Notices

turbo help/400whp goal

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 01:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo help/400whp goal

i haven't really post any tech. subjects on this forum because i didn't have any money to fund my project. now that i do have money. i looking to boost. i have an 03 si. the goal i want to ahcieve is at least 400 whp on 91 oct or at least close to it. tonight a few hrs. ago my friend finally let me drive his srt and that thing is fast, hate to admit it that its american car but its fast. now that i see how fast it is, i want to be going faster than him. (we alwasy have battles between each other when he had a camaro.)

engine- i'm thinking of going with rsx-s k20a, i'll prob. be getting used. i've done research they run around 2300-3500 for just engine and trans. correct me if i'm wrong.

fuel- which fuel system is availble for k engines.

ems- which systems are avaible for tuning w\turbo.

internals- the only thing i see upgrading is the pistons(don't know which kind to get) crower rods(still don't know which one).maybe headgasket for extra rise in comp.

if u guys can help me on what i need to do to the engine to have it safe and reliable and fast than it would really help out. What else do i need to do to the engine to run this much boost. any info is welcome to help me build this car correctly.thanks.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:05 AM

Default Re: turbo help/400whp goal (HKSuperSi)

just boost the B16 you have, don't waste all your money with a damn K-Series swap. You just need to build the **** out of your bottom end, and make it capable of handling high booooooooooooooooooooooost.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:38 AM

Default Re: turbo help/400whp goal (Da K00l Aid Mayun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Da K00l Aid Mayun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just boost the B16 you have, don't waste all your money with a damn K-Series swap. You just need to build the **** out of your bottom end, and make it capable of handling high booooooooooooooooooooooost. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Dude said he has an 03 Si, so he's already got a K series (the K20A3)

Now to the original poster who wants 400whp... yeah, a K20A2 (not an A, that's the JDM ITR motor) is a great starting point for high horsepower, but it sounds like you need to do some research before delving into this project. You want a headgasket that will lower compression, not raise it.

Forget about trying to outrun an SRT-4, unless it really means so much to you that you want to spend all that money, though. You realize he can just go through Mopar to get boost upgrades, still smoke you, AND keep his warranty, right?

Anyhow, befoe doing the swap, why not boost the A3 you've already got? They already have a much lower compression ratio vs the A2 (9.8:1 vs 11:0:1), and good 5 speed gearing for boost. A lot of people are successfully hitting 300whp on stock internals, and running reliably. Mind you, once you decide that you want more power, and are prepared to do internal work, then it's time to get the A2, because this is where the A3, with it's inferior head, and weaker crankshaft and rods, runs out of gas.

You're right, though.... 400whp in an A2 can be had with just pistons and rods being done. Anyhow, as for EMS, the best possible choice is K-Pro.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo help/400whp goal (SiR Phil)

i'm just gonna sell the a3 engine. i know that when i boost the a3 i will be bored of it after awhile. so i just want to get the a2 instead and boost that. the 5speed on the ep is horrible, i'll be going 80mph and the and the rpm tach will be at 4k. its really weird. so it really is possible to run that much boost to get 400whp with just pistons and rods for the internals. is that really possible.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:38 PM

Considering boosted hybrid tuned a stock sleeve K20 with pistons/rods to 550 WHP, i'm going to say yeah.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Re: turbo help/400whp goal (Napoleon Dynamite)

Yeah man just get some rods/pistons and tuning... then you should be good to go. Oh and SRT4's arent that fast... they are pretty quick though. Personally I hate the way they drive, there just isn't a big enough kick in the pants for me. I like laggy big turbos and a lot of top end power.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo help/400whp goal (beerbongskickass)

haha yea i like big laggy turbos too. are there any members that just tuned their engines with just pistons and rods and at least 400whp and still be reliable and how long they been running that setting.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo help/400whp goal (beerbongskickass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah man just get some rods/pistons and tuning... then you should be good to go. Oh and SRT4's arent that fast... they are pretty quick though. Personally I hate the way they drive, there just isn't a big enough kick in the pants for me. I like laggy big turbos and a lot of top end power.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i completely agree. my friends stock b16 @ 10 psi ***** on modded srt's. boost the stock motor.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:25 PM

LOL, well don't I look like a retard
Old 05-14-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: turbo help/400whp goal (erebunicrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by erebunicrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i completely agree. my friends stock b16 @ 10 psi ***** on modded srt's. boost the stock motor. </TD></TR></TABLE>
No offense but I seriously doubt this. Those cars are underrated from the factory (those crank numbers are more like wheel numbers!), and the factory upgrades are just ruthless! Regardless of how much hp your friend's b16 @ 10psi puts put, there is NO WAY in hell it even matches a STOCK SRT-4's torque level. Again, I'm not trying to be an ***... I just can't see it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Da K00l Aid Mayun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LOL, well don't I look like a retard </TD></TR></TABLE>
LOL... fuggedaboutit. You saw "Si" and immediately thought "B16". I'm sure you aren't the only one. Bs have been around for how long? The era of the K is just beginning, and oh.... is it gonna be fun!
Old 05-14-2005, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiR Phil &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
No offense but I seriously doubt this. Those cars are underrated from the factory (those crank numbers are more like wheel numbers!), and the factory upgrades are just ruthless! Regardless of how much hp your friend's b16 @ 10psi puts put, there is NO WAY in hell it even matches a STOCK SRT-4's torque level. Again, I'm not trying to be an ***... I just can't see it.

LOL... fuggedaboutit. You saw "Si" and immediately thought "B16". I'm sure you aren't the only one. Bs have been around for how long? The era of the K is just beginning, and oh.... is it gonna be fun! </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you want togo by PSI I have friend's/customer's making at/over 400whp @ 11lbs I agree though. Must have been close to stock SRT-4's because there are SRT-4's here giving lightly modded Z06's a run for their money.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo help/400whp goal (0x64)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 0x64 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you want togo by PSI I have friend's/customer's making at/over 400whp @ 11lbs I agree though. Must have been close to stock SRT-4's because there are SRT-4's here giving lightly modded Z06's a run for their money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this was a 03 srt. the mods are, 3in turbo back(no cats or mufflers), wastegate, mopar stg1, 2 stage boost controller, water inj, hard pipe kit. it spikes 19 holds around 15psi.

they raced from a 35 roll and the civic was at 7 psi with a stock b16, hacked exhaust dump and aebs inake manifold they were dead even. now with the boost @ 10 psi he would pull harder but the stock clutch is slipping bad into 3rd now.

video's will be up pretty soon of them. also the kid with the srt is selling the car now so if your interested lmk.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm not looking to buy a srt, but thanks anyway. i just need help on the engine and what to do, i don't just want to beat my friend i also want high hp, reliability, and also to beat people around my town.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HKSuperSi)

You dont want an SRT-4? You are crazy Didnt mean to come off like I was trying to sell you one.

Talk to jsimon9633 and Boosted Hybrid on here. They both have very nice setups and builds.

Where did you find K20a's for that price?

If you are going to build the bottom end buy some 880cc fuel injectors. If not just get 580cc fuel injectors. A Walbro 255 with a direct power source will be more than enough for what you want todo.

I dont know how much you want to spend on fuel management but you have two options right now. KPro and AEM's EMS. Yes AEM just released an EMS for the K20a.

I like and use CP pistons. If the cylinder walls on your block have never been touched buy CP part number SC7040.

I think that about covers everything you asked
Old 05-15-2005, 09:51 AM

You probably looking at around $8K+ for a K20A2 swap + internals + turbo setup capable of 400 WHP. Chew on that for a while.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i kind of in a way got sponsored by a local shop. and they'er giving me prices that are almost whole sale. so i could get stuff for cheap. i think erebunicrx was asking me if i would like a srt.

Modified by HKSuperSi at 7:50 PM 5/15/2005