Notices

tuning timing issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuning timing issues

In an effort to get a damn answer, Im going to post my situation.

Motor is a stock jdm b16a w/ spoolin log mani and 2.5" dp, 3" exhaust, t3/t04e .57 .63. I've nailed the afrs in boost to 11.5:1.

Heres my issue. In VTEC, the plugs are clean @ 18* total timing @ .5 bar. However, at 5000 rpms, which is right when boost hits and also appears to be peak torque, Ive gone as low as 13.75* total timing and I still see knock on the plugs. It does appear that the knock only happens in second gear, and I've also noticed a spike in afrs at 5000rpms, to 12.0-12.2 (never higher than 12.2).

Right now, my timing for the low cam is a straight 1*/psi retard from the stock EDM timing maps, which begin at 23* @ .4psi.

Any ideas on this? I see black specs on the plugs @ 5k, and up top they are clean, also at atmospheric the plugs are clean.

Im posting this in hopes that one of the more reputable tuners (ie mase, tony1, b-h) can provide some insight. I really want to do this right, since I eventually want to add more boost but dont want to be knocking when I do...

Thanks.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just pull a little more timing out and see what happens. If the knock goes away then you are fine. Also make sure your distributor is synched with the base timing.

Also maybe try giving it a little more fuel in that area. Getting it in the lower 11s isn't going to hurt it, especially in the area you are talking about. The lean it out a bit torward red line.

Also since you said it only happens in second gear.. maybe try using the gear multiplier.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93turbo16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93turbo16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would just pull a little more timing out and see what happens. If the knock goes away then you are fine. Also make sure your distributor is synched with the base timing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, checked the timing a few weeks ago, it was .5* off, so I left it. I guess I could pull more timing, but Im starting to worry about the EGT's that could result from pulling too much.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:10 PM

Default Re: (cobra2326)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cobra2326 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, checked the timing a few weeks ago, it was .5* off, so I left it. I guess I could pull more timing, but Im starting to worry about the EGT's that could result from pulling too much.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It only happens in second gear though correct? I edited my post, maybe try using the gear dependent multiplier to add some fuel for second gear. I usually have to do that to keep A/F constant throughout the gears.

Also what kind of PCV setup do you have?
Old 02-24-2006, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93turbo16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93turbo16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It only happens in second gear though correct? I edited my post, maybe try using the gear dependent multiplier to add some fuel for second gear. I usually have to do that to keep A/F constant throughout the gears.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im using crome, and apparently the gear dependant multiplier only works for timing. I tried to set all gears to the same value, but it didnt seem to change anything.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93turbo16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also what kind of PCV setup do you have?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Right now, I have a valve cover breather and the pcv line from the intake manifold is disconnected and has a breather on it as well, so I definitely dont have oil being introduced into the IM. Ill be getting a catch can soon.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (cobra2326)

What exactly are you seeing in the plugs? What plugs are they? Proper heat range? Are you sure what you are seeing is the result of knock and not carbon deposits?

Just wanna get your mind going in different directions so you don't get too fixated on one thing, something you end up overlooking the easiest answers that way (I know, I've done it pleanty of times!)
Old 02-24-2006, 07:02 PM

Default Re: (VTC_CiViC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTC_CiViC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What exactly are you seeing in the plugs? What plugs are they? Proper heat range? Are you sure what you are seeing is the result of knock and not carbon deposits?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is more what I was thinking when I read it to. Maybe snap some pics of them if you can get some good pics.