Notices

Transmission gurus.. Diff install questions

Old 08-06-2002, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission gurus.. Diff install questions

Ok, I'm installing a quaife in my gsr tranny and I'm trying to decide which bearings to use. What I mean by this is, can I ditch the tapered bearings and use the regular bearings? According to the helms manual the ls tranny uses the standard bearings but the gsr tranny uses the tapered bearings, anyone actually know why? Are the tapered bearings better?

Anyway.. I believe the 00'+ type-r and possibly the newer gsr trannies use the regular ball bearings on the diff as well. I want to switch over to the standard bearings because it's easier to measure the clearances and order the correct shims than measuring the preload. I just want to make sure the standard bearings will fit the transmission housing w/o a problem.

Also, when selecting a shim for the transmission housing, can I use the original 79.5mm shim or the 80mm snap ring shim? Thanks for the help!

-Mike
Old 08-06-2002, 07:30 PM
Corr Performance Pilot

Default Re: Transmission gurus.. Diff install questions (SlowTeg)

From the NUMEROUS times that I've taken out my differential and have had my boy at Acura install it for me here is the dealy. It makes it easier to spec the diff. if you use the regular bearings and not the tapered. As far as the shim is concerned he took the 80mm snap ring off and replaced it with a regular shim. That install took him about 2 hours to take the LSD out of my new tranny and put the Quaife in.

Good luck.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission gurus.. Diff install questions (MouhadIb)

Ok, sounds good. That's the reason why I wanted to use the regular bearings also. One thing.. is there an easy way to remove the needle bearing for the countershaft w/o a slide hammer? Thanks again.

-Mike
Old 08-06-2002, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Transmission gurus.. Diff install questions (SlowTeg)

Yes, you can put the standard (non-tapered) bearings in. I ditched the old tapered bearings and put in the standard ones in my GSR tranny. Why, well when I ordered them from acura I told them what I had and that is what they gave me, so I rolled with it. Just be sure to re-measure the pre-load when you do. Most likely you will not be able to get away with using the shims that you have. I had to get different ones because of switching the bearings. I only had to go with one shim on each side as opposed to two on one side and one on the other. I'm going to really stretch my memory here but I think I went with .7x in. on both sides for them shim thickness. This gave me the 1-3 Nm resistance that is outlined in the helms. But again, be sure to measure since all trannys are not equal.
Old 08-06-2002, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission gurus.. Diff install questions (RedTeg95)

Ok, I think you got it backwards... With the regular non-tapered bearings, you don't measure pre-load, you measure the clearance. With the tapered bearings you measure pre-load.

Ok, one last question.. I already removed both the bearing outer races. But.. according to the helms manual it says "measure clearance between the 80mm shim and bearing outer race." But.. according to the diagram on the earlier page the ls(non-tapered) bearings don't use the bearing outer race..? Is this possibly a misprint..? Thanks.

-Mike