Notices

Turbo Charging my 95 Integra GSR.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Charging my 95 Integra GSR.

I'm Planning on Putting a Turbo into my 95 GSR B18C1. But i'm new to the anatomy and specs of a car, so i'm slowly getting there. I just have a Few Questions. Here are the Specs :

B18C1
ITR Cams/ITR Cam Gears
160xxx Miles.
Stock Clutch

Questions :
1. What Preps should i do to my Engine ?
2. Do i need to Bore/Port&Polish ?
3. Would changing the Head gaskets help ? [I.E. Multi-Layered]
4. What are the Chances of my Engine Blowing ?
5. Should i change the Cams/Cam gears/piston rods/pistons/valve seals/internals ?
6. Anything i should know first ?

I`m just looking for some help. I`m pretty hesitant about boosting it since my b18c1 has a lot of miles on it.

Also, Which Kit do you guys Recommend that`s good for a decent price ? I'm going to Low/mid Boost my Engine.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Charging my 95 Integra GSR. (atmospheric SOUL)

well the first thing you should do is a leakdown test t osee if your engine is healthy enough for boost. also what are your goals?....hp numbers? It all depends if on how much power you want to make is what your going to need to get there. The MOST important thing to do is to find a good tuner. your stock cams will be fine for most setups. oem head gasket is fine no need for a layer gasket im running a oem gasket on my build. as far as pistons rods, i would pick up a set of eagle rods and a set of lower compression pistons from wiseco or cp je etc. and you wont need a port and polish on your cyl head. you can browse through setups other ht users are running and feel free to ask questions good luck
Old 07-08-2008, 10:35 PM

Default Re: Turbo Charging my 95 Integra GSR. (Turbo B18C EJ6)

first off tell us how much power you want to make. that will determine what parts you should use so its pretty difficult to give you some straight answers without knowing that. but ill give it a shot.

1. leakdown and compression test.
2. no
3. stick with oem. if it comes down to it and you want to lower your compression you can run a thicker gasket.
4. the chances on your engine blowing mostly depends on the tune. find a competent tuner who knows what he is doing.
5. itr cams work very well on a boosted setup. no need to get cam gears unless you really want them.

as for pistons i like wiescos but any big name brand will work just as good such as je, cp, ect. i would stay away from srp pistons though

go with eagle rods. they are cheap and reliable and most importantly very strong. they have been proven to hold 700+ hp.

pick a good quality turbo depending on how much power you want to achieve.

go ahead and replace your valve seals. is a good idea to do so since your engine has a lot of miles.

stock crank is very strong so you dont have to worry about that.

depending on how much power you want to make, getting your block sleeved is a very smart move if you want to make 350hp and up. then again, the amount of power you can make on stock sleeves entirely depends on the quality of your tune to a certain extent

you will have to upgrade from a stock clutch so like i said before, figure out how much power you want to make and pick one accordingly.

6. research and do your homework. honda-tech is your friend.

the best thing you can do is just piece a kit together with the highest quality parts. it can be cheaper if you know where to look for good deals. HINT: hondamarketplace.com

one more thing, stay away from anything on EBAY other then people selling name brand parts. ebay turbo's, wastegates, bov's, etc are all crap. sure there are people who use them and have had great success with ebay products but the failure rates of them makes them not worth it in the long run. ebay intercoolers are the only thing that they make that are actually very good and very inexpensive
Old 07-08-2008, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Turbo Charging my 95 Integra GSR. (94delslo)

Thanks for the help Everyone ! I`m looking to put a 450 - 550 whp DD.

1. Where can i get a Leakdown and Compression Test ?
2. What will Lower Compression Do ? [As in getting a Thicker Gasket]

I`m Getting Tuned at SVP/DNR. My Friends say they're one of the bests I`m Also upgrading my P70 ECU to a P28 ECU. Most Likely buy a Hondata Chip How Much is it to get my block sleeved ? An Estimate would be Great.

Thanks for the help everyone !
Old 07-09-2008, 12:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1. Any autoparts store usually sells the tools for the leak down and compression test.
2. Lower compression will allow you to boost more.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by atmospheric SOUL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the help Everyone ! I`m looking to put a 450 - 550 whp DD.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nothing against you but I was just curious if you have been in a high HP turbo GSR before. If not, going from a stock NA GSR to 500+WHP is going to be insane. plus to make that reliable enough to be your daily driver your going to have to redo just about everything because even if you make that power you got to be able to put it to the ground which is PITA @500+WHP on a FWD car on the streets. The below link is what people tend to spend on a decent setup.

Again I don't really know your budget or anything, but for a DD I would think that 350WHP would be plenty and is easily attainable with just a simple piston/rod combo.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2305812
Old 07-09-2008, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Turbo Charging my 95 Integra GSR. (97_coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by atmospheric SOUL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How Much is it to get my block sleeved ? An Estimate would be Great!</TD></TR></TABLE>

the cost will depend on what kind/manufacturer of sleeves you want to buy. benson, dart, golden eagle, or abes are what most people run. do some research on them and figure out which ones you like best. IMO i would steer clear of abes sleeves. many people have had problems with them sinking

i myself have gone with golden eagle. it cost me 1k for the sleeves, labor, and shipping both ways from golden eagle.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Turbo Charging my 95 Integra GSR. (97_coupe)

450-550whp is too much for a DD ? I was thinking about making this into my track car, but i'm buying a new DD next year. I`m thinking about a 04 or 06 STi, Evo 9MR, 09 TL Type S, or probably something classy. So if 350-400whp. is good, then i'll take it into consideration !

Thanks 94delslo, i'll take golden eagle into consideration i see it in a lot of build threads.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump...
Old 07-09-2008, 08:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by atmospheric SOUL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks 94delslo, i'll take golden eagle into consideration i see it in a lot of build threads.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no problem man