Notices

ok im a big noob about turbo charging a civic so here it goes...

Old 05-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok im a big noob about turbo charging a civic so here it goes...

when you put a kit on a civic...like a home made kit, how do you know that the motor is not going to blow up when you start it? would it boost right away? or would it run like normal until you actually open her up to WOT?

please excuse the stupid question and i appreciate your help.

Modified by rice a roni at 1:54 PM 5/17/2006
Old 05-17-2006, 10:50 AM

it is most likely going to run rich when you fire it up at first, thats why you tune for it. The only way you are in boost is if you accelerate harder or WOT would give full boost. It does not boost when it is idling or when you are just slowly accelerating (unless you have a tiny turbo)
Old 05-17-2006, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ok im a big noob about turbo charging a civic so here it goes... (rice a roni)

The flow of exhaust gasses at idle is not enough to spin up the turbo enough to create boost, plus the throttle plate is closed so, the boost would just exit though the blow off valve.

When you heal ppl talk about spool time, they are referring to where in the RPM range a turbo starts to build boost. A large turbo will take longer to build boost pressure than a smaller turbo on the same motor.

With a turbo motor you have the ability to run it as a normally aspirated motor (you just have to take it easy on the trottle and the turbo wont build boost), or you can jump on the trottle in every gear and hit boost.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ok im a big noob about turbo charging a civic so here it goes... (VTteg)

so basically i can drive it (witout hitting boost) to a tuner and get him to tune it right?
Old 05-17-2006, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ok im a big noob about turbo charging a civic so here it goes... (rice a roni)

Yes, just drive at a very light throttle, and dont rev too high (like about 3000 rpm)
Old 05-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ok im a big noob about turbo charging a civic so here it goes... (VTteg)

if you're worried about the general condition of your engine before going turbo, i would install a boost gauge (w/vacuum) and an oil pressure gauge first.

this way, you can see a general idea of what condition your rings and bearings are in. a healthy set of rings (at least the top set) will pull 19-21 inches of vacuum, and idle oil pressure will be around 20 psi, and over 3k rpm will be around 75psi.

if all is good to go, then at least you're one step closer to going turbo. if not, at least u didnt waste the time saving up and installing all the turbo parts.

i stay out of boost 80% of the time i'm on the streets...its hard to stay out of boost on the freeway because of the RPM's you're at (5th gear at 80mph is 4k rpm for me, turbo that starts building boost at 3500...)
Old 05-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Off topic, But I would like to thank the members helping this guy out. It's very unlike HT to help on a ? like this.

Good luck man. Hope all goes well.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tactic$)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tactic$ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Off topic, But I would like to thank the members helping this guy out. It's very unlike HT to help on a ? like this.

Good luck man. Hope all goes well. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah thanks guys...i was getting ready to put my flame suit on...