Notices

Turbo F22 going lean after hard pulls. Other symptoms as well..

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Turbo F22 going lean after hard pulls. Other symptoms as well..

95' CD5 with a turbo F22B1. Super 60 @ 18lbs. Precision 680s, Walbro 255. Street tuned on Crome free by me. GM 3 bar MAP. F23 IM.

My car is tuned to 15.2-15.5:1 cruising. Roughly 13.5-12.8:1 during boost transition and 11.2-11.8:1 from 4psi to 18. Timing is conservative at 1* retard per psi.

Issues I'm having:
-After I do a hard pull, run through the gears or whatever, the car will buck and jerk AFTER the pull. AFRs go super lean(using an AEM wideband), but only after the pull. Somewhere they would normally be 15.2:1, at that time they go to 17:1 or so lean the wideband won't even show a number. Car bucks like a bull. It will level out after a few seconds and AFRs will go back to where they should be. DURING the pull the AFRs are consistent and exactly where they should be. No issues WOT.
-Sometimes if I touch boost at 1-2psi and shift into the next gear the car will do the same thing.
-Will also randomly do it while cruising on the highway.
-Possibly unrelated. Car won't cut fuel correctly on decel. Even at -25inHG it will still be putting in fuel according to the wideband. And it's noticeable because the car will pull itself. If I tap the brakes or provide some sort of resistance it will decel properly.

I've checked TPS, cleaned throttle body, got a new IACV, fuel filter, distributor, checked the tune a thousand times, checked all lines, etc. I'm stumped. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-19-2014, 02:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Turbo F22 going lean after hard pulls. Other symptoms as well..

What is it tuned on? Just based on what I've heard, sometimes Crome will fuss for no reason and cause weird issues. Maybe your part throttle tune isn't dialed in enough? Maybe there is a part of your table where the load and fuel intersect that is way out of wack.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:48 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

what does your fuel map look like? mainly the vacuum columns at the higher rpm range?

as the ecu sweeps through the fuel map after a pull it could be entering cells that either don't have enough fuel or the values between cells are so different that the ecu has a hard time calculating the proper value between them given the large difference from cell to cell/breakpoint to breakpoint
Old 02-19-2014, 04:52 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm having issues with the f22a1 in my cb7 that I can't seem to get rid of before I boost the car... namely the typical OBD1 bouncy idle...

reset the ecu
cleaned the iacv
disassembled the fitv, cleaned it and lubricated it with Teflon

still doesn't go away

also replaced the iacv, no change

plus there's other issues like the lights constantly flickering even though the alt and battery test fine and all grounds are present, in good condition, and tight...

damn f series lol
Old 02-19-2014, 10:42 AM
Premium Member

My charging system light will come on vaguely at the top of the RPM even though voltage is fine. It's odd.

I've been through the tune many times and made the adjustments that were needed. Though there were only a few slight adjustments needed. The tune has been constantly monitored and fine tuned over the past 2 years.

This issue just showed up one day. I hadn't made any adjustments to the car in awhile either. It's been doing this for a few months now at this point. Getting pretty annoying. I almost want to think the fuel pump is being retarded or something along those lines.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd check the ECU grounds at the thermostat housing first. But it could be an ELD issue too, which I thought I read on this thread. If you are thinking it's the fuel pump, Walbros are cheap through a ton of vendors on here. $79 iirc advertised.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

I don't have an ECU ground at the thermostat housing. It's on the intake manifold but it's clean and fine. Not corroded, no broken wires. Just checked it. If I have to replace the fuel pump I will probably upgrade. Car will be getting a whole new setup in a few months and could use the insurance anyway.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Uh. Hmmmm. Never heard of that. Seems weird. Well. It's cheap, $79, if you think that is really what it is.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

It's an Accord thing. That's just where the ground is.