return line.

thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

The length of your oil return can very from app to app, sometimes you need to avoid the charge pipes, sometimes you don't. But my return line is about 12 inches.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:40 PM

oh, I also need an air filter and a pipe to connect to the turbo and couplings. I think I'll go with the apexi filter w/ a 3" pipe. How's that sound?
Old 02-03-2006, 04:05 PM

Default Re: turbo install in a few weeks....am I forgetting anything? (biada3.1)

I'm hoping my 12" will do.

Also, what gaskets should I be needing? I don't have any except for oil return line gaskets & wastegate gaskets.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:13 PM

http://www.atpturbo.com/Mercha...e=GSK

go to that site. scroll down and u'll see what gaskets you will need. if it looks or sounds like u need it, then u need it. haha.

Old 02-03-2006, 04:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by biada3.1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.atpturbo.com/Mercha...e=GSK

go to that site. scroll down and u'll see what gaskets you will need. if it looks or sounds like u need it, then u need it. haha.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do I really need gaskets between the:

block and the manifold?
manifold and turbo?
manifold and wastegate?
turbo exhaust and downpipe?
downpipe and cat?
Old 02-03-2006, 04:38 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by asianspeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Do I really need gaskets between the:

block and the manifold? - used my stock one
manifold and turbo? - i bought one
manifold and wastegate? - i bought one
turbo exhaust and downpipe? - i got one for that
downpipe and cat? - got that one too.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't know if u really need it, but im guessing its there for a reason. Anyone one with expereince in this wanna shed some light?

thanks
Old 02-03-2006, 04:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by biada3.1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Don't know if u really need it, but im guessing its there for a reason. Anyone one with expereince in this wanna shed some light?

thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I would think that eventually the exhaust residue would fill any leaks. I think I'll need a new oil pan gasket though.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:11 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by asianspeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, I would think that eventually the exhaust residue would fill any leaks. I think I'll need a new oil pan gasket though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You will. Also definately get a new exhaust manifold gasket
Old 02-06-2006, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn i didn't even see your in hawaii. i was just going to say run a few practice weld before you get started. just helps you warm up, and get your head in the game. good luck keep us posted.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:29 PM

Default Re: turbo install in a few weeks....am I forgetting anything? (abnaasefmb)

Yup, I'm on the Big Island! I'm going to spot weld everything, then take it to a pro. Thanks for the tip though.

There's actually a lot of things that I'm missing that people didn't pick up on. I think I'll just do a complete how to write up after I'm done. I still needed new spark plugs too.

Hopefully someone else won't have to go through all of this and they can just use my list as a check off.

Wish me luck, I've got 2 more orders for random parts (clamps, gaskets, piping, etc) and I'll be able to start the install.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check out my sig. i didn't feel like writting it all up so its kinda a photopictorial (sp)
who is tuning your **** and what r u using?
Old 02-06-2006, 06:12 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by abnaasefmb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check out my sig. i didn't feel like writting it all up so its kinda a photopictorial (sp)
who is tuning your **** and what r u using?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm going to street tune and then take it to a dyno. From what I've heard there is only one dyno place in town and I'm not even sure what their tuning rep is. Then there is only one other dyno on the other side of the island, 100 miles away. So there isn't much to work with.

I'm using a zeitronix wideband and an OBDI with uberdata to tune.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i've been pretty happy with the crome pro. great datalogging i've been able to tune it to 5psi low boost and 9psi high boost with a wideband and reading the plugs. maybe i'll go to the track this weekend and see if i can get some times. i figure i'm about 240hp running the injectors to 89% on hight boost. i walked a 350z the other day like it was a mini-van.