traction issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traction issues

so i have a gsr engine with LS tranny gt35r turbo currently making 466 at 18psi

suspention is 10k-18k skunk2s

just got my tires yesterday MT street drag radials 225/50/r15 and they are gripping the best out of all the tires i have had BUT still they are breaking loose when the boost is fully hit . im currently running 15 or so on the street and tires are 30psi . and temp is 27 today.

is there anything i can do ? i love the grip i have on the 1/4 throws u into the seat and on the street just spins and spins .................
Old 05-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: traction issues

You'll always spin on the streets, what gears does it grip?

You could try ramping the boost/map so its more progressive.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1st n it starts to break loose in 2nd gear at top . and 3rd its fine till about 7 grand then it breaks loose . im going to try bringing my boost down to 10psi and see

buddy with a evo his car feels quicker then mine because his grips soooo good lol .
Old 05-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a bigger drag radial. Control how your boost comes in. Lower the tire pressure.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As mentioned, you will always spin on the street with your street tires. Even with the DR's you will spin. That is a great amount of power trying to be transmitted through 2 wheels on small tires.

You will need to set up boost levels by gear. That will be your best bet for trying to fix your traction problems.

Or you can just stop trying to race everything in sight and just drive the car normally.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol i have actually never raced on the street i just like to get up to the speed limit on the highway quick sometimes lol ..

or when i show someone, NEVER has top speed runs or anything like that have been done

i just want my car to grip hard on the street where it puts u in the seat like the 1/4 does
Old 05-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EG_SINZ
lol i have actually never raced on the street i just like to get up to the speed limit on the highway quick sometimes lol ..

or when i show someone, NEVER has top speed runs or anything like that have been done

i just want my car to grip hard on the street where it puts u in the seat like the 1/4 does
The car will NEVER grip like it does on the drag strip on slicks. NEVER.

All of the above suggestions will help the car retain some traction, but to try and mimic whats done at the strip is just laughable.

Also, what speed limits require you to smash through the gears that quick in order to merge onto the FWY? Unless all of the onramps in your area are ridiculously short, you should have enought time to accelerate normally (considering your power, you should be able to get up to speed without any stress)

I understand getting a little excited getting on the fwy, but just ease off some and you will be fine.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

He just wants to use the power he has on the street. You guys drive normal 100% of the time on the street? I don't know anyone that mods a street car, strictly to drive it wide open ONLY on a closed race track.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Op, do you have traction bars? They may be of a little help, even tho they are mainly meant for launching and controlling wheel hop.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds like you have one of those Hondas that either idle or are wide open throttle. I'm glad I can control the amount of power delivered to the wheels by a neat invention called a gas pedal. If I don't want full power getting to my wheels to avoid wheel spin then I don't press the pedal down fully, I recommend getting and using these nifty doodads. Limit my power by gear works too.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Drag radials are meant to be warmed-up at a lower tire pressure. I have those same 3751R MT radials making 470+ WHP, and they grip really well at a tire pressure of ~10-15 PSI.

[youtube]ZQXeldnICzM[/youtube]
Old 05-21-2011, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
He just wants to use the power he has on the street. You guys drive normal 100% of the time on the street? I don't know anyone that mods a street car, strictly to drive it wide open ONLY on a closed race track.
And if you didnt read what I posted. I understand getting excited sometimes, but at some point you will will need to just drive normally.

Do you drive around speeding everywhere using every last bit of your rev range in every gear?? Guess I know who was on "worlds dumbest police chases"
Old 05-22-2011, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DC4KiD
Drag radials are meant to be warmed-up at a lower tire pressure. I have those same 3751R MT radials making 470+ WHP, and they grip really well at a tire pressure of ~10-15 PSI.

[youtube]ZQXeldnICzM[/youtube]
And another thing to consider is if you're driving your drag radials around at low tire pressure odds are they're not going to last too many miles. They'd probably last like a day on these Chicago streets and you'd destroy your rims thanks to the awesome meteor-like craters that we call potholes.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Knownworldwide
Do you drive around speeding everywhere using every last bit of your rev range in every gear?? Guess I know who was on "worlds dumbest police chases"
No but if my car that I've spent thousands of dollars in power just spins spins spins on the street, I'd want to do something to make it hook up better, not just roll over and say "Oh well, I should drive normal anyways."
Old 05-22-2011, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by th3pwn3r
And another thing to consider is if you're driving your drag radials around at low tire pressure odds are they're not going to last too many miles. They'd probably last like a day on these Chicago streets and you'd destroy your rims thanks to the awesome meteor-like craters that we call potholes.
5psi air drop is not going to make them wear out any faster but will help alot with traction.

I haven't gotten into traction suspension on a FWD but I will say in a RWD car traction comes from the suspension, not the tires. Just something to think about maybe.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i do have traction bars, and just want to say to all the people that think this is always being driven hard i think the fastest i been on the highway was 130km lol and this is my daily driver for the summer time , i have never got in trouble with the police or anything like that i DONT drive stupid,

i KNOW i have a fast car i dont have to be flying around like u see people with there 120hp ... i just want to have grip if i feel like getting to 110km quick on the highway i want that feeling ,

ill try lowering the tire pressure and see if that helps . also FIRST race is in 2 weeks ill have to let u guys know if i get my new time goal!!!!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No but if my car that I've spent thousands of dollars in power just spins spins spins on the street, I'd want to do something to make it hook up better, not just roll over and say "Oh well, I should drive normal anyways."
And I as well as eveyone else has offered up suggestions to help him gain traction, Boost by gear would help, a stickier street tire would help, these things might help, but also putting a little restrain in his right foot might be needed in addition to those suggestions. Of course your car seems like traction is not an issue so I wouldnt expect your to understand. Would you like to open up your mouth some more? Arguing is not going to solve anything kid.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Knownworldwide
And I as well as eveyone else has offered up suggestions to help him gain traction, Boost by gear would help, a stickier street tire would help, these things might help, but also putting a little restrain in his right foot might be needed in addition to those suggestions. Of course your car seems like traction is not an issue so I wouldnt expect your to understand. Would you like to open up your mouth some more? Arguing is not going to solve anything kid.
So he should get stickier tires than MT DRs? Since you know so much what exactly would you suggest to make his car hook up? Minus your advice on staying out of boost. And no, traction is no issue for me.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

5psi air drop is not going to make them wear out any faster but will help alot with traction.

I haven't gotten into traction suspension on a FWD but I will say in a RWD car traction comes from the suspension, not the tires. Just something to think about maybe.
I never mentioned a SPECIFIC drop of 5psi. I simply said low tire pressure. Also, a drop in 5psi could make a big difference in wear but that depends on what pressure you're already at. Lol at traction not coming from tires in a RWD car. BRB running skinnies on my 1,000hp Supra.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So he should get stickier tires than MT DRs? Since you know so much what exactly would you suggest to make his car hook up? Minus your advice on staying out of boost. And no, traction is no issue for me.
Stop listening to you.