Notices

Turbo 3.5L J-series V6 High CR Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 02:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Turbo 3.5L J-series V6 High CR Build

Originally Posted by Flr Power
Tony, I noticed you went down 1 full CR on the new engine. Is it because it was too difficult to fight detonation with the pump 91-94 octane gas?

To crack a sleeve normally requires repeated exposures to detonation.
Or could it just be that the owner refueled with lower octane gas or he did not used the W/M system to safely guard against fuel variation?
The sleeves are thin from the factory on the 3.5L block... I overlooked this aspect on the build initially and just assumed it was similar to a B16/B18; however, upon much closer inspection, the sleeve and casting on the block was very thin and not consistent surrounding the bore. At the spot where the sleeve cracked, it measured thinner than a B20 block. One sleeve cracked, and 2 other cylinders had small fractures already.

This motor wouldn't be able to endure any detonation at all. Imagine detonating a block that has thinner sleeves than a B20 with over 120WHP per cylinder (i.e,. 480 WHP B20 motor equivalent)? A few pulls would have killed it even if there was a slightest hint of detonation quite frankly.

We dropped compression because of piston design issue. If we wanted to keep it at 12.5:1 CR with the 3.3L, it would be a sharp dome piston (no good). I ended up choosing a piston that still had a flattish piston top and similar profile as the old piston.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Tony, big fan of your work and general tuning theory. I've researched much if your work and can honestly say you seem like one of the few on the forums who have solidity behind your posts. One question I've had about this build (literally since the beginning) is when you went with a heavier piston/rod set, did you have the crankshaft counterweights filled in with heavy metal or did you just balance the components themselves and run it as is? Seems like if it had been done during the engine machining or build process, it would have been stated on the thread. Just curious.

Oh and lastly, would you mind sharing what type of total timing you were at while tuning between pump and race (fuel type?) gas? Also, what sort of timing differences (if any at all) would one typically see when tuning between the low and high ignition tables when not only VTEC is activated, but also other things such as the intake manifold runner valves? Seems like the VTEC overlap would naturally increase EGT's and force one to remain somewhat modest on advance than with pre-VTEC tables. I only ask because you said you used both EGT sensors and back pressure sensors during the tuning process which is something I've also experimented with (EGT only) while tuning my bone stock j35 running e85/WMI at 16lbs. Seems like the EGT's on these engines go absolutely out of control at even modest boost levels REGARDLESS of timing and AFR. So much to the point that I no longer felt comfortable running pump gas while being boosted on the motor. Even at 5lbs I would see 1400F+ EGT's and that was using down to -1.5 degrees per lb of boost. What was your observations with this while tuning?

Thanks in advance Tony!
Old 09-28-2017, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ima drop a j35 in my civic with a 6262 in 2 days ez np...for real though that would be cool and this is definitely a cool build!
Old 09-28-2017, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow nice
Old 10-09-2017, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very cool!!