Notices

B16b turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16b turbo build

Hey guys,

I finally gathered enough cash to turbo my b16b. I don't want to hear that I shouldn't boost a b16b or that I should go buy a b18 instead. I love my b16b and I'm not selling it! I don't want to hear it!

I'm looking to reach about 275-300 whp+. I was wanting to run low boost (somewhere around 6-7lbs). I want to make the car a good street car/road course car.

I'm new into the forced induction world and I was hoping some of you guys could help me out! I have a budget of about 4000.

I've been looking at a few different brands of mini ram manifolds, and a gt2871 turbo and tuning on hondata s300. I'm still doing my research on the rest, but is the gt2871 a good choice? I want a quick response and for the car to still be very street able.

Is that a good route so far? Any help would be great!
Old 10-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16b turbo build

I'm sure someone will want to know what fuel your going to run?
Old 10-06-2013, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would like to run my car on e85
Old 10-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've always wanted to see a boosted b16b build, revving to 11k.

Have you ruled out superchargers?

I think kraftwerks has an interesting setup about to be released for bseries...

Sub'd!
Old 10-06-2013, 07:16 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Originally Posted by greenman94
I would like to run my car on e85
for your goals you should stick with 93 octane, there is no need for e85. i hit 460whp on 93 octane. also, do not, repeat, do not use lbs, psi and bar for measurement of hp.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by justYncredible
for your goals you should stick with 93 octane, there is no need for e85. i hit 460whp on 93 octane. also, do not, repeat, do not use lbs, psi and bar for measurement of hp.
Well, if he wanted to stay at 7-8 PSI and 300 whp, that would give you an idea of what size turbo he wants to run. The GT2871 is a smaller turbo though, isn't it? You'd have to run more PSI than what he wanted.

OP, I put together my kit for $2,000. That includes a traction bar and a couple other things, like a new cluster, that aren't really part of the 'turbo kit.' But $4,000 should get you a ton of goodies. Check the market place here if you aren't in a rush, and eBay is pretty good for finding deals.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there a different turbo I should be looking at? After doing a little research, it sounded like the gt2871 was the way to go, apparently not?

Any help would be great guys.

And where I am from, it isn't very common to come across 93 octane.

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2013, 05:24 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Hey guys,

I finally gathered enough cash to turbo my b16b. I don't want to hear that I shouldn't boost a b16b or that I should go buy a b18 instead. I love my b16b and I'm not selling it! I don't want to hear it!

I'm looking to reach about 275-300 whp+. I was wanting to run low boost (somewhere around 6-7lbs). I want to make the car a good street car/road course car.

I'm new into the forced induction world and I was hoping some of you guys could help me out! I have a budget of about 4000.

I've been looking at a few different brands of mini ram manifolds, and a gt2871 turbo and tuning on hondata s300. I'm still doing my research on the rest, but is the gt2871 a good choice? I want a quick response and for the car to still be very street able.

Is that a good route so far? Any help would be great!
mmm. Getting close. There's no point in running a mini-ram manifold using a T25 turbine housing -based turbo. Time to go to T3 at least for that. Even if doing 300whp.

What's your location please?
Old 10-07-2013, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there's a guy selling a nice log manifold set up . it's new and would be perfect for a street car.
in the force induction market place
Old 10-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am located in northern Minnesota. So, if i go with that garrett turbo and a ram horn manifold, that would be good?

Thanks for the help so far guys! I appreciate it.

Is there a different turbo anyone recommends?
Old 10-07-2013, 11:39 AM

I am located in northern Minnesota. So, if i go with that garrett turbo and a ram horn manifold, that would be good?

Thanks for the help so far guys! I appreciate it.

Is there a different turbo anyone recommends?
What's your budget? (Maximum willingness to spend on the turbocharger alone)
Give a Number range, if not an exact amount. (none of that "enough not the break the bank" nonsense).

What's the purpose of the car? Street/strip? street warrior, etc?
For that type of power level, a "RAMHORN" is really overkill for the sizes you're talking about. keep it simple and smaller. (Tubular log, or mini-"ram" at the largest.. ) And for goodness sake, no topmount manifolds.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was willing to spend a maximum of 1000 on my turbo. It will be a street car and occasionally the road course. I'm not looking for a 10 second drag car here, just something streetable.

Is there a turbo out there that will give me fast response yet low boost and reliability?
Old 10-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
What's your budget? (Maximum willingness to spend on the turbocharger alone)
Give a Number range, if not an exact amount. (none of that "enough not the break the bank" nonsense).

What's the purpose of the car? Street/strip? street warrior, etc?
For that type of power level, a "RAMHORN" is really overkill for the sizes you're talking about. keep it simple and smaller. (Tubular log, or mini-"ram" at the largest.. ) And for goodness sake, no topmount manifolds.
This man will tell you everything you will ever want to know and break your dreams at the same time. Take his word next to gospel as far as this forum is concerned.

I was willing to spend a maximum of 1000 on my turbo. It will be a street car and occasionally the road course. I'm not looking for a 10 second drag car here, just something streetable.

Is there a turbo out there that will give me fast response yet low boost and reliability?
$1,000 on a turbo charger alone is more than enough.

This can probably be better explained, but I will give it a shot. Fast response and low boost are not the same thing. You can take a huge turbo and slap it on your Honda and run 4 PSI. It will make 300 HP, but it will be awful and laggy. You can take a GT28 and run 16 PSI and make 300 HP and it will spool and be at full boost before VTEC kicks in yo. PSI has nothing to do with reliability. Nothing. Many stock turbo cars run over 10 PSI. The whole 10 PSI as a limit for stock internals is garbage. Throw it out the window. It's all about the torque you generate. That is what drives your motor. Pieces start to break after a certain torque is applied to them. Horse power is derived from torque, but is more well known. More so in the Honda world since we really can't brag about our torque numbers. Therefore, max horse power is often what people actually use to determine a build.

For your set up, The Shodan can definitely hook you up with a great recommendation. Probably the same one, or similar, that he recommended for me.

Fast response, easy to obtain. Low boost, easy to obtain. Reliability is easy to obtain. It just takes a pocket book big enough to get it done.

I think I will be running about 12 PSI through my turbo to hit 300 whp. I consider that low. Anything over 20~ is getting high to me. At least in our world.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks a lot for the info.

This is starting to actually make a little bit of sense!

I'm not sure if this is a dumb question or not then, but is it possible for me to reach 300 whp and still be safe and reliable with my stock b16b? If so, what's a good turbo for me?

Sorry for the dumb questions! I guess I'm a little more of a noob than I thought when it comes to forced induction.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:24 PM

Thanks a lot for the info.

This is starting to actually make a little bit of sense!

I'm not sure if this is a dumb question or not then, but is it possible for me to reach 300 whp and still be safe and reliable with my stock b16b? If so, what's a good turbo for me?

Sorry for the dumb questions! I guess I'm a little more of a noob than I thought when it comes to forced induction.
Yep. Its possible, but be prepared to open the wallet a little more than what you're wanting to , in order to obtain the reliability, "responsiveness" , and usability. For $1000 you're barely touching GT-R ball-bearing territory, so I recommend staying journal bearing and using other safety equipment for the use (and abuse) you plan to give it. And yes... stay Garrett.

I just helped someone in Barbados with the same engine just recently with one of my recommendations for street responsiveness, he's happy as a clam. (since he's on winding roads and shorter distances)

And the cool part for you is... No need to change camshafts... AT ALL.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:30 PM
RESIDENT

^^I just offered OP a bnib Garret t3/t04e 60trim, bnib Garret Intercooler w/piping and Garret Bov.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If i had to cough up some more cash for a decent turbo, i could by maybe a couple hundred dollars if that helps.

Thanks again for all the help, i appreciate it. Where i live the roads are also very curvy, im looking something that will perform perfectly on them!
Old 10-07-2013, 06:44 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
mmm. Getting close. There's no point in running a mini-ram manifold using a T25 turbine housing -based turbo. Time to go to T3 at least for that. Even if doing 300whp.

What's your location please?
hey now, I'm gong to rock out my gt2871r until it's tapped :p
but I don't care much about top end since the track I'll be running on is mostly 2nd-3rd gear

but it will take more than 6-7psi to make 300whp. boost pressure isn't important, pick a power goal and run whatever psi it takes to make it
Old 10-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, so im still not sure on what would be a good turbo for my application. I decided i want a Garrett turbo. But which one?

If it helps I also decided on a Log manifold, there are a few brands i hace looked at.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump
Old 10-10-2013, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, so im still not sure on what would be a good turbo for my application. I decided i want a Garrett turbo. But which one?

If it helps I also decided on a Log manifold, there are a few brands i hace looked at.
I am using a... uh, forgot the name, but a log manifold myself. Pretty good for your regular everyday set up. As far as a turbo goes, there are a ton of choices. I went with a T3 flange in the end. It just opens up all sorts of doors for turbo choices. As far as specific turbos go, just shop around. Look on sites for the compression maps. Check builds. Get a turbo that will support more than 300 HP since that is what you are aiming for. You don't want to max your turbo out. But don't go too big or it will just have a good 'max' HP number but no real power.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditch the 6-7psi idea...its irrelevant and limits your choices for turbochargers. For your power goals, find something small (GT28 , T3/T04e 50 trim, etc) and let it breathe a little....