Notices

turbo filters/screens

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: turbo filters/screens

AEM dry flow, and K&N filters come in about ten thousand different shapes and sizes, all listed on their catalogs on their websites and you can buy them as universal filters. Take some measurements, and get the largest filter you can fit in your location. Aside from running on a drag strip or track for short periods, NEVER run an open turbo as a daily. Not only will it destroy your compressor fins over time, all it takes is one stray pebble to ruin your day. This is the same with the R-tards who run with no timing belt covers, sheer luck is the only thing keeping them going.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah x2 on the timing belt cover thing. I would feel sooo uneasy about that.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you dont have room you could always get a 90 Degree silicone coupler and make some piping to locate the filter where it can fit (like the spot behind the bumper when you have a cold air filter) Why dont you include a picture so we can get a better idea of what youre talking about

I wouldnt run it without one...its not worth the gains and the risk of damaging the motor/turbo

Maybe youre friend doesnt use one, or youre buddy never has and nothing has ever happened to them bla bla...but in the end its still taking a risk, a risk i wouldnt want to be taking when youre investing alot of money into a build you most likely worked hard on getting
Old 04-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In an EK with a Ram-Horn not much will easily fit other than the spectre or the HKS mushroom. I have an AEM Dry Flow that I can shoehorn in there but I can tell you from experience will drastically reduce your power.

OP What manifold, turbo, car?
Old 04-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe with a dhitty design of a ramhorn. The 3.5" K&N should fit... Just fine
Old 04-27-2012, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll get a picture of how mine is setup. Pretty tight fit with P/S
Old 04-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This picture is from the block towards the bumper, this is how close my dump pipe is to the turbo. With the pipe I bought, this was the only way of making it work without bending it.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think I could use a 90 degree with this space I have, you can see it would be touching the pipe.

I'm thinking about bending the dump pipe, what do you guys think?
Old 04-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Youre going to have to do something, because you cannot leave it like that.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger
I don't have filters on a few of my cars... They are all screens, and they are all driven on a regular basis. I think I have been doing for the past 7-8 years. I always try to fit a filter if the opportunity is there, but somehow I keep cramming all this sh*t in my engine bay and get greedy with turbo size. None of my current setup has an air filter except for the Evo, which definitely needs one due to the MAF sensor.

It depends on where you live and what road conditions you have to drive through everyday. I go through some occasional construction areas, but I like to keep my car clean so I avoid them even if I had to take another route to work.

My old GT2871R turbo on the Integra had signs of wear on the compressor blades after about 50k miles. It was a low mounted turbo, and the car had no undertray. I'd say the condition of the compressor blade would be 4/10 when I removed it.

The day I had the motor rebuilt after 65k miles, the intake manifold had a thick film of soot, but it was also constantly being cleaned away from the water/meth. The back of the intake valves had minor roughness, but the valve seat and everything else was still fine.

On my Camry, the turbo was behind the headlight and it is a much bigger turbo. Bigger turbo can allow fine debris through without damage, and the high mounted position prevented any road debris from flying up there. The GT40R was on there for about 4 years and about 30k miles, and barely any damage on the compressor wheel. It went through winter salts too.

The Supra goes through too little mileage (only abour 5k miles a year).. No issues there.
When you say 50K miles do you mean miles on KM's? Just have to check, because I'm Canadian as well and I sometimes say miles for the benefit of the majority of readers who are American.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Spawne32
Youre going to have to do something, because you cannot leave it like that.
reason being?
Old 04-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TravisBiggie
reason being?
Ughhhhh Charge contamination for one. How close to the turbo inlet does it dump... Think abouyt what happens to afrs and power when you recirc air with no O2 in it.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by extralargenog
Ughhhhh Charge contamination for one. How close to the turbo inlet does it dump... Think abouyt what happens to afrs and power when you recirc air with no O2 in it.

Thanks

Thanks? Do u think you're cute? Go **** yourself.

The end of the dump pipe will be no where near the intake of the turbo, just because its there doesnt mean its gonna shoot dirty exhaust near the inlet. I can put the end of the piping where ever I Want
Old 04-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The end of the dump pipe will be no where near the intake of the turbo, just because its there doesnt mean its gonna shoot dirty exhaust near the inlet. I can put the end of the piping where ever I Want
You're the one with the problem, not us, i look forward to reading your blown turbo thread in a few months.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

modify your dump tube and get it away from there so u can fit a filter, u also dont want a hot pipe right next to your cold side. take a few more shots of it from a few different angles, theres always a way.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe with a dhitty design of a ramhorn. The 3.5" K&N should fit... Just fine
so is Fullrace a shitty in design or were you referring to "one-off" ram horns? idk, but Fullrace ramhorns leaves very little room for a traditional filter also. i run a F.R. ramhorn and the shoehorn effect is applicable.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have an ebay ramhorn and i have ample room, mind u i am in a teg and i removed the power steering cooler.
Attached Images   
Old 04-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wanna piggyback on this thread too: I need a small filter to fit my gt37 as room is quite limited... Recommendations?
Old 04-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

:

You kiss your mother with that mouth tough guy?

Go **** yourself... Cute. Check it kid.....

Take some of your own advice princess.. you're new. Quit acting like it child. I don't give a **** what you do. Your ***** tired and your big ****ing mouth ain't going to get you a whole lot of help.... being you don't even know why were saying the dump tube is ****ed... I'd shut the hell up with the attitude and listen to people with experience making power... especially those making a good deal of it... for a long time.

Last edited by extralargenog; 04-27-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by damnilovepuzz3d
When you say 50K miles do you mean miles on KM's? Just have to check, because I'm Canadian as well and I sometimes say miles for the benefit of the majority of readers who are American.
In miles... I had about 80000km on that GT28 turbo, and the car was my daily driver for most of those years. Afterwards, I went with a GT40R for another 20000km and then rebuilt the motor.

For better surface area, I ran a velocity stack + screen, and it's still very short and compact and fits in tight spaces well. I did a few basic tests on my Supra at 1000WHP power levels (turbo has a 6" inlet), the velocity stack + screen made the most power overall (besides no mesh + stack), with a difference of about 10-15 WHP (only accounts for 1-2% difference in those results).

A big stack + screen made more power than just the compressor with nothing on it.

Camry:

Supra:

Integra (no stack):
Old 04-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Trial User

Ive been running my gt35r setup without a filter or screen for about two years now and and Ive been fine. I would say as long as mounted no lower than the head you will be fine not running a filter.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:44 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

whitegsr:
what size is that filter? assuming it is a t3/t4 because i need to get one for mine
Old 04-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the screens will help straighten out the airflow as it passes over, so its not really so much of a restriction, and the key to a filter is having a large volume inside the filter to allow the air to smooth out before it enters the inlet, this is part of the reason the blox velocity stack filters are 6" wide and 7" long.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Spawne32
the screens will help straighten out the airflow as it passes over, so its not really so much of a restriction, and the key to a filter is having a large volume inside the filter to allow the air to smooth out before it enters the inlet, this is part of the reason the blox velocity stack filters are 6" wide and 7" long.

With a screen.....

Its not AS big oof a deal on a S cover 4" inlet for obvious reasons... On a 3" E cover. Go turn the wick up on a 450 WHP 57 trim car then put a screen on it, then run the test with a 5" conical K&N and report back ;O)

Originally Posted by Ekcoupe-k
Ive been running my gt35r setup without a filter or screen for about two years now and and Ive been fine. I would say as long as mounted no lower than the head you will be fine not running a filter.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

:

You kiss your mother with that mouth tough guy?

Go **** yourself... Cute. Check it kid.....

Take some of your own advice princess.. you're new. Quit acting like it child. I don't give a **** what you do. Your ***** tired and your big ****ing mouth ain't going to get you a whole lot of help.... being you don't even know why were saying the dump tube is ****ed... I'd shut the hell up with the attitude and listen to people with experience making power... especially those making a good deal of it... for a long time.

actually you started with the attitude *******, so quit trying to preach to me

Quick Reply: turbo filters/screens