Notices

turbo boosting 1 lb?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo boosting 1 lb?

i just built this turbo kit, its an IHI RHB25 or something. it came off a ford probe. the turbo whines REALLY REALLY loud, its louder than the exhaust, and it doesnt sound like a turbo whine, it sounds like a transmission whine. but there's no shaft play, it spins perfectly, and boosts MAYBE one pound (boost gauge isnt numbered until 5) and it gets to just past the zero. there are no boost leaks in the charge piping (i just checked that and rechecked it and replaced all of it twice) it starts boosting a pound at about 2800 rpms, but it whines REALLY LOUD. it doesnt even boost enough to get my blowoff valve to open at all. there isnt a filter on the turbo due to the fact that im not driving it anywhere right now, just testing it in the garage, so its not restricting airflow. the thing is, when i hook up my boost gauge to the vacuum nipple on the turbo, it reads about 2 lbs of boost and no vacuum ever, but if i hook it up to the intake manifold, it reads about a half a pound of boost and vacuum. im confused on why this turbo boosts like ****. the only thing wrong with the setup is i have a small exhaust leak between the manifold and the head because the retard before me broke off a couple studs on the head. this is the 2nd turbo ive installed that hasnt boosted for **** that felt fine (as far as shaft play/bearings go) do you think that an exhaust leak that small could affect the turbo boosting THAT much? the wastegate is a custom adjustable that is all the way closed right now for testing purposes (seeing if wastegate was open causing no boost or something) the first turbo i tried was off of a volvo 940 i think, its a Garrett AiResearch. don't know what model turbo, but its decent sized. lol the IHI is so small... sorry for long post
Old 02-28-2005, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo boosting 1 lb? (apexrift)

The exhaust leak is probably affecting the turbo at least some .... but you;ve only tested it in the garage?

I'm not surprised the turbo isn;'t boosting past 1 psi in idle. Stick it in gear and drive around and see hwat's goin on! Until then it's not going to see full boost
Old 02-28-2005, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: turbo boosting 1 lb? (apexrift)

You wont really build any boost with the car sitting in the garage. You wont put enough load on the engine. My car wont make any boost just revin' the motor, unless im on the 2step...

Try putting a filter or screen on the turbo and go driving.

liam
Old 03-01-2005, 12:59 PM

Default Re: turbo boosting 1 lb? (liam821)

well i guess there was something stuck in the turbo, because it stopped whining and started boosting now. but 103 miles later the motor already spun a bearing. awesome. im getting sick of this **** - 9th motor