Notices

Tuning With Uberdata and Techedge Wideband

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 10:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning With Uberdata and Techedge Wideband

Hey guys. Im building up a 95 coupe with a built d16z6 in hope of pushing 20+lbs and high 10s-11s. I want to use Uberdata to tune the 720cc injectors with the stock ign. I'd like to take it as far as I can. I used an older version on the old motor (b18b) and LOVED it. ran mid 12's no prob. hence i want to give it another shot.
I also bought a techedge v1.0 with datalogging through serial port. but it only logs the a/f. Is there anyway to get it to log other inputs? rpm, air temp, etc. I dont mind adding stuff to the box, etc.
So far the setup will be a laptop with the chipburner attached and datalogging. after a run, i will check out the data and alter the map accordingly.

Is it possible to just pull the voltage off the ecu pins and run them to the serial port, into the laptop and calibrate the voltages accordingly through a software??

kinda OT - but i know i could do this using some stuff from school. I am currently doing research on hydraulic controls and to so we are using National Instruments Labview and their DAQ devices. I would only take me minutes to pull the voltage off the ecu pins, run them to the DAQ box, configure the voltages, and write a program to datalog and display in real time any or everything that i wanted. But then I would have to put like $10-15k worth of the school's stuff in my car and risk breaking or losing. and i wouldnt be able to keep it in my car very long.

Any suggestions or advise.
oh and I am gonna try to get ahold of blake to see about using a 3bar and boost controller (and yes i will pay him)

Old 02-03-2004, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tuning With Uberdata and Techedge Wideband (Burke)

im pretty sure the datalogging software linked on the techedge site(at least the palm one) shows you a/f vs. rpm. theire is also a program called ecucontrol that was just setup to work by gimpster on the uberdata site. you get a ttl-rs232 converter and you attach that cable to your ecu(have to solder in a header) then hook it up to your lappy or palm and log all that exciting info. i will be running the same thing with my turbo gsr, techedge 1.5 and the ecucontrol.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tuning With Uberdata and Techedge Wideband (blufke)

keep in mind that the rpm pin on the ecu is not a varying voltage, rather it is a varying frequency and the voltage stays about the same. the only way to make use of this is to use a frequency to voltage converter, and then log from there. i know nation semiconductor makes such a chip that i've experimented with before...but i forget the number. if you're experienced enough in electronics to go this route, go to http://www.national.com and search for the chip. they will send you a free sample
Old 02-03-2004, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tuning With Uberdata and Techedge Wideband (Burke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Burke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">kinda OT - but i know i could do this using some stuff from school. I am currently doing research on hydraulic controls and to so we are using National Instruments Labview and their DAQ devices. I would only take me minutes to pull the voltage off the ecu pins, run them to the DAQ box, configure the voltages, and write a program to datalog and display in real time any or everything that i wanted. But then I would have to put like $10-15k worth of the school's stuff in my car and risk breaking or losing. and i wouldnt be able to keep it in my car very long.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It sounds like you have some good hands on experience, and knowledge of what is possible and can be done, but the $$$ pricetag attached to someone else's stuff dissuades me from going that route.

I think it was zip who was using a generic 4-input $25 datalogger, you might want to look into that. It seems to me the only real way to synch your data, as getting AFR meshed in with your other datastreams might be a PITA through any other means. The problem with blufke's route is just that - synching the Techedge and ECU outputs for comparison.

Current Honda datalogging code needs to be rewritten anyway, as it sits it sucks. Interrupt based polling of memory locations is a big fat waste of processor time.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you were using the techedge 2.0 it would be easy, as it has logger inputs for RPM and 2 other normal 0-5v inputs, and i think one or two thermocouple inputs. Have you looked at the techedge suite, or their yahoo email list to see whether they have anything for the 1.0?
Old 02-03-2004, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (poid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you were using the techedge 2.0 it would be easy, as it has logger inputs for RPM and 2 other normal 0-5v inputs, and i think one or two thermocouple inputs. Have you looked at the techedge suite, or their yahoo email list to see whether they have anything for the 1.0?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i know that the 1.0 is very limited in this department. part of the problem is that the signal going to the display from the wb controller is not linear - there are lookup tables in the display to compensate. what i'm getting at is i'm pretty sure that there is no place to tap into a 0-5v signal. but remember if you're doing this on a computer i guess you could make your own lookup table.....

the version 1.5 (which is what i have) has built in datalogging including rpm, so you wouldnt have to mess with a frequency to voltage converter like i was talking about in my above post. the v2.0 is also like this but a little more developed.....if you have the money i'd say get the 2.0. if you have soldering skills you can save yourself some money and get the kit and build it yourself.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:46 PM
Banned

Default Re: (keebler65)

wow. thanks for the input guys.
im pretty sure i can get some (a whole lot) of help from a friend to turn the frequency into a 5 volt input. is it possbile to then dump the signal through the serial cable into the laptop and get it to read it???
j. davis - can you point me in the direction of that $25 logger?
im gonna look into the ecucontrol as well.
Thanks Everyone!