Notices

Transmission/Clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission/Clutch question

Well.. my friend and I decided to drop my transmission today to check the clutch because I was having issues with it at the track. (couldn't get it into 2nd or 4th gear at high rpm's)
While I was waitin for my friend to come to my house, i decided to check my cap and rotor since I knew it was due for a replacement soon. To my suprise, I saw this once I unscrewed my cap. (mind you, i drove the car 120 miles round trip to the track the previous weekend, and I even started it up 5 minutes prior to taking the cap off).

This was the condition of the rotor:

So i ran over to the Acura dealership and picked up an OEM cap and rotor. Then my friend came over and we finally got to work on the transmission work.

First step, was to unplug all the wires and take off my charge pipe.

Then off with the axles, and motor mounts.

Finally, got the transmission out, along with the clutch

and here's how my clutch looked:

What do u guys think of the condition of it? I'm a bit worried to see the friction pads chipped off. The flywheel looks to bein good shape, and the pressure plate looks a bit worn. Anyways, I'll probably order a new clutch tomorrow and hope to swap it in within the week or so. Until then, my car is back on jack stands like it was all of 2007

Old 06-05-2008, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Transmission/Clutch question (Outkast95LS)

i am no expert bear in mind but the flywheel and the pressure plate look ok still, from the pics you posted they dont look blue'd or anything from slipping/ heat... dont see any really noticeable grooving. if you run your nail across it does it catch anyplace on them?

hard to tell if the disc has some life on it still from that angle (appears to have some but hard to tell) but the chipped off material would make me a little nervous. although its not uncommon to see a little bit of that around the edges of the pad... it looks like there is a pretty sizeable piece gone in the lower left corner. maybe others will chime in but a disc is cheap to replace if you were unsure about it.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Transmission/Clutch question (twkdCD595)

I was concerned with the clutch/pp because ever since day 1, the clutch pedal felt very soft. The engagement wasn't as harsh as my friend's ACT 6 puck with the same pressure plate... so I just assumed the pressure plate was worn and was due for a replacement. But if i can get away with using a replacement disk and keeping the pressure plate, I will.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Transmission/Clutch question (twkdCD595)

bump for more answers
Old 06-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the chipping will only get worste. especially if you take it to the track
Old 06-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission/Clutch question (postman)

i remember when i first got my xt6p and it was on/off no matter what. after awhile though it started to be easier to engage and i could slip it without much chatter. I recently had my tranny rebuild and i had chunks missing from the disc. the pressure plate didnt look to bad from when the throw out bearing comes in contact with it so i kept it and just replaced the disc with another 6puk. even with the new disc it can be slipped without much chatter. but the pressure plate still hold 500+whp so im assuming its good. i would say keep the pp and just replace the disc depending on how much power your making.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission/Clutch question (95dc2teg)

also i see that you are running a sprung 6 puck i would just go with a unsprung 6 puck. it can take the abuse at the track MUCH better. thats what i am running at dd is not too bad at all
Old 06-07-2008, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Transmission/Clutch question (95dc2teg)

It's a sprung 4 puck actually, but I guess I'll end up keeping the pressure plate, and replacing the disc. Then I'll change out the CMC because I do notice a leak near the clutch pedal.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the not going into gears problem probably has more to do with the tranny than the clutch...

unless your clutch isn't fully disengaging when you shift you probably have some worn parts in the tranny keeping the gears from meshing or possibly bent shift forks?