Notices

top mount vs ram horn bottom mount aerodynamics

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default top mount vs ram horn bottom mount aerodynamics

this may sound dumb but lets say in my integra i have a full race style top mount with a giant intercooler blocking 80% of the grill. on a daily driver, wouldnt the ram horn or bottom mounts have better flow of direct air into the turbo thus meaning more horsepower and colder IATs vs the top mount which to me in all the pictures i have seen, it looks like the top mount sits your turbo behind your headlight blocking all charging air from outside and thus causing it to suck air from the engine bay which i know is a lot hotter. on the track i know alot of people remove their driver side headlight for fresh air to hit their turbos directly but on the street, wouldnt the bottom and ram horns benefit since there is air rushing through the right side of intercooler by the front grill. idk people maybe my logic is all wrong but maybe some of you will understand what im trying to say
Old 05-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: top mount vs ram horn bottom mount aerodynamics

im also looking around at all the name brand manifolds like full race and all the other fancy ones and i have noticed that the wastegate placement is kinda crappy and always at a direct 90 degree angle from the turbo, doesnt this cause creep. i dont wana pay a bajillion dollars to still have boost creep when my current cast log manifold from ebay which has been true to me for past 3 years only creeps like 1.5 psi at around 6300 rpm. And the spa manifold looks perfect with best wastegate priority i have seen but i dont like how the turbo is flush with hood. its gona melt and mess up my carbon fiber hood like my old taller wastegate did and the angle looks dumb, and im assuming with the adapter plate its only gonna sit higher
Old 05-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly your thought process is flawed when it comes to boosted cars.

People remove their headlight to increase airflow to the turbochargers inlet, which really isnt all that necessary.

A turbo compresses air, the compressed air is hot, thats why an intercooler is after the turbo, to cool down the hot compressed air.

If the overall ambient air temp drops, sure it makes the intake charge cooler and more dense, but the intercooler is what is doing the cooling work.

It wont really matter if your sucking air from the bottom of your motor bay or the top if its hot outside, the compressed air is still going to be hot, and the intercooler then cools it down.

This is why you dont hear people talking about cold air intakes on turbo applications, because even if the air comes into the turbo colder, it is still going to heat up when it gets compressed, then cool back down when it goes through the intercooler.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:35 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

If what you said had any truth to it why do cars get faster et's on the drag strip racing from mid day to night time?
Old 05-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7
If what you said had any truth to it why do cars get faster et's on the drag strip racing from mid day to night time?
Because as I stated when overall ambient air temps drop significantly it does create a cooler denser intake charge.

If its hot out side, it won't matter if the air your turbo is pulling in is from the top or bottom of the motor bay.

Turbos compress air, compressed air is hot, these are basic principles of engineering.

That's why turbo motors need to be intercooled, to cool the hot compressed air.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Why do drag racers spend money on forward facing manifolds? For looks?
Old 05-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why do drag racers spend money on forward facing manifolds? For looks?
Dude, are you reading anything I write?

Drag cars use forward facing manifolds for 2 reasons.

Too utilize a long tube manifold, and to increase air flow to the turbo inlet. NOT to get colder air to the turbo inlet.

Once the air is compressed by the turbo it is hot, and has to be cooled by an intercooler.

Using a top vs bottom mount manifold will have no significant effect on iat's or power production in terms of drawing cooler air from the bottom of the bay vs the top.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:43 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Old 05-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Shodan.....Am I completely off base here in your mind?

Is having a top mount vs. bottom mount going to impact IAT's?

Will using a top mount reduce power levels vs. an equal bottom mount manifold because of the air temp difference at the turbo inlet?
Old 05-17-2012, 08:30 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Old 05-17-2012, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not so fast, I still 100% agree with the statements I have made, it's logic.
Unless a known turbo expert like shodan tells me I'm wrong.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:50 AM

I'll make this quick...

The IATs will not be affected either way between the Topmount and Bottom mount manifolds. Having a "cold air" open inlet on the track helps slightly with converted charge air into airflow at the initial conversion..that's it. i've seen some hp changes as much as 20whp, but not much more (depending upon size over mid-framed size turbos). Boosted D is right, for 90% of charge air converted is cooled by the intercooler, not at the turbo itself.

If the overall ambient air temp drops, sure it makes the intake charge cooler and more dense, but the intercooler is what is doing the cooling work.

It wont really matter if your sucking air from the bottom of your motor bay or the top if its hot outside, the compressed air is still going to be hot, and the intercooler then cools it down.

So, Boosted_D is 90% right (which is good enough .).
"This is why you dont hear people talking about cold air intakes on turbo applications, because even if the air comes into the turbo colder, it is still going to heat up when it gets compressed, then cool back down when it goes through the intercooler. "
Old 05-17-2012, 10:07 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by boosted_D

People remove their headlight to increase airflow to the turbochargers inlet, which really isnt all that necessary.

these are basic principles of engineering.
I disagreed with these parts only just got too lazy to post.
Its physics
Good info though
Look up a votex tube itll blow your mind about compressed air
Old 05-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Prepare for the long sentence but bare with me here.

ok so IN OTHER WORDS a manifold that mounts the turbo on top where the compressor is blocked from all fresh air or at least in my case will have slightly less and but barley noticeable horsepower compared to a manifold of equal length and size that mounts it on bottom where the compressor is exposed to fresh air from the grill due to the fact that once the car is moving foward, the colder air from outside rushes directly into the grill and to the turbo compressor instead of sucking hotter air from engine bay without any air rushing toward it
Old 05-18-2012, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by slayer423
Prepare for the long sentence but bare with me here.

ok so IN OTHER WORDS a manifold that mounts the turbo on top where the compressor is blocked from all fresh air or at least in my case will have slightly less and but barley noticeable horsepower compared to a manifold of equal length and size that mounts it on bottom where the compressor is exposed to fresh air from the grill due to the fact that once the car is moving foward, the colder air from outside rushes directly into the grill and to the turbo compressor instead of sucking hotter air from engine bay without any air rushing toward it
Again.. only a slight difference, especially between top mount and a front mount. In drag racing, they count for everything as a factor. Plus a Front mount will help with front weight to the tires..

So for your purposes and argument, no.. it won't matter much.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Again.. only a slight difference, especially between top mount and a front mount. In drag racing, they count for everything as a factor. Plus a Front mount will help with front weight to the tires..

So for your purposes and argument, no.. it won't matter much.
yea i use my integra for drag racing but also a daily driver 95 percent of the time. coo.

CLOSE THIS THREAD
Old 05-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

omg, now i know why i stay in drag forum....
Old 05-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Manifold of different size and lengths will make different power.
Now mounting the intake pipe high or low, doesnt matter to much because the turbo will heat it back up.
Now if the outside temp is overall lower then that will effect the max temp of the air.
I.e. if its 20deg f out side your get more power then it being 100deg f out.
If its 80deg f outside and you move the turbo inlet down to tje ground its going to take in 80deg air. Move it uptop to the hood and it will take in say 83-85deg, but then the turbo will compress that and it will still hit the intake at around 100deg.

Best band for power is ice or spray the cooler to drop the over all temp of the compressed air.