Notices

Top-Mounts & Cooling

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 06:00 PM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top-Mounts & Cooling

...I did search but didn't see this answered anywhere...

The original plan was to buy the Full-Race ramhorn. But I figure hell why not just buy the top-mount right? So my question is: If I take out the condenser, etc. can I mount a full-size fluidyne basically where the condenser is and clear the turbo/wastegate? Or are you restricted to only a half sized? I just can't seem to understand how a 1/2 sized could give you alot more cooling over a full sized stock one. Basically if a full sized is at all possible with a top-mount then thats what I want.

This is a 90% street car 9% drag car & 1% track car hahaha. Also the next turbo will most likely either be the gt35 or gt40 with a tial 44.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Top-Mounts & Cooling (Dunc)

your most likely going to have to run a half core..the wastegate usually sticks into where the full radiator would be...
Old 11-23-2005, 03:46 AM

Same plan as me he-he.. FR Top Mount and GT35R

The full size oem tho wider is much thinner. The half sized ones (ie fluidine) is much thicker (twice if not more) than the oem = equal or better cooling..
Old 11-23-2005, 04:40 AM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dunc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...I did search but didn't see this answered anywhere...

The original plan was to buy the Full-Race ramhorn. But I figure hell why not just buy the top-mount right? So my question is: If I take out the condenser, etc. can I mount a full-size fluidyne basically where the condenser is and clear the turbo/wastegate? Or are you restricted to only a half sized? I just can't seem to understand how a 1/2 sized could give you alot more cooling over a full sized stock one. Basically if a full sized is at all possible with a top-mount then thats what I want.

This is a 90% street car 9% drag car & 1% track car hahaha. Also the next turbo will most likely either be the gt35 or gt40 with a tial 44.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I understood teh 90% street car BUT 9% drag car and 1% track car? What was the difference with track and drag? You gonna road race too?

Yes will need to run a half core rad with either a ProStreet (ramhorn) or the Pro Am Top Mount sir. No worries at all on the half size radiator! 95% of the top drag cars in T4/SFWD and Hot Rod are running half rads. I made 676whp easily on a half rad C&R. You will be fine sir.
Also if you plan on purchasing these products hit me up I will give you a GREAT DEAL on all of it !
Old 11-23-2005, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Top-Mounts & Cooling (Boostfed.com)

terry nice shameless plug for boostfed
ive never had a problem with my half core. and ive been driving it on the street never overheated in the 3 years ive had it
Old 11-23-2005, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cooling is def a major concern on setups like these, i re-did all sorts of stuff to make a slightly bigger radiator fit in my civic, due to my intercooler core being 5" thick, the radiator didnt get much airflow

are you using an integra chassis? If so there is TONS of space in there compared to a civic...
Old 11-23-2005, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

tons of space in an integra engine bay?! i don't know about that one. lol especially with everything in the way. i'm daily driving my integra with an oem civic dual core radiator. i do fine, not over heating with a slim fan.

my main concern is the heat from the turbo and manifold against my hood.....
Old 11-23-2005, 12:05 PM
BCICAN

Default Re: Top-Mounts & Cooling (Full-Race Geoff)

Geoff: Yes it is a 97 Integra chasis. It has the bumper support still with a Precision 600 and FAL 12" slim fans. I think my main problem is just that currently with the lovefab shorty (log style), the turbo sits about 1/2" from the radiator.....sooo its probably screaming for mercy. Plus I still have the condenser on the car which I'll most likely have to take out by the summer.

When you say you changed alot of stuff, did you get a full size to fit with the top-mount? Is that at all possible with your manifold?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostfed.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I understood teh 90% street car BUT 9% drag car and 1% track car? What was the difference with track and drag? You gonna road race too? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I basically will just go to the drag strip...but there are times every now and then that I like to take it to a road race track day. Road racing is just too much fun haha.

I looked all over their website, and obviously I know there are alot of factors but can anyone give a typical range to the cooling increase when going from a full size OEM to just the half sized Fluidyne? Thanks for all the input guys
Old 11-23-2005, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (undercoverdc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by undercoverdc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tons of space in an integra engine bay?! i don't know about that one. lol especially with everything in the way. i'm daily driving my integra with an oem civic dual core radiator. i do fine, not over heating with a slim fan.

my main concern is the heat from the turbo and manifold against my hood.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

there is definately more space in an integra than in a 88-95 civic. I am 100% sure of this

Im not exactly sure what you are posting about regarding the turbo and mani against your hood??

Modified by Full-Race Geoff at 8:05 PM 11/23/2005

Modified by Full-Race Geoff at 8:07 PM 11/23/2005
Old 11-23-2005, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dunc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When you say you changed alot of stuff, did you get a full size to fit with the top-mount? Is that at all possible with your manifold?

Well I basically will just go to the drag strip...but there are times every now and then that I like to take it to a road race track day. Road racing is just too much fun haha.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

well basically if you want to do any type of road racing, you will definately need the full length radiator. One thing you may want to consider is a setup like our Road-Race specific turbo kit:

http://www.full-race.com/catal...d=844

we have had customers who wanted to road race their turbos cars, and the only way to do it was to keep the heat on full blast for the duration of the laps. The only way to get around this is to increase the engine cooling capacity by increasing radiator surface area (use a bigger radiator)

unfortunately this is the ONLY kit we can get to fit this chassis and use a full length radiator. A top mount kit deifnately will not fit, and our non-ac kits will also definately not fit.

Old 11-23-2005, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have several customers that do HPDE's with no problems using a 1/2 size fluidyne radiator. the highest hp one is a 84.5mm b16, gt3071r, lovefab manifold ~400hp. After the fluidyne he had no problems at the track. he shifts at ~9000rpms
Old 11-23-2005, 04:33 PM
BCICAN

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Full-Race Geoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> unfortunately this is the ONLY kit we can get to fit this chassis and use a full length radiator. A top mount kit deifnately will not fit, and our non-ac kits will also definately not fit. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Can I use a bigger turbo with that manifold/kit...say the GT35 or GT40 if so then I could settle for the ramhorn sytle ? (I might lean toward the GT40 just because the 372 I have right now is beginning to feel slow haha....so I figure like 700 should scare me enough to keep it at 450 hahahaha.) If not, then I'll just stick with the top-mount and get a 1/2 sized and pray/coat every last thing haha. How would you compare a little "beating" on the car in the city to road racing? Like I'm not going insane and ricin' around, but every now and then I might be late for something or just want to have some late night spirited driving between lights.....typically just by myself You thing the 1/2 size would be up to the job of this time of driving?
Old 11-23-2005, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Street driving won't even come close to the amount of heat you'll put into everything on a road course. I'd definitely do a full size if you plan to road race, but otherwise, the half will be fine. Just make sure you have a decent fan on it, preferrably one with a shroud.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my car runs hot with the half core fluidyne and 2 bad *** fans....
Old 11-23-2005, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (D@nnY)

mine runs at 200 degrees. with a TM and a half rady.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fknfast)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fknfast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mine runs at 200 degrees. with a TM and a half rady.</TD></TR></TABLE>

mine was running 196 on the highway on a cool night last night...

in the 95 degree weather it goes up to 235 on the highway ...the stock gauge does nto show past half way till 240
Old 11-23-2005, 10:18 PM
BCICAN

Default Re: (fknfast)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fknfast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mine runs at 200 degrees. with a TM and a half rady.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can live with that if that's a temp during the summer. Is that highway or city temps?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D@nnY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> in the 95 degree weather it goes up to 235 on the highway ...the stock gauge does nto show past half way till 240 </TD></TR></TABLE>

I definitely will not/could not settle for that haha. 235* is just scary

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Street driving won't even come close to the amount of heat you'll put into everything on a road course. I'd definitely do a full size if you plan to road race, but otherwise, the half will be fine. Just make sure you have a decent fan on it, preferrably one with a shroud.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea I have an extra FAL 12" slim line new in the box just sitting around that I'll be using.