Notices

Transmission Probs

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Probs

Posted in another forum too, but you guys seem to have more general experience so I'll ask here also. My new (used) tranny already has bad bearing and makes a horrible noise while I'm driving and I need to replace the bearings, but I don't know if it's possible because I've never even taken off my tranny before, thus I don't know if I have the experience to do it. I have however done many other things to my car myself such as a turbo install, A/C installation, P/S installtion, etc, so I'm a decent do-it-yourselfer. Have any of you taken off your tranny and/or replaced the bearings? I don't think the tranny removal is very heard, but the bearings I'm not sure about. I really hope its possible to do because I don't have the money to take it to a shop. I would really appreciate everyone's advice on how this is done.
Old 10-06-2002, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Transmission Probs (OKSolSi)

The bearing at the end of the counter shaft is the most common i have seen go out. Youll have to tear it apart and find out what it is and also inspect it. If its the one at the end of the case becarful as to which one you order. I have seen the same model trannys have different bearings. Some have a tapered one and others are regular. Its really no big deal nothing can really fall apart on you, you have to press out the syncro hubs so its not like the gears will fall out.