Notices

Turbo for a Daily Driver....?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2001, 08:49 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo for a Daily Driver....?

Even though my car is a wreck, since my accident yesterday morning, I am still contemplating what to do for it, i.e. All Motor, Supercharger, Turbo.

My main question here is that everytime someone asks me what my setup is going to be, and I say probably turbo, and then they here it is my daily driver, they stongly advise against it. They say that I should not do turbo to a daily driver... Could it be done? and why most likely do most people say this?
Old 12-15-2001, 08:53 AM
New User

Default Re: Turbo for a Daily Driver....? (1 FAST R)

Many many people here have daily driven turbo setups. Some have had them for over a year with little or no problems. The most important thing is tuning for fuel and proper ignition retarding. This is best handled with a standalone, but many have used piggy back systems with success. Do a search and see what you can come up with.
Oh, people who tell U not to turbo a daily driver do not know how easy it is to do, or they tried it and failed because they are stupid and did not do it correctly. It is not rocket science, but it takes a little preparation and knowledge. Good luck with whatever you choose to do bro.
Old 12-15-2001, 09:11 AM

Default Re: Turbo for a Daily Driver....? (97CivicFerio)

Do these friends have turbos themselves? What kind of explanations do they give you? I plan on doing it when I install mine and I have no worries because i know I will take the time to do things right when I install it. Only thing I can think of is not to boost everytime you drive it. Keep it under a certain RPM and it will be just like driving an NA car.
Old 12-15-2001, 09:17 AM
BoM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo for a Daily Driver....? (maxim)

NOTHING can compare to the thrill of BOOST!
everyone is stuck in the trend ALLMOTOR madness.

if u wanna go really fast in a shorter time, get boost...
Old 12-15-2001, 09:17 AM
New User

Even though my car is a wreck, since my accident yesterday morning, I am still contemplating what to do for it, i.e. All Motor, Supercharger, Turbo.

My main question here is that everytime someone asks me what my setup is going to be, and I say probably turbo, and then they here it is my daily driver, they stongly advise against it. They say that I should not do turbo to a daily driver... Could it be done? and why most likely do most people say this?

i drove my car almost everyday last year. i had a s/c before and the turbo was much faster/funner. if you build it correctly (there are many different ways) it will work for you just fine. i went 13.20 on street tires w/ the s/c and 12.60 on street tires w/ the turbo. turbo is better.
Old 12-15-2001, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Turbo for a Daily Driver....? (jinxproof99)

Its amazing what a good turbo system can do. Its all about tunning and have the right things for the turbo applications. A good turbo set up will not give problems. A BAD turbo setup however will give you headaches. Do it right the first time, and dont worry about it.

Old 12-15-2001, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo for a Daily Driver....? (ekb18c)

I had a JRSC for in my daily drive for about 6 months and it was problem free.

I've had my Drag kit on and the only issue I have had is that my fuel pump that I had since my SC gave out on me. Other than that it has been cool.
Old 12-15-2001, 12:55 PM
New User

As long as the kit is installed properly, tuned conservatively, and you don't beat on it all the time, the car should be fine. I have daily driven mine for over a year without any problems.
Old 12-15-2001, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo for a Daily Driver....? (TurboTypeR98)

As everyone else has said, its all about the tuning. If fuel/ignition is done right, you shouldn't have a problem. And if it worries you that much, pop in a boost controller and you can drop the boost down low for daily driving, which would make it real safe. My car is a daily driver, I drive over 150km every day to and from school, and the weather here averages out to about 35°C every day (I live near the equator) - no problems. Just drive it with respect, don't floor it everytime you drive it, and it will last you a long time.