Notices

Trouble shotting needed for an LSD installation..

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble shooting needed for an LSD installation..

Well, i put in my obx LSD and put my tranny back together the way i took it apart. But the problem is that i can't get the case to fit in all the way. Theres about a 1/2" between the two case. Plz see if you can spot anything funny or anything that doesn't seem right to you. Besides the dirty oiled case that will be wash and painted after it's back together. Look ats the pictures and see if you can help..

Old 07-12-2005, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you pull the snap ring apart when you tried to drop it down?
is the differential sitting in the case properly? the final drive should be sitting at or below the level of the mating surfaces
Old 07-12-2005, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

quick question for you while you have it apart...
does your countershaft bearings have any side to side play?
Old 07-12-2005, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

My bearings have no side to side play. I can not move it in any way meaning side to side. The only movement it can make is spin and about the snap ring I took that out to see if it would fit in all the way down. But still no luck, I don't know what else to check???
Old 07-12-2005, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did you try to put the diff in without any shims?
Old 07-12-2005, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Shims i'm not sure what that is?
Old 07-12-2005, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you pull the snap ring apart when you tried to drop it down?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That would of been my guess..
Old 07-12-2005, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DXK Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DXK Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Shims i'm not sure what that is?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can see the separate outer race for the tapered roller bearings here in the clutch housing. There is a 2.5mm thick thrust shim directly underneath the outer race, sandwiched b/w the differential outer race and the axle seal.

if you're shim is too thick for the new diff, its gonna keep it from sitting flush with the housing to bolt up...
is the final drive on the diff at or below the level of the housing?

taken from
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=795700
Old 07-12-2005, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Redwidow)

I took the shim off just now and it fits over the bearing just fine. About the snap ring that is the one that clips on the highligthed bearing. I got it to fit down all the way and I bolted it up and now I can't move the countershaft that sticks out of the tranny on the other side. Thanks for the help so far. Any more ideas..

Old 07-12-2005, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DXK Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DXK Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I took the shim off just now and it fits over the bearing just fine. About the snap ring that is the one that clips on the highligthed bearing. I got it to fit down all the way and I bolted it up and now I can't move the countershaft that sticks out of the tranny on the other side. Thanks for the help so far. Any more ideas..

</TD></TR></TABLE>

well u need to have proper clearances between the diff and the tranny casing.. u can't just take the shim out and call it a day...
removing the shim completely most likely makes the diff bind to the tranny housing or something making it hard for the final drive to spin, which is all connected to the main and countershafts...
Old 07-12-2005, 08:42 AM

exactly, you can't just remove the snap ring and expect it to all fit in there properly. i had trouble getting the snap ring far enough down on the countershaft to get to the groove in it at first. what you have to do is get the tranny almost totally closed up, then flip it upside down and the entire countershaft will drop down enough for the snap ring to reach its groove.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Trouble shooting needed for an LSD installation.. (DXK Eg)

Put the shim back in because I'm sure the diff ring gear is hitting the side of the tranny casing. As for being difficult to put back on the tranny housing you'll have to play with it. If you feel you have everything correcty installed the cover will go on. Just takes alittle patience. After you put the shim back in put the halfshaft and turn the tranny in a couple gears to make sure nothing binds and everthing spins freely. Theres no point in putting the cover back on and finding the tranny binds (trust me I did this back in the day ).
Old 07-12-2005, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Trouble shooting needed for an LSD installation.. (msmotorsports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by msmotorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Put the shim back in because I'm sure the diff ring gear is hitting the side of the tranny casing. As for being difficult to put back on the tranny housing you'll have to play with it. If you feel you have everything correcty installed the cover will go on. Just takes alittle patience. After you put the shim back in put the halfshaft and turn the tranny in a couple gears to make sure nothing binds and everthing spins freely. Theres no point in putting the cover back on and finding the tranny binds (trust me I did this back in the day ). </TD></TR></TABLE>

there has been someone on here who mentioned the thinnest shim honda offers doesn't even help with the clearance between the case and the diff, but removing the shim makes the clearance too big...
Old 07-12-2005, 09:45 AM

Default Re: Trouble shooting needed for an LSD installation.. (msmotorsports)

your probably not gonna be able to move the input shaft by hand. try putting the clutch disc on and turning it. if not the shims too big. there should only be a gap of .000 to .004" between diff. bearing and tranny housing. it would probably be easier to shim if you swap out the tapered bearings for roller ball bearings
Old 07-12-2005, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Trouble shooting needed for an LSD installation.. (igo4bmx)

thats a hell of a gap and can not see it being from a shim. Granted the shim needs to be in place, and by leaving that shim out, you told us you probably did not clearance the diff itsefs. If i remember correctly its supposed to be like 4/1000th or something of that nature. Look it up in a book.

As far as the trans not going back together, if you took either your main or countershaft apart, go through and check all your synschro sets. I tried to put mine back together with one of the sets upsidown and it keeps everything from sliding back together and prevents the case from dropping down.

You alos may benefit from putting those bearings in the case first, then dropping that onto the trans.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Trouble shooting needed for an LSD installation.. (adictionbass)

ever get it figured out?