Notices

Turbo GSR setup in 92 VX, Help....

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turbo GSR setup in 92 VX, Help....

I have a 92 VX with UDSM 99 B18C1 swap using a 95 OBDI P72 ECU. I'm planning to get a "out of the box" ready kit: I was trying to decide between the Drag III and Revhard 2 but I'm pretty sure that I'll be going with the Drag III.
Anyway, the motor is internally stock and I've been running it in my car for about 2 years and it now has just over 25,000 miles on it. I don't want to tear the motor down and replace the pistons, install a block guard, etc. I'm concerned about engine life and over reliability and what not, which most of you boosted guys get sick of hearing about. I plan to install the kit and run the stock boost (6-7psi) and follow any and all instructions and not be a boost hungry jackass.
I'm not close to any tuning places, nearest ones are at least 100 miles + away and I'm not even sure if they are even good. So I basically am stuck tuning by an A/F gauge which I know is pretty useless. I understand that the FMU does it's job to get you up and running and I really can't afford a standalone or Hondata at this time. Since I don't plan to boost anymore that what the kit is intended for, I am hoping that the FMU will work for me. I would appreciate any and all feedback toward the kit selection and any potential problems that I might encounter.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:55 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I reccomend you buy bigger fuel injectors, maybe 310's + FMU, or 440's + VAFC.

An upgraded ignition would help you alot, you want to be certain you are getting a good burn. With that ignition, some timing control would help as well, either BTM or Vari Curve.

Pull out some base timing.
Lower your heat range on your plugs.

And watch your #4 cylinder, notorious for cracked ring lands!

**** YEAH!
My 420th post!
Old 07-13-2003, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (psi420)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by psi420 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I reccomend you buy bigger fuel injectors, maybe 310's + FMU, or 440's + VAFC.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That was one area that concerned me since the kit was designed to work with stock injectors. I have a VAFC already so I could get a set of 440's but with the 6-7 psi wouldn't that be a little overkill?
Old 07-13-2003, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Turbo GSR setup in 92 VX, Help.... (VTECVillain)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECVillain &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I understand that the FMU does it's job to get you up and running and I really can't afford a standalone or Hondata at this time. Since I don't plan to boost anymore that what the kit is intended for, I am hoping that the FMU will work for me. I would appreciate any and all feedback toward the kit selection and any potential problems that I might encounter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The FMU supplied with the kit should be alright, but can't you save for a few more months, and get a Hondata or some other type of engine management, and do it right the first time? I waited a long time to go boosting, so I could buy the right parts, and I'm glad I did, cause my setup is fun - and so far I've had no problems, and I drive it daily.....
Old 07-13-2003, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo GSR setup in 92 VX, Help.... (TommyV)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TommyV &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The FMU supplied with the kit should be alright, but can't you save for a few more months, and get a Hondata or some other type of engine management, and do it right the first time? I waited a long time to go boosting, so I could buy the right parts, and I'm glad I did, cause my setup is fun - and so far I've had no problems, and I drive it daily.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well it's really not that I can't afford to get Hondata, I just don't understand why the kits come with the FMU but then everyone ditches them for a standalone. I understand that they are better than an FMU, but when I plan to run ONLY low boost why would the FMU and possibly some slightly larger injectors not be sufficient?
I drive my car daily and race very very rarely, the turbo is just for some added fun, not to turn the car into a drag car. Later I might decide to build the motor to handle higher boost and then I would by Hondata or a standalone to manage everything.