turbo car = slow?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo car = slow?

hey guys i just put a greddy turbo kit on my acura EL (canadian)..basically a civic ex...sohc d16y8 AUTO

my setup is gredddy turbo with spearco FMIC and greddy BOV and vortech FMU..zex colder spark plugs and i use 94 octane

i did not use the black box as i did not have to fool the map sensor (no engine light or codes throw)

my questions are...my car started to ping around 6 psi at around 5500 rpm 40% throttle...i lowwered it so im doing around 3-4 psi sumtimes it jumps to 5 psi
i had actuator problems and i was boosting 7-8 psi and pinging and had to make a ghetto rig thing to fix it so im at around 3-4 usually..anyone know why i ping at 6psi?

also me and my buddy were coming back from hockey...he was driving his mom stock LS auto..i wanted to see if i could easily puul on him..so we gassed it on the highway and his moms car basically kept up to me...i was like half a car infront of him for a while....wasnt a full blown race but ya if it was like a stock civic manual im pretty sure i woulda lost eh

ne who i know its a auto and all but i thought id be able to take cars like that for dinner?
maybe i was wrong? the car isnt tuned tuned which i know is very important..i run rich all the time also

any help would be great..sorry ifs not clear
Old 06-23-2003, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo car = slow? (DawgPoUnd)

do you have anything to tune it. i see you are running an FMU, do you have VAFC at least?

and in the little race were you running 3-4psi? dump the FMU and get something for fuel management and get the car on a dyno so you can put it up to at least 7 or 8 psi. it will be a world of difference

and yes your auto tranny is killing you.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:05 AM

Default Re: turbo car = slow? (dirtySOHC's)

are you running an intercooler?

with 94 octane, you should be able to get away with a few extra lbs of boost. Try resetting your timing a degree or two down, and try boosting 6 psi again..

Definately see if you can't get setup on a dyno with a wideband or something. What rising rate is the fmu? Did you add in an inline pump for higher pressures ?

Brad
Old 06-23-2003, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo car = slow? (lazerus)

ditch that fmu, and run the afc hack tuned on a wideband. My automagic pulls quite nicely for what it is.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It seems fishy that you don't need to use the black-box...are you running a missing link or check-valves?
Also, 3-4psi will barely make up for the restriction on your exhaust/intake caused by the turbine and compressor wheels. So, up the boost a few psi.

How do you know you are "pinging"? I bet you are mistaken or hallucinating. Unless it's really bad you won't hear it from inside the car.
::EDIT:: Also, just my opinion, but alot of people have had problems with the zex plugs. Although it probably isn't your issue here, I would just use some 1-2 step colder NGKs.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo car = slow? (ion_four)

I notice a good difference off of low boost (4-5 psi) but I have an LS engine and my car weights 1000 lbs less than I'm guessing yours to (EL = loaded with options = 2700 lbs).

ion_four is right about the low boost not offsetting the turbo restriction + how it kills exhaust dynamics - do what you have to do in order to turn that boost up safely, with good fuel management. 7-8 psi and you'll be much happier.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo car = slow? (J. Davis)

i had the same situation...i was running 3-4psi because of a leak in my charge pipe...it dyno'd at like 120 to the wheels with the same amount of torque...
Old 06-23-2003, 01:13 PM

Default Re: turbo car = slow? (Infinity_Racer)

im running a FMIC....no check valves or missing link..the map sensor reacted to boost fine..we got no codes or chck engine lights...the ABS light came on but we fixed that with a check valve

well me any buddy (installer) and another freind hav all heard it pinging i think....sounds like a bunch or marbles getting throw around againt metal?

i have not upgraged fuel pump or inejctors...nothing really for fuel managment other then the vortech 12:1 FMU

wat u guys think my next step shoud be? sell the FMU and buy a AFC? or do i need to keep the FMU

ya i was running around 3-4 psi..sumtimes it peaks to 5 psi...but i forgot if it hit 5 psi when we raced...have to get a pump to it and see wat its realling pushing out

i want to run 6 psi daily

also being automatic...wat gear is better to drive in..im talking in the sense of the tranny

D3 or D4...D4 = slower IMO on highways....as D3 keeps the revs up and u just tap the gas and the car goes pretty good

but is D3 good for daily driving/city or is that a NO-NO
sorry for all t he questions
Old 06-23-2003, 01:37 PM

Mickey?
Old 06-23-2003, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you want an AFC, do the hack or do the traditional AFC/FMU/310s/missing link. it's a little weird that you wouldn't need a missing link. Never heard of a stock civic ecu being able to read boost.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:56 PM

You have several options for fuel delivery, it all depends on how much money you have to spend.
Obviously the best route is to go stand-alone, or hondata.
Otherwise you can do one of several configurations. If you keep the fmu you will want to run a larger high pressure pump, The stock pump is only good for about 3-4psi with a 12:1 fmu.Even thats pushing it.
you can keep the stock injectors and 12:1 fmu along with *a high pressure* intank pump the pump is necessary if you want to run 5-6psi max,
If you want to run more i highly recomend that you upgrade your injectors.
You can run 310cc injectors and a 8:1 fmu along with the pump. That will be good for about 7-8 psi max.
Your best option short of runing a programable computer is doing the v-afc hack, or something simular to it like what i'm doing.
That includes runing larger injectors (450cc or so) high flow fuel pump and a v-afc to tune the fuel curve. with any of those options I recomend that you get a btm to take care of your ignition timing. If you don't you will have to retard your base timing about 2-3 degrees, but doing so will effect your power production, so That $100 spent on the btm is worth every penny, esp if your runing 7+psi. You can be losing anywhere from 5-30hp depending o how much timing you have pulled out.

2 last things, the detonation is probably due to runing to much timing, you will either need a btm or for the time being retard your base timing via the distributor. and secondly, I know everybody curses fmu's but they are a great tool for getting more fuel under boost if they are used responsibly, (meaning NOT runing 10psi with stock injectors and a 12:1 fmu)...
I've been using one for almost 3 years and it works great for me...
I'm runing a 255lph intank pump with 310cc injectors,4:1 fmu, and a sfc to lean out the top end a little...it's gotten me my 12.0 air/fuel ratio....whatever you do I highly recomend that you get it tuned on a dyno with a wideband o2, that way you know how the engine is doing.....