Notices

which transmission for high hp

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default which transmission for high hp

what transmission would be better? type r...gsr? yes, ive searched. decided to post because the concensus was LS.

yes, high hp. im looking for 650-700, probably w/ gt40 or so. revving out to around 9k. which tranny woudl be better?? i have a gsr and type r tranny right now, both with the same diff...what should i go with?

looking for input on 3rd gear and higher, 1st and 2nd are going to be useless regardless
Old 10-25-2005, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 10-25-2005, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (LSTEG96)

that's alot of power. If you built somthing that crazy, you should have an idea of the transmission you need. Your better off getting a dog box or look into a saenz dog clutch transmission. And 1st and 2nd gear are never really useless! If you tune according to your traction, than you can use them to your advantage. Good luck though, and if you are actually making that power, "MaAdd PrOPPs Yow"

http://www.saenzperformance.com/index_home.asp

and talk to this guy, he's smarter than me ...

Old 10-25-2005, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jwbetley)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jwbetley &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> and talk to this guy, he's smarter than me ...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry here it is...

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1396719
Old 10-25-2005, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, obviously a dog box setup would be better... but thats pretty spendy. i have pretty much all i have into it right now, there is 5k laying around for a new tranny.

and i plan on doing boost by speed (ems) or gear, but thats in the future, this is going to be the highway ***** for a while.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

highway *****, huh? for $500, you can probably get your hands on a gsr tranny. You can probably even get away with an open diff. If your redline is at 9000, than you shouldn't have any "lack of speed" issues. IMO, 4.4 final drive is probably too low for that much power, but this is a questio of drivers preference. Your not gonna get a straight answer. Just search up the gear ratios ratios of different trannies at certain engine speeds and find what speed you want your powerbands peek to be set at. It's all you though.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jwbetley &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">highway *****, huh? for $500, you can probably get your hands on a gsr tranny. You can probably even get away with an open diff. If your redline is at 9000, than you shouldn't have any "lack of speed" issues. IMO, 4.4 final drive is probably too low for that much power, but this is a questio of drivers preference. Your not gonna get a straight answer. Just search up the gear ratios ratios of different trannies at certain engine speeds and find what speed you want your powerbands peek to be set at. It's all you though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol yeah...
dilemma is...my direct competition needs a tranny... and i have both sitting here, what do i sell him?
Old 10-25-2005, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, if it's a highway beast... than your probably going to want the gsr... plus, the type r and b16 gears are a little too close for high whp applications imo... with high engine speeds, you shouldn't have a problem falling out of your powerband.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jwbetley &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, if it's a highway beast... than your probably going to want the gsr... plus, the type r and b16 gears are a little too close for high whp applications imo... with high engine speeds, you shouldn't have a problem falling out of your powerband. </TD></TR></TABLE>

higher engine speeds than ur ls? i'll probably be taking it to 9.5
Old 10-25-2005, 06:42 PM

imo for anything over 500whp id use an ls tranny without a doubt
Old 10-25-2005, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

on my ls? My redlines only at 7,000. It gets up to 140 real quick, but that's my limit. Your car is in a whole other league...

The gsr final drive will bring you approximatley 20 mph per each 1000 rpm. SO, at 9000 in 5th, your at 180... so, dont tell me your gonna be limited in that field.

you can look at this for a better idea of the ratio's between series. Some of the cable trannies aren't too bad either. Figure out what ratio's put you into your powerband at certain speeds.

take the time...

(RPM / gear ratio / final drive / 336 ) x tire Outer wheel diameter

___ your wheel diameter is your (sidewall x 2 ) + your rim size. If you have 195's, your OD is probably 22.7...

well, anyways...
lets say, (9000rpm/.787(5th ratio)/ 4.4 final drive/ 336) * 22.7 = 175.5 mph

try it for all any gear and any rpm...

recources-
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/temp/Bgears.htm

This one might work, used it once...
http://www.venommotorsports.co...r.asp

Now, if you know your powerband, you can narrow down what gears will be optimal for launch at a specific speed. If you looking to have a highway ***** from 60mph, plug that speed in along with your engines peek hp rpm range, let the FD remain constant, and solve for the gear ratio. Find which one is closest of all the b-series trannies.

good luck
Old 10-25-2005, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gsr tranny and 235 60 15 MT radial or 24.5 or 25 slick
Old 10-26-2005, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (T4eg)

i say gsr tranny
Old 10-26-2005, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turboedc2)

Some words from a man much more knowledgable than I. I didn't see where you said which engine you were using, but since you said that you would rev it to 9k, I assume gsr. Hope this helps.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Gear ratios are merely a way to trade torque for rpm. With a higher numerical gear ratio, you are putting more rpm at the wheel. With closer gear ratios, you are able to stay at a higher rpm in between shift points. Something like the LS transmissions are suited more towards the broad torque curve/low reving LS engine. It keeps you in the peak torque area in between shifts. The ITR/SI/GSR transmissions keep the rpm's built up in between shifts, to stay in the more peaky powerband.

Having said that, for the track the itr/si tranny is the best hands down. Most high whp turbo engines are operating between 5.5-9k, and having their shift points in between. In combination with a tall slick size (24.5"+), and the high shift point (8.5-9k), you are able to keep the engine operating within the optimum torque curve.

With the LS transmission, between shifts it would possibly drop you out of the optimal powerband and therefore make you slower. Gearing simply put allows you to stay in the powerband of your engine in between shifts.

The myth that you stay in gear longer with the LS transmission makes you faster is purely false. Think about that statement for a second. Acceleration is the measure of velocity over a unit time. Watching the rpms climb on the tach during a 3rd/4th gear pull, they would be climbing slower than with the si/itr tranny. Looking at the definition of acceleration as a measure of velocity over a unit time, the engine would be getting to the same velocity over a slower time lapse. This would yield slower acceleration, and simply put make you slower.

Having said that, the gsr transmission is probably the best balance of a street/strip transmission. The gearing is a little less aggressive as the itr/si transmissions, which will yield a little more traction. For all out acceleration si/itr tranny wins hands down. For a slower car, go with the LS transmission.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-26-2005, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KeyserSoze)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KeyserSoze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Some words from a man much more knowledgable than I. I didn't see where you said which engine you were using, but since you said that you would rev it to 9k, I assume gsr. Hope this helps.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

it is actually an lsvtec of sorts.

ive read the same quote somewhere, and all i can think of is spool up... ? on an ls transmission, wont u have to wait longer for the spool? on an itr wont u spool fast but just spin? im leaning towards GSR
Old 10-26-2005, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would think that keeping the high rpm in between shift points would be crucial for you. What management will you be using? Does it have anti-lag. Hard on the manifold, but from what I have heard it works fairly well. What you don't want is to drop out of your useful power band in between gears. Don't know an extreme amount on this topic, I'm still pretty nub.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KeyserSoze)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KeyserSoze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would think that keeping the high rpm in between shift points would be crucial for you. What management will you be using? Does it have anti-lag. Hard on the manifold, but from what I have heard it works fairly well. What you don't want is to drop out of your useful power band in between gears. Don't know an extreme amount on this topic, I'm still pretty nub. </TD></TR></TABLE>

no anti lag here, ill be using hondata. brake boosting is ur friend.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i believe i can drop to around 6k 3rd-4th. thats pretty good power on a 40.